Greenock Morton vs Ayr United

Does Kerr not take some responsibility for the discipline of the team as well? We’re 3 games in and seen two red cards.
McCowan and Muirhead are nutters but I don’t remember them getting so many red cards under the previous manager.

Short of dropping them completely I don’t see what else he’s to do. Muirhead has had issues through his career and although he didn’t get too many red cards under McCall I don’t remember him playing as often due to Rose and Bell and then Bell and Adams.

McCowan is clearly a very angry player. McCall said as much at the tail end of the season he broke through and said he’d have to watch that but it seems to go both for him and against him at times. Perhaps once the likes of Zanatta and Walsh come back we can see McCowan used less frequently but it’s ultimately down to the players to control themselves on the pitch.

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Short of dropping them completely I don’t see what else he’s to do. Muirhead has had issues through his career and although he didn’t get too many red cards under McCall I don’t remember him playing as often due to Rose and Bell and then Bell and Adams.

McCowan is clearly a very angry player. McCall said as much at the tail end of the season he broke through and said he’d have to watch that but it seems to go both for him and against him at times. Perhaps once the likes of Zanatta and Walsh come back we can see McCowan used less frequently but it’s ultimately down to the players to control themselves on the pitch.

To be fair to him, McCowan’s link up was excellent at times today. 

To be fair to him, McCowan’s link up was excellent at times today. 

Aye he was fantastic for the second goal. He’s one of those guys who seems to be better when he’s angry and that’s always going to risk a sending off.

To say I’m angry is an understatement. Second week on the trot we’ve pissed on our own chips . I am one of Aero’s biggest defenders but leaving us short like that (second time) is unacceptable. Other Ayr fans should remember that Luke has done the very same , but the the anger at him seems much less . Anyway the issue is what to do , what to do . Had we had a more experienced type at centre half or centre midfield we could have managed that game out . Although at the same time , had we been more potent up front , the game could have killed.

Bottom line , we aren’t a bad team , but fine tuning is required  . Huge test next week though . Also fare play to Morton .

5 minutes ago, North British said:

To say I’m angry is an understatement. Second week on the trot we’ve pissed on our own chips . I am one of Aero’s biggest defenders but leaving us short like that (second time) is unacceptable. Other Ayr fans should remember that Luke has done the very same , but the the anger at him seems much less . Anyway the issue is what to do , what to do . Had we had a more experienced type at centre half or centre midfield we could have managed that game out . Although at the same time , had we been more potent up front , the game could have killed.

Bottom line , we aren’t a bad team , but fine tuning is required  . Huge test next week though . Also fare play to Morton .

Pretty huge difference in that McCowan did it in the last few minutes whereas Muirhead completely hung the team out to dry with a large part of the game remaining. 

Both stupid, however. 

Blaming Muirhead is deflection on our part. The guys a ticking bomb, Kerr knew that when he gave him a two year deal. He will do that to us at least once or twice a season.

We were 2 goals up with 7/8 minutes to go, you shouldn't be losing at that point. I personally think the subs were too passive, removing our outballs and leaving us returning possession to Morton attack after attack. Even then Morton were fairly toothless so I can to a degree understand the subs. Someone mentioned this last week with the passive subs post us taking our lead and we did the same this week.

Also, Baird is captain and our most experienced defender. He should be calming the other guys down in defence after the first goes in. I'm not convinced he is a leader or even achieved that tbqh.

I am extremely frustrated right now but Kerr has serious questions to answer. Game management is non existent.  I hope he won't blame it on 10 men as that's a strawman argument. It was undoubtedly a factor but not the critical one.

26 minutes ago, Killiefaewell said:

£14 well spent lol.

Morton's output was well worth £14 thanks. 

Ayr looked pretty comfortable, even after that sending off, but as soon as Oliver got the goal they just completely collapsed. Still not particularly pleased with overall performance but I can’t knock that comeback at all. The players clearly give a toss which hasn’t been the case in quite a few other Morton teams.

I'm obviously gutted about our capitulation and really angry at Muirhead for his utter stupidity, however I thought we played some excellent stuff today with Chalmers looking classy, Murdoch outstanding, Moffat, McCowan & Anderson always looked dangerous with some lovely link up play and Cammy Smith was just superb and unplayable at times.

Fair play to Morton though, they looked dead and buried with under 10 mins to go yet stuck at it, didn't give up and ultimately they walked away with the three points.

Good presentation and commentary and in particular I enjoyed listening to Andy Ritchie.

As I say, there will be good days ahead for this Ayr side, of that I'm sure.