Cove vs Thistle 31st October

The improvement isn't even minimal, this side is no better than Caldwell's team.  McCall would need to go unbeaten in his next 9 games to match Caldwell's record at the point he was sacked.

No changes during the game and a piss poor starting XI where awful performances in previous games from the likes of Gordon and Foster seem to have no consequences on their place in the team. McCall got the benefit of the doubt due to circumstances out of his control this year but we're 6 games into the season including the cup and yet to play well for any longer than a half in any game.

2 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Cove will be a very difficult place to go this season . Pitch looks dreadful and the ground looks very open. Will be a hard place for any team to pick up points.

Fair point well made but is evidence of how far we have fallen in such a short period. Seems no one involved in the running of my club have learned anything from the obvious mistakes made over the past 2 years. 

On 27/10/2020 at 18:29, CoveRangers1922 said:

So far we've started with Mitch up front and Jamie Semple playing the number 10 position behind him. Masson and McIntosh out wide and playing fairly high up.

Rory hasn't looked great since he came to us. To be honest he's past it and probably his level is L2. Once was deadly. He's got zero pace and not good enough for our starting 11. He'll be warming the bench for the rest of the season. I thought Hartley would look to sign another striker on loan in fact but so far he hasn't.

Saturday will be interesting. Partick are clearly a good side for L1 and have ambitions to bounce right back into the championship. Cove have similar plans to be promoted. Intrigued to see how we fare.

Rory paid off some of his transfer fee today for you boys

Mr 1922 is eternally down playing Cove but whether they played well or not they have the wonderful habit of winning - and big Rory scoring the winner justifies his money for this week.  Falkirk the dangers but no surprise if (covid permitting!) Cove go up this year

Deluded McCall just won't take responsibility for our failings and errors - https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-match-reaction/managers-reaction-ian-mccall-31st-october-2020/.

"I don’t think it was ever going to be a great game of football with the weather, and that didn’t suit either team, but we had a few good openings. Also, we got into some really good crossing positions but our delivery was really poor and we didn’t take advantage of the set piece opportunities we had either.

“Despite that, I think the attitude was excellent and to a man they worked their socks off. If we had managed a 1-0, I don’t think it would have flattered us but ultimately it came down to one single moment where they’ve been able to capitalise on our mistake.”

McCall had been pleased with the way his side limited Cove throughout the 90 minutes which made it even more difficult to see his side concede late on.

“I can’t remember them having a chance before the goal to be honest, not a clear one anyway. If we come off with the draw then you can say well done, the attitude was great because it wasn’t really a game of football but we then gift them a winner. Now, we have to regroup and get a win next weekend and then build a run from there.”

13 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Deluded McCall just won't take responsibility for our failings and errors - https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-match-reaction/managers-reaction-ian-mccall-31st-october-2020/.

"I don’t think it was ever going to be a great game of football with the weather, and that didn’t suit either team, but we had a few good openings. Also, we got into some really good crossing positions but our delivery was really poor and we didn’t take advantage of the set piece opportunities we had either.

“Despite that, I think the attitude was excellent and to a man they worked their socks off. If we had managed a 1-0, I don’t think it would have flattered us but ultimately it came down to one single moment where they’ve been able to capitalise on our mistake.”

McCall had been pleased with the way his side limited Cove throughout the 90 minutes which made it even more difficult to see his side concede late on.

“I can’t remember them having a chance before the goal to be honest, not a clear one anyway. If we come off with the draw then you can say well done, the attitude was great because it wasn’t really a game of football but we then gift them a winner. Now, we have to regroup and get a win next weekend and then build a run from there.”

Neither team had many (or any?) clear cut chances. Partick had a couple of half chances and Cove through McIntosh in the first half.

Partick need a string of results to boost confidence. Very tough game next week and if they lose the pressure will be intense against EF in the following game. 

Can McCall survive with 3 points from the opening 4 games? Certainly the EF match would then be a MUST win.

if McCall goes then it's 100% a stick on that Archibald will be back in the dugout for the rest of the season with Scally (unless he goes too in which case SP will be back) as his assistant. Not much point, plus it might be a non starter if paying him off  would be too expensive right now. Pretty much just need to count on him sorting this shitshow out. Dropping certain out-of-form players would be a start.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

My honest assessment.  
That was awful. Yet again another lacklustre performance, too slow going forward and not enough energy. I’m not going to say Cove deserved to win because they didn’t, but we weren’t good. A 0-0 draw would’ve summed up the game perfectly. We were the better team but not by much, but that’s not how football works, Cove took their once chance of the game off of our carelessness and they won. The weather made for bad football, I can’t say I was over impressed with Cove but you are picking up points so I wouldn’t do yourself a disservice and exclude yourself from challenging for the title. 

13 minutes ago, R&Y99 said:

My honest assessment.  
That was awful. Yet again another lacklustre performance, too slow going forward and not enough energy. I’m not going to say Cove deserved to win because they didn’t, but we weren’t good. A 0-0 draw would’ve summed up the game perfectly. We were the better team but not by much, but that’s not how football works, Cove took their once chance of the game off of our carelessness and they won. The weather made for bad football, I can’t say I was over impressed with Cove but you are picking up points so I wouldn’t do yourself a disservice and exclude yourself from challenging for the title. 

My thoughts too. A nil-nil would have probably summed up the game in fairly horrendous conditions. 3 big points for us though as we were not at the races at all today.

Cove can and do normally play much better than that with sleek passing and effective wide players. Apart from Harry Milne, who played solid again, I can't find of a Cove player who played near there normal standard.

Hoping Fraser Fyvie is back in action next week as he is a great player for this level and can lead and firm up the midfield.   

38 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

My thoughts too. A nil-nil would have probably summed up the game in fairly horrendous conditions. 3 big points for us though as we were not at the races at all today.

Cove can and do normally play much better than that with sleek passing and effective wide players. Apart from Harry Milne, who played solid again, I can't find of a Cove player who played near there normal standard.

Hoping Fraser Fyvie is back in action next week as he is a great player for this level and can lead and firm up the midfield.   

I’m surprised you rate Fyvie so much, last season I was complaining about Blair being used at right back as I genuinely think he is our best midfielder. 
Fyvie is quite solid and doesn’t lose the ball kuch, but he is too safe a lot of the time for me, side ball and back passes a lot, is prone to giving away cheap fouls when he loses a man too. I much prefer midfielders like Blair willing to drive forward and play killer passes.

Don’t think we’ve missed Fyvie yet 

15 minutes ago, JamesMunro said:

I’m surprised you rate Fyvie so much, last season I was complaining about Blair being used at right back as I genuinely think he is our best midfielder. 
Fyvie is quite solid and doesn’t lose the ball kuch, but he is too safe a lot of the time for me, side ball and back passes a lot, is prone to giving away cheap fouls when he loses a man too. I much prefer midfielders like Blair willing to drive forward and play killer passes.

Don’t think we’ve missed Fyvie yet 

I agree with what you stay about Fyvie. I say the same things about the side and backward passes, petulant fouls BUT he can control the middle of the park when he's on it and he has leadership and experience which is vital. Definitely a strong option and would rather have him available than not.

What do you think is our best midfield?

Yuler is awesome; his fitness, desire to win the ball and he can drive forward and playing a more attacking role than the likes or Fyvie or Scully. He's better in midfield that right back. Scott Ross doesn't look natural at right back though. 

What our midfield is really lacking is a Glass or an Antoniazzi. In the little I've seen Semple so far he's  showed signs he could emulate them but I'm not 100 convinced. Whether Seb Ross or Hamish Ritchie can fill those shoes who knows.

How many loan signings have we got left?

Edited by CoveRangers1922

1 hour ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

if McCall goes then it's 100% a stick on that Archibald will be back in the dugout for the rest of the season with Scally (unless he goes too in which case SP will be back) as his assistant. Not much point, plus it might be a non starter if paying him off  would be too expensive right now. Pretty much just need to count on him sorting this shitshow out. Dropping certain out-of-form players would be a start.

The 3 of them need to go imo. Whilst I appreciate it will cost a pretty penny, we cannot afford to go down and at this moment in time, we’re bang on relegation form.

2 hours ago, marello said:

Mr 1922 is eternally down playing Cove but whether they played well or not they have the wonderful habit of winning - and big Rory scoring the winner justifies his money for this week.  Falkirk the dangers but no surprise if (covid permitting!) Cove go up this year

It was a welcome win that's for sure and keeps the momentum and optimism high. Plaudits to Rory.

Forfar at Balmoral next week and then Falkirk away which will be tough but not insurmountable if we can play at our best.