Greenock Morton vs Ayr United

Good grief that is hilariously bad by us.
Fair play to Morton for realising just dump the ball on top of our defenders and let them do the rest.
Morton could possibly have spared us that collapse in doing so earlier, but it's far better banter doing it the way it transpired.

On the day of Halloween that was definitely a "horror show" in defence, sorry i couldn't resist.....

The 1st goal is absolutely shocking defending by Roscoe and just sums up what i think about how bad he is with dealing with any form of high ball in behind, he always give me the fear in those situations. Don't understand why he makes no attempt to intercept the flight of the pass or even just boot it to f**k. Almost as if he didn't know the Morton player was there.

The 2nd goal is a weird one, i think Reading has honestly just completely mistimed the flight of the ball and his direction of the header, the way he's positioned he looks all set to head it away like normal but somehow balls it up, unsure if ball maybe slowed up in the wind but the long ball certainly was straight enough so not as if the wind veered it at the last minute of anything. 

3rd goal is a balls up between Houston and Miller, none of them follow the runner coming in at the back post and tbh i think the goalie should be really saving it. 

Muirhead red was spot on although pleased it wasn't out of anger, looks like he was just trying to boot the ball out but the Morton guy has got a toe to it first meaning he's just wiped the guy out up the shin. Could be more than a 1 match ban tbh, could have been a leg breaker.

On a positive note, we looked absolutely sensational in attack and scoring goals shouldn't be an issue, keeping them out at the other end however looks like it might be more of a problem......

Anderson should have scored a couple in the first half . That could have sent us on the road to three points . Then you come to the defending at the end , oh dear God  , shocking doesn’t cover it . 

Looks like the Pars will be piling high balls onto Roscoe all day long this coming Saturday .. 

The defending at those 3 goals is brutal. Having lost a goal to a ball humped long into the box you would expect someone to think it might be an idea to stop Morton lumping the ball into the box. No, we sit back 30 yards from goal, no press on the ball and concede 2 more shockers. Just stop them playing it long.

1 hour ago, rb123! said:

Muirhead red was spot on although pleased it wasn't out of anger, looks like he was just trying to boot the ball out but the Morton guy has got a toe to it first meaning he's just wiped the guy out up the shin. Could be more than a 1 match ban tbh, could have been a leg breaker.

It will be a two match suspension. Serious foul play, 1st red card of the season.

It's a horrible challenge and he has the temerity to turn around and point at the ball after it. I can only assume he is saying to the referee "that's what I was trying to kick" because he's nowhere near it.

Ayr supporters must be very confused... on one hand, from middle to front they look as good as anybody in the league bar Hearts... On the other, every team in the league will have seen what happens when you just lump long balls into the box... rarely seen chaos like it. Not even as if we had anyone in particular up there to cause problems; you literally did that all by yourselves...

Wee word also about the young goalkeeper, who looked from the highlights as if he just retreated to his line when the pressure came on. Think I’d be worried about that most of all...

2 hours ago, North British said:

Anderson should have scored a couple in the first half . That could have sent us on the road to three points . Then you come to the defending at the end , oh dear God  , shocking doesn’t cover it . 

Looks like the Pars will be piling high balls onto Roscoe all day long this coming Saturday .. 

Yeah the minute they scored the 1st it was an absolute park the bus job

43 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Ayr supporters must be very confused... on one hand, from middle to front they look as good as anybody in the league bar Hearts... On the other, every team in the league will have seen what happens when you just lump long balls into the box... rarely seen chaos like it. Not even as if we had anyone in particular up there to cause problems; you literally did that all by yourselves...

Wee word also about the young goalkeeper, who looked from the highlights as if he just retreated to his line when the pressure came on. Think I’d be worried about that most of all...

To be honest, not trying to be funny, but I don't recognise this desciption of Ayr United at all. Not saying it's not accurate, but it's not at all what we saw in our game. They offered not very much at all in an attacking sense, scored with two set piece corners (doesn't everyone against us?) and looked fairly capable of heading high balls away from their own box all day, no bother, albeit Baird should have been sent off which might have changed the dynamic.

The point I'm making I guess is that it's dangerous to draw long term conclusions from one off performances.

3 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

To be honest, not trying to be funny, but I don't recognise this desciption of Ayr United at all. Not saying it's not accurate, but it's not at all what we saw in our game. They offered not very much at all in an attacking sense, scored with two set piece corners (doesn't everyone against us?) and looked fairly capable of heading high balls away from their own box all day, no bother, albeit Baird should have been sent off which might have changed the dynamic.

The point I'm making I guess is that it's dangerous to draw long term conclusions from one off performances.

Yeah if that game stopped at 80 minutes yesterday it would have been our best performance of the season by miles, Cammy Smith hadn't signed by the time we played you and also Anderson had been away for Scotland so there had been no real training with them all. Think yesterday was the first time them all training together is beginning to show off. Not sure what we're doing defensively in training mind you.

1 hour ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

As a link up player Moffat is one of the best in Scotland. A bald Paul scholes.

8 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Hard to tell from the highlights but Ayr looked in control until donkey Muirhead got sent off. Moffat and Smith controlling things. 

Moff was having a great game.  In hindsight it was the wrong move taking him off for Houston after the red card - should have been Anderson

24 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Moff was having a great game.  In hindsight it was the wrong move taking him off for Houston after the red card - should have been Anderson

^This.

Moffat always provides an out, I'm never in favour of him being subbed even when he's not playing well as he's such a linchpin for the team. I hope he keeps it going this season, he was the same at the start of last season and then his form dipped. Hopefully he gets that 100th goal soon as well.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Fair enough... but I saw enough in ten minutes of highlights to confirm what I already know about Smith, Moffat, McCowan, Chalmers, and Murdoch, plus a first look at Bruce Anderson, who should do really well in this league. These are very, very good players.

If Ayr had managed to pick up, say, Jamie MacDonald and big Fjortoft, you’d back them to finish second. As it is, they deserve the ‘wildcard’ description I gave them before the season: really good for this league from middle to front... and fragile as hell behind that.

Suffered my way through the highlights just to see again how comical our defending was in those last ten minutes, and sure enough, every bit as bad as I thought at the time.

Did get a laugh at Hopkin calling them “fantastic” and “well worked” goals though!

4 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

If only there was a Ayr-Queen of the South match thread where you could share these fascinating* but ultimately irrelevant reflections.

1 hour ago, munro7 said:

Suffered my way through the highlights just to see again how comical our defending was in those last ten minutes, and sure enough, every bit as bad as I thought at the time.

Did get a laugh at Hopkin calling them “fantastic” and “well worked” goals though!

To a degree they were well worked from a Hopkinball point of view. As soon as Ayr defenders got rattled and started inexplicably swiping clearances in all directions, Morton's backline set up camp on the hallway line and lobbed one high ball into the box after another instead of fannying about with it instead, while the midfielders pushed up towards the Ayr box. Blues - playing central midfielder - was barely six yards out from goal when the header fell to him for the second goal despite being a central midfielder on paper and it was a left wing back who pops up unmarked in the box for the winner. 

It was very similar to the 3-2 comeback against Partick last season not just in the scoreline but also in the way that as soon as the opponent showed one weakness it was then brutally exposed. Despite being alarmingly poor for a good hour of the game yesterday, that trait will get us enough points to be okay at this level.

Spoiler

Nah not really.

image.png.5326af5ad9ce06482be610786fb70f39.png

10 hours ago, virginton said:

If only there was a Ayr-Queen of the South match thread where you could share these fascinating* but ultimately irrelevant reflections.

Reveal hidden contents

Nah not really.

image.png.5326af5ad9ce06482be610786fb70f39.png

😂😂😂

As if such considerations have ever stopped YOU from sticking yer neb in *  where it's not wanted. 

* (postscript later edited on humanitarian grounds as comment was virgin on the borders of bad taste. Rather like vt himself, actually).

Edited by Rudolph Hucker