Sons V Airdrie

There was a fair element of smash'n grab about that but on the whole it was a very disciplined and competent Sons performance.  I wrote recently that Jamie Wilson put me in mind of Charlie Gibson, and whilst that was tongue in cheek, the Great Man would have been proud of these two goals today.  A better partner than the very erratic Jones would be a help.  Airdrie came at us in waves but they lacked a bit of composure at times, and Neill and McGeever will eat high balls all day. 

An unexpected victory perhaps, but in a league which will again be dog-eat-dog, four points from two away fixtures is a decent start.

That was a pathetic performance and result. And sadly predictable. Was obvious all of last season and the games so far this season that we desperately need a better final ball and more quality going forward. But yet Murray still does nothing about it. I've had more time for Murray than most but it's hard to defend him when it's the same problems every week - lack of quality going forward, poor final ball, a different (and strange) team selection every week, no plan B, haphazard/kamikaze substitutes and playing percentage football which doesn't work. We weren't even difficult to beat today. Poor stuff all round. Credit to Dumbarton though.They took their goals well, defended solidly and saw the game out as they needed to. Once again, we are really going to struggle to break teams down if/when we concede first. Not good enough.

Edited by airdrieman

That was far easier than expected. I did suspect that with Airdrie signing up every player that became available (many of them seemed a bit bizarre) that they would lack quality. Seen a few mention they think Airdrie will be at the top end of the table but on that showing they will be nowhere near it.

Abysmal performance and team selection from Airdrie today. There's absolutely no reason why we shouldn't be up at the top end of the table with our squad (which is largely the same as last season's plus a few players who actually look decent when they're used) but we won't get close playing like that. Ian Murray seems to have a vandetta against creative players, and it'll be a shame if O'Reilly, Sabatini, Stokes and Robert get the same treatment that Dean Hawkshaw got last season.

When I saw the line up, then heard Dabrowski was injured in the warm up, I was ready for lumping on Airdrie -2. Absolutely delighted with that performance. Wedderburn was a fucking rolls royce, everything nice and easy and his ball through for Wilson, who then turned Airdrie inside out at the second goal, was tremendous. Hamilton put in a great shift again in a position he hasn't played previously, he looks a great addition.

Wilson and Wedderburn the stand outs for me. Wilson is a hard worker and has smart movement, interested to see him and Denny up top as Jones is still far from what we need for me.

I enjoyed that much more than I thought I was going to.

Wilson does indeed look good and a solid performance from the back and midfield 4s. Two excellent saves from Smith at crucial points. It must be a worry though that we appear now to have two injured keepers. Just seen the comment by Moonster and would agree about Wedderburn. Carswell, Neil and McGeever fairly put a shift in too.

Never going to grumble at taking three points away from home but thought we deserved that. Solid at the back with Smith pulling off a couple of great saves and Nat’s through ball for the second goal was delicious. Wilson a standout but also a shout to Rico who I thought was also very good today.

Hard to tell how Airdrie will do this season but I expect they’ll play better than that this season. Looked a bit toothless up front.

Dumbarton did what was needed: score first (not offside) , defend with composure, get the goalie to save and then score again. Airdrie then go to the usual lumping forward and it was well managed by Dumbarton. Had Airdrie a decent midfield rather than 2 CBs and the ability to improve on final ball, it might have been different. But mights don't win games .  I do have to wonder about our summer signings since Murray drops them/does not choose them . And I do not wish to see us playing in that Albion Rovers "outfit"- why was our glorious diamond not on show!  

I thought we were really good today and thoroughly deserved the victory. Not one bad player put in a performance below a 7/10 - and a special mention to big PC Wallace Christopher Smith. I had the fear when Polish Kev went down in the warmup, but the big man came in and was superb. Two outstanding saves at key moments in the game and played on when it looked like his leg had fallen off. 

Right from the start we had a bit of tempo and pace about us, and that's not something I've seen all season - and feared we'd lack. Wilson was buzzing about and reminds me of a prime Mark Stewart, not just in hairline, but in the way he plays. He harried defenders, played on the shoulder, didn't stop working for the full 87 minutes he was on - and of course took his goals really nicely. Just a shame Leon McCann has nicked the credit for his wild second. Looking forward to seeing it again, but at the time I couldn't believe how many times he turned the defenders inside and out.

Fair play to the much maligned Robert Jones too. He really is just Colin Nish again. His set-up play and through ball for the first goal was excellent and he caused Airdrie issues. He looked done after 75 minutes or so mind you, so we really do need more options up there and could do with Denny being back fit pronto.

In midfield, and as has been mentioned, Wedderburn cruised through the game. He's just such a classy player and - whilst I accept his clumsy fouls can be frustrating - I'm a big fan. His touch is something else and he proved this afternoon he has a great eye for a pass. Alongside him Carsy put in a good shift cracking into the challenges, and wee Chris Hamilton continues to impress. I cannot believe he is a centre-back by trade - he looks the most natural winger we've had in ages!

Defensively we were fairly solid and protected big Wallace well. McGeever and Neill were fairly untroubled, Wardrop was a threat going forward and decent defensively (although did almost get caught out a few times) and Rico Quitongo looks back to his old self. That was an incredible run he went on just after the second goal too, I thought he was finally going to score!

As for Airdrie, well they didn't look a patch on the Diamonds teams who battered us last season. Last year I was blown away by the intensity that they played up and how well organised they were, but there was none of that today. They looked absolutely bog standard right across the park and really lacked the intensity and pace that they played at last season. That's not to say they were slow, but they looked easier to play against and didn't pin us in.

I was excited to see Thomas Robert, and he certainly looked more lively than Craig Thomson when he came on, but I didn't see anything to suggest he was one of the hottest young talents in European football. Strange that he ended up on the bench though, because he still had a bit of drive and creativity about him.

A final word goes to the kits on display today. A crime to have Airdrie not playing in their home kit at home, and I had to double take when they took to the park looking (and indeed playing) like Albion Rovers. On our front that new kit looks absolutely smashing, the sponsors all compliment it well and it was worth the wait to see in the flesh. Looking forward to the one I ordered about 14 years ago being delivered. 

Tl;dr version. Sons - surprisingly good. Airdrie - surprisingly bad.

Edited by Jan Vojáček