Sons V Airdrie

6 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Agree with everything you say Jan but comparing Jones to Nish is a bit of a riddy. Jones is not good enough.

He's not pretty to watch, but he was effective at times today. The Nish comparison is based on two factors; the way he flicks between looking like some sort of complete League One targetman capable of pulling off some really neat skill for such a big guy, only to fall over his own legs and be beaten in the air 14 times in a row by a full-back half his size, and the fact that his ungainly appearance makes him an easy target - especially when things aren't going well.

Assuming Denny is fit then I'd imagine he'll pair with Wilson, and based on what I've seen of him so far I'd be pleased with that. But I do think Jones gets a bit of a hard time, imo if he was about 6"1 or something and not just all arms and legs he wouldn't get anywhere near as much stick.

1 minute ago, Jan Vojáček said:

He's not pretty to watch, but he was effective at times today. The Nish comparison is based on two factors; the way he flicks between looking like some sort of complete League One targetman capable of pulling off some really neat skill for such a big guy, only to fall over his own legs and be beaten in the air 14 times in a row by a full-back half his size, and the fact that his ungainly appearance makes him an easy target - especially when things aren't going well.

Assuming Denny is fit then I'd imagine he'll pair with Wilson, and based on what I've seen of him so far I'd be pleased with that. But I do think Jones gets a bit of a hard time, imo if he was about 6"1 or something and not just all arms and legs he wouldn't get anywhere near as much stick.

Nish used his size constantly and brought others into play. Jones spends a good 90% of the time out of position, chasing shadows and rarely keeps the ball. I just can't see the Nish comparison.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

Nish used his size constantly and brought others into play. Jones spends a good 90% of the time out of position, chasing shadows and rarely keeps the ball. I just can't see the Nish comparison.

Jones 100% needs to work on his positional play, but I genuinely think there are similarities there - especially in the way they are treated by fans who see huge lads and expect them to win plenty in the air, which neither of them do. 

The way Jones set up the first goal was excellent though, drifting into a bit of space and then playing an excellent ball to his more mobile strikepartner. As the season progresses and he gets gametime under his belt at this level (and with more Duffy coaching) we'll know if he's good enough for this level, but there's definitely something there imo. Not someone who is going to bag 15 goals or whatever, but a useful League One player nonetheless. 

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Jones 100% needs to work on his positional play, but I genuinely think there are similarities there - especially in the way they are treated by fans who see huge lads and expect them to win plenty in the air, which neither of them do. 

The way Jones set up the first goal was excellent though, drifting into a bit of space and then playing an excellent ball to his more mobile strikepartner. As the season progresses and he gets gametime under his belt at this level (and with more Duffy coaching) we'll know if he's good enough for this level, but there's definitely something there imo. Not someone who is going to bag 15 goals or whatever, but a useful League One player nonetheless. 

100% that last paragraph. The first goal doesn’t happen without a great deal of very good work from Jones. It was ugly even as he was doing it, but he took an awkward ball down under pressure, worked some space and played a perfectly weighted through ball. Without wanting to age myself he has the potential to be the Andy Brown to a Paddy Flannery (assuming we have someone who could play the latter role).

3 minutes ago, GordyBrow said:

100% that last paragraph. The first goal doesn’t happen without a great deal of very good work from Jones. It was ugly even as he was doing it, but he took an awkward ball down under pressure, worked some space and played a perfectly weighted through ball. Without wanting to age myself he has the potential to be the Andy Brown to a Paddy Flannery (assuming we have someone who could play the latter role).

Andy Brown was brilliant and very unfairly didn’t get the credit he deserved! His goal against Peterhead in the 3-0 penultimate game of the promotion season is one of my favourite Sons goals.

1 minute ago, FifeSons said:

Andy Brown was brilliant and very unfairly didn’t get the credit he deserved! His goal against Peterhead in the 3-0 penultimate game of the promotion season is one of my favourite Sons goals.

I’ve long felt that he was under appreciated and was definitely the glue that made that particular partnership work. He did so much work and I honestly feel Paddy really benefited from it all.

Is that the goal he bent into the top corner from outside the box by any chance?

6 minutes ago, GordyBrow said:

I’ve long felt that he was under appreciated and was definitely the glue that made that particular partnership work. He did so much work and I honestly feel Paddy really benefited from it all.

Is that the goal he bent into the top corner from outside the box by any chance?

That’s the one!

19 minutes ago, GordyBrow said:

I remember both loving the goal and being so happy for him that he got a moment to show his quality.

The break up of that partnership was heartbreaking for a young me.

Technically the partnership continued. Unfortunately it was at Stenny!

Edited by FifeSons

16 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Wedderburn divided opinion among our fans last season but I was always a fan of him as long as he was used right (i.e. other more energetic players need to make up for his lack of pace). He's a classy player that's very tidy on the ball and passes the ball very well.

Big Nat is what he is, an excellent footballer but his lack of pace gets exposed at times.

21 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Big Nat is what he is, an excellent footballer but his lack of pace gets exposed at times.

I'm pretty sure I posted on the Dumbarton thread that games like Saturday where Dumbarton get a result, big nat will look like an absolute rolls royce. But possibly the 1-0 defeats away to Peterhead or Clyde is where he'll be anonymous.