Ship hijacking

I worked on the world greatest ocean liner in the 90s. En route to Hamburg from Southampton for a refit the SBS raided the ship to do a practice.
All the passengers has disembarked so there was only crew on. I think the Captain and ships security were aware in advance but none of the rest of the crew were. I slept through the whole thing and didn’t find out about it till the next day when I saw all these guys going round the ship with sub machine guns!
They then spent the rest of the trip getting pissed in the crew bar.

3 years ago to the month I was sailing my swanlike boat off the coast of Lopburi Zoo pond with my 5 yo son as my captains mate.  We were attacked from the right flank from an unknown and unsigned vessel. Their "skipper" proceeded to talk in a foreign language at high decibel volume, something to do with "water in his boat and needs help". I didn't have my phrase book handy at that precise time of need. Therefore, peddled  as fast a my wee legs to go....safe to say I can tell the story, unlike the unfortunate skipper and young child....

Question is, why did I take 4 life jackets on board while this sad c**t had zero....... 

Edited by SlipperyP

4 hours ago, Dunfermline Don said:

I worked on the world greatest ocean liner in the 90s. En route to Hamburg from Southampton for a refit the SBS raided the ship to do a practice.
All the passengers has disembarked so there was only crew on. I think the Captain and ships security were aware in advance but none of the rest of the crew were. I slept through the whole thing and didn’t find out about it till the next day when I saw all these guys going round the ship with sub machine guns!
They then spent the rest of the trip getting pissed in the crew bar.

I was working on an oil platform when they boarded and did their thing. It was impressive to say the least!

1 hour ago, Futureboy said:

I was working on an oil platform when they boarded and did their thing. It was impressive to say the least!

Guy I used to work had that happen on his old rig he worked on in the southern sector. They got onboard, photographed themselves in various locations about the rig and got into the control room, without anyone (OIM, OPS super and CRO excluded) having a clue about it. Had their breakfast and fucked off again. 

Guy I used to work had that happen on his old rig he worked on in the southern sector. They got onboard, photographed themselves in various locations about the rig and got into the control room, without anyone (OIM, OPS super and CRO excluded) having a clue about it. Had their breakfast and fucked off again. 

The Chef would have known hence the breakfast.
Screenshot_20201026-073717_Chrome.jpeg

Tbh this story is bit of a let down after seeing the headlines.

The operation was launched after Hampshire Police received reports that a "number of stowaways" were on board and had made "verbal threats towards the crew".

12 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Why do they need to jump out of helicopters?  Why must this be done at night?  What evidence is there that the stowaways are armed?

You’ve really no thought this through have you.

11 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

They don’t need to jump from helicopters at night.

It would appear that's exactly what they did, seems like you didn't really think this one through.

1)  They use helicopters because it's difficult to get on a tanker from another boat if they're not helping.  The sides of an unladen tanker are 50ft high vertical steel walls that are moving. They don't leave convenient ladders hanging off the side.

2) They board at night because darkness hides their approach and gives them something of an element of surprise. 

3) The ship's crew reported the stowaways had become violent so they were hiding in a locked room. Reasonable to assume they'd armed themselves, if only with knives.