British Summer Time

vikingTON

Clocks Going Back  

85 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The clocks go back overnight from British Summer Time to the natural time zone for this rain-drenched rock in the Atlantic. In recent years, there have been discussions in Parliament and among (mostly) English politicians about staying on summer time all year round: meaning lighter evenings instead of the dark at half 4 misery we can expect to face from tomorrow. Would this be the right thing to do for the UK/independent Scotland?

I'm disappointed that we're not using the current pandemic as a test run for the idea. With so many people WFH, the problem of waking up to darker mornings and doing the rush hour commute barely exists any more. On the other hand, the ability to go out in the late afternoon daylight for some fresh air and exercise could be a free way of alleviating the mental and physical health impacts of lockdown measures this winter. Punt the old time zone into the sea and embrace year-round summer time IMO. 

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

The clocks go back overnight from British Summer Time to the natural time zone for this rain-drenched rock in the Atlantic. In recent years, there have been discussions in Parliament and among (mostly) English politicians about staying on summer time all year round: meaning lighter evenings instead of the dark at half 4 misery we can expect to face from tomorrow. Would this be the right thing to do for the UK/independent Scotland?

I'm disappointed that we're not using the current pandemic as a test run for the idea. With so many people WFH, the problem of waking up to darker mornings and doing the rush hour commute barely exists any more. On the other hand, the ability to go out in the late afternoon daylight for some fresh air and exercise could be a free way of alleviating the mental and physical health impacts of lockdown measures this winter. Punt the old time zone into the sea and embrace year-round summer time IMO. 

100% agreed. I'm an early riser but would still rather avoid the depressing sight of darkness an hour before finishing work

4 minutes ago, philpy said:

It's a tricky one for Sad sufferers. My wife being one, the dark cold mornings and nights would make no difference under a different guise. 

Surely a divorce would be better for her rather than the changing of the clocks :P

I work in construction and just now it’s too dark to properly start work at 730 and in a months time, even when the clocks go back it’s long after 8 am when you can properly see everything you need to get your work done. Something seems pretty in natural about it still being pretty much pitch black at 9 am so I’m up for keeping things as they are. 

7 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Keep it as is at this point, but revert back to BST in late February, rather than late March.

Always wondered why the clocks go back 2 months before the winter solstice but don't go forward until 3 months after it???

18 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

I've never understood why farmers don't just set a different alarm if it's so important to them and leave the rest of us to it.

Farmers don't want to get up a 4am in the summer and everyone gets an extra hour of daylight for late night summer drinking.

Now Summer is done we are moving back to normal time.

1 minute ago, Lurkst said:

Always wondered why the clocks go back 2 months before the winter solstice but don't go forward until 3 months after it???

Yes, that's my thinking.

The onset of that winter thing of dark evenings seems about right at this point.  There is also an argument to relieve the darkness during the mornings.  A late February reversion to BST, however, would be a welcome introduction of a sense of spring at that point.

I don't think there's a need for the two systems to be of equal length, so that existing imbalance isn't a problem.  It does seem unnecessary though that we have GMT  for much longer after the shortest day than we do before it.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, that's my thinking.

The onset of that winter thing of dark evenings seems about right at this point.  There is also an argument to relieve the darkness during the mornings.  A late February reversion to BST, however, would be a welcome introduction of a sense of spring at that point.

I don't think there's a need for the two systems to be of equal length, so that existing imbalance isn't a problem.  It does seem unnecessary though that we have GMT  for much longer after the shortest day than we do before it.

America has even longer Summer Time than the EU. Clocks won't be changing until after Hallowe'en and they switch to Summer time earlier in march too.

Just now, Marshmallo said:

I'm sure Westminster proposed stopping this and some nutjob Dundee fan on here said it was a purposeful ploy to kill Scottish children

There is a fairly well-known urban myth that prior to the clocks changing to make it lighter in the mornings accident statistics involving kids getting hit while going to school in the dark were much, much higher. Obviously this isn't borne out by any actual, you know, evidence of it actually happening, but there are still quite a few folk who will swear blind it happened 'the next town over from me'.

Just now, Gaz said:

There is a fairly well-known urban myth that prior to the clocks changing to make it lighter in the mornings accident statistics involving kids getting hit while going to school in the dark were much, much higher. Obviously this isn't borne out by any actual, you know, evidence of it actually happening, but there are still quite a few folk who will swear blind it happened 'the next town over from me'.

Do the people peddling this have "two weans", by any chance?