Cove vs Thistle 31st October

Fucking hell moneybags. You must have been bricking it.

Actually no. I checked the score at 90+2 mins and saw it was 0-0, thought ah f**k sakes, put my phone away and then checked hours later to discover there had been a glorious winner from the mighty Cove. I win a cheeky 24 quid and your shite team suffers the first defeat of many in the seaside league. GIFUY

8 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Terrible first half with very little chances or composure shown. I'd hope we would have benefitted playing downwind but we didn't.

Cove will need to step it up quite a few notches as we were the poorest I've seen us in a while and if there is no marked improvement we could drop our first points at home since joining the SPFL.

Partick although they didn't play all that well have wind behind them second half and look more likely to get a goal I think.

Whaaaat? Just to clarify, you haven't dropped any points at home since you joined the SPFL? You haven't even drawn at home?

48 minutes ago, clyde_darren said:

I think the win against Thistle made it 16 wins from 16 at home.

That's very impressive. It will be interesting to see where Cove are in ten years' time. I just hope they're not a future Gretna.

3 hours ago, Ralstonite said:

That's very impressive. It will be interesting to see where Cove are in ten years' time. I just hope they're not a future Gretna.

Gretna: village in the back of beyond

Cove: a 'burb of Scotland's third city

Aberdeen easily has the capacity for another SPFL team and possibly a full-time one.

Comparisons with Gretna, not 

really valid i.m.o.

Edited by Brummo
Typo.

8 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

Actually no. I checked the score at 90+2 mins and saw it was 0-0, thought ah f**k sakes, put my phone away and then checked hours later to discover there had been a glorious winner from the mighty Cove. I win a cheeky 24 quid and your shite team suffers the first defeat of many in the seaside league. GIFUY

The jokes on you m9, we’ve already lost to the Cumbernauld galacticos in matchweek 1.

#winning

10 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

I agree with what you stay about Fyvie. I say the same things about the side and backward passes, petulant fouls BUT he can control the middle of the park when he's on it and he has leadership and experience which is vital. Definitely a strong option and would rather have him available than not.

What do you think is our best midfield?

Yuler is awesome; his fitness, desire to win the ball and he can drive forward and playing a more attacking role than the likes or Fyvie or Scully. He's better in midfield that right back. Scott Ross doesn't look natural at right back though. 

What our midfield is really lacking is a Glass or an Antoniazzi. In the little I've seen Semple so far he's  showed signs he could emulate them but I'm not 100 convinced. Whether Seb Ross or Hamish Ritchie can fill those shoes who knows.

How many loan signings have we got left?

Yeah we definitely need a glass kind of player, actually glad he wasn’t playing today. 
Yet to make up my mind about our midfield yet but I’d definitely have Yule there and not right back. Should hopefully see more of the other players as the season goes on, we keep signing so many players it’s hard to keep track. 
I did think the loan signing of Ritchie was an odd one, 2 leagues below and really young? He must be shit hot but someone I know who has seen him play didn’t give that impression. 

Masson I would probably have as a regular midfielder, trouble with him though is he’s either brilliant or a ghost 🤣

17 minutes ago, JamesMunro said:

Yeah we definitely need a glass kind of player, actually glad he wasn’t playing today. 
Yet to make up my mind about our midfield yet but I’d definitely have Yule there and not right back. Should hopefully see more of the other players as the season goes on, we keep signing so many players it’s hard to keep track. 
I did think the loan signing of Ritchie was an odd one, 2 leagues below and really young? He must be shit hot but someone I know who has seen him play didn’t give that impression. 

Masson I would probably have as a regular midfielder, trouble with him though is he’s either brilliant or a ghost 🤣

saw ross logan of clach vs locos last november (oh those happy pre covid days!) and he looked the sort of player who would be even better when playing with a good team, with no HL in prospect any time soon, maybe a look North for some additional squad players, even on a loan basis till HL does kick off - but he certainly looked a player to me

Just watched highlights as I found it unwatchable yesterday and I think Thistle were unlucky not to take at least a point down the road. There weren’t many chances and we’d seen a great save from the Cove keeper and a BBG shot cleared off the line and away for a corner just before Cove’s winner which was ably assisted by an uncharacteristic Murdoch blooper.

Doesn’t usually annoy me but the Cove player stealing about 15 yards at the thrown-in that led to start the passage of play Cove scored from was a joke. 

Anyway, can’t change anything now. Cove definitely in the Chase for the title and a decent price (4/1 before this game). 

Thistle need to start finding the net starting Saturday otherwise we’ll be gearing up for the playoffs and nowhere near a title challenge

Some record at home for Cove Rangers 16/16 wins at home. 

7 hours ago, Ralstonite said:

Fingers crossed we aren't a Gretna. The core of our current squad played in the Highland League.

McKenzie, Yule, Milne, Ross, Strachan, Masson, Scully, Mitch.

These 8 feature every week even in L1.

We've had a couple of probably big wage signings in Fyvie and McAllister since joining the SPFL. Apart from that we've relied on loan signings

For Aberdeen it would be great to see a second club in the higher leagues (Championship and above). We're a long way off getting to the championship it must be said and if we did get there some significant changes would have to be made to keep us there. Like going Full time, increasing seating capacity of the stadium, more investment, acquisition of players etc.

Ross County and ICT have managed HL to Premiership (a colossal achievement). It would be a dream to follow in those footsteps.

2 hours ago, marello said:

saw ross logan of clach vs locos last november (oh those happy pre covid days!) and he looked the sort of player who would be even better when playing with a good team, with no HL in prospect any time soon, maybe a look North for some additional squad players, even on a loan basis till HL does kick off - but he certainly looked a player to me

That's a good shout. There is quite a bit of talent in the HL. A player that has impressed me is Scott Barbour of Fraserburgh. 

I'm unsure of how good are loan signings are just yet given its early days but certainly haven't got a player of the quality of Glass or Antoniazzi. 

20 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Fingers crossed we aren't a Gretna. The core of our current squad played in the Highland League.

McKenzie, Yule, Milne, Ross, Strachan, Masson, Scully, Mitch.

These 8 feature every week even in L1.

We've had a couple of probably big wage signings in Fyvie and McAllister since joining the SPFL. Apart from that we've relied on loan signings

For Aberdeen it would be great to see a second club in the higher leagues (Championship and above). We're a long way off getting to the championship it must be said and if we did get there some significant changes would have to be made to keep us there. Like going Full time, increasing seating capacity of the stadium, more investment, acquisition of players etc.

Ross County and ICT have managed HL to Premiership (a colossal achievement). It would be a dream to follow in those footsteps.

That's good to hear. It sounds as though you're going about it sensibly.

Can Cove attract the support to sustain the club in the higher echelons of the league? That might be difficult given Aberdeen's monopoly in the area.

26 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

That's a good shout. There is quite a bit of talent in the HL. A player that has impressed me is Scott Barbour of Fraserburgh. 

I'm unsure of how good are loan signings are just yet given its early days but certainly haven't got a player of the quality of Glass or Antoniazzi. 

It's early days here too but we've been impressed by what we've seen so far of our new signing Jamie Wilson , ex Caley and Rothes and subsequently lower league Australian football.  The opening goal and brilliant lead-up play in our second yesterday marked an impressive full debut.  We've also signed a young lad Donald Morrison, again ex Caley and loaned to Fort William last season - looking forward to seeing what he can offer.