Dunfermline v Queens

38 minutes ago, WestHibee said:

QOTS are in a unique situation at the moment. Johnston will 100% get you relegated but he's also probably the best man to get you promoted back to the Championship at the first attempt. 

Have a feeling Dunfermline have given out a few hidings to QOTS over the past few years. IIRC there was a hammering on the eve of QOTS Scottish Cup Final in 2008 and another one during the run in to the Pars getting promoted in 2011. Think I may have been at both.

19 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

I certainly was, the promotion one was a week before the Fife Derby which would decide the title, we had Kevin Rutkiewicz sent off with the game still in the balance aswell.

Meh, as I've said before, the 2008 one saw us field half a reserve team and those Cup starters who did play were making sure they weren't injured and largely got subbed off too. Dunfermline 4 - 0 QoS

Only 6 of that side started the Scottish Cup final and two of those were taken off before the hour mark and a 3rd before the end. None of the three used subs started in the Cup Final either. And McQuilken and Burns played out of position. Only Tosh and Thomson played the whole game in their established spots. It was very much a case of "we have the biggest game of our career next up, we're not breaking a leg in this one".

The 6-1 in 2011 though we were just dreadful. Rutkiewicz was sent off at 1-0 Dunfermline. We had Stephen McKenna sent off too but Dunfermline were 4-1 up by then anyway. Dunfermline 6 - 1 QoS

Those are incidentally the only two times Dunfermline have scored more than 3 against us since 1993 so I'm not sure "Dunfermline gave given out a few hidings over the past few years" is entirely fair. Twice, in almost 30 years, one of which was against a borderline reserve side, and the most recent of which was more than 9 years ago! We've given out a 5-2 hammering at East End Park far more recently.

(Yes I am aware that such fate tempting comment means we'll get hammered on Saturday!).

Edited by Skyline Drifter

23 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Meh, as I've said before, the 2008 one saw us field half a reserve team and those Cup starters who did play were making sure they weren't injured and largely got subbed off too. Dunfermline 4 - 0 QoS

Only 6 of that side started the Scottish Cup final and two of those were taken off before the hour mark and a 3rd before the end. And McQuilken played out of position. Only Tosh and Thomson played the whole game in their established spots. It was very much a case of "we have the biggest game of our career next up, we're not breaking a leg in this one".

The 6-1 in 2011 though we were just dreadful. Rutkiewicz was sent off at 1-0 Dunfermline. We had Stephen McKenna sent off too but Dunfermline were 4-1 up by then anyway. Dunfermline 6 - 1 QoS

Those are incidentally the only two times Dunfermline have scored more than 3 against us since 1993 so I'm not sure "Dunfermline gave given out a few hidings over the past few years" is entirely fair. Twice, in almost 30 years, one of which was against a borderline reserve side, and the most recent of which was more than 9 years ago! We've given out a 5-2 hammering at East End Park far more recently.

(Yes I am aware that such fate tempting comment means we'll get hammered on Saturday!).

Forgot about that game - cheers for the happy memories! It looked like Pars took it easy at 6-1. Queens players were looking totally lost/terrified.

53 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Only 6 of that side started the Scottish Cup final and two of those were taken off before the hour mark and a 3rd before the end. None of the three used subs started in the Cup Final either. And McQuilken and Burns played out of position. Only Tosh and Thomson played the whole game in their established spots. It was very much a case of "we have the biggest game of our career next up, we're not breaking a leg in this one".

How often did we play each other from 1993 to 2007?

26 minutes ago, Shandön Par said:

Forgot about that game - cheers for the happy memories! It looked like Pars took it easy at 6-1. Queens players were looking totally lost/terrified.

23 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

I’m struggling to think of a bigger collapse than that game.  We’ve had Forfar and Peterhead rage quit against us,  but where the whole side just forgot how play I can’t really remember example.

The club was in a complete mess at the time. Financial problems were pretty public, the Board and manager were refusing to talk to one another, the players mostly knew they had no chance of staying on similar value contracts beyond the following three weeks, the vast majority would be away and absolutely played like it. The last 6 months of the Brannigan era were pretty horrific.

5 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Because that was the previous time you took more than 3 off us (you won 6-0 at Palmerston though were, I think, one or two divisions above us at the time).

Not because 1993 was quite a while ago compared to say 2007? And using a long period where no games were played made the stat look more impressive? I could say that Dunfermline didn't concede a single goal to QoTS between May 2011 and July 2016 but it'd very much be a pointless statistic. 

It's not surprising that there's not been many thumpings, most of our games against QoTS are turgid and boring as f**k, disregard one side winning by three, since we've came back up from the seaside there's only been 3 occasions where one of the sides has won by 2 or more, coupled with the unholy amount of 0-0 draws means I'm more inclined to beleive this will be an absolute chore to watch. 

3 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

You're rather touchy about this aren't you? 

I enjoy the excuses that accompany any QoTS loss. 

"Yes we got thumped 4-0, but it was pretty much a reserve side and even the reserves didn't want to play!" 

"Indeed we got skelped 6-1 by ten men, but there was sexual tension between the directors and the manager!" 

"Beaten 6-0 in 1993? There was a gap in divisions between the sides, what can you expect?" 

f**k up Sd, when we lost 5-2 I have it on good authority that Dobbie hadn't brushed his teeth that morning so our defenders didn't want to get close to him, so it barely even counted. History books will record it as a 2-2 draw. 

13 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

You're rather touchy about this aren't you? 

I'm touchy about accuracy, not whether or not we get thumped by Dunfermline. I could say we've dished out a few thumpings over recent years to Dunfermline. It would also be utter codswallop though.

11 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Not because 1993 was quite a while ago compared to say 2007? And using a long period where no games were played made the stat look more impressive? I could say that Dunfermline didn't concede a single goal to QoTS between May 2011 and July 2016 but it'd very much be a pointless statistic. 

It's not surprising that there's not been many thumpings, most of our games against QoTS are turgid and boring as f**k, disregard one side winning by three, since we've came back up from the seaside there's only been 3 occasions where one of the sides has won by 2 or more, coupled with the unholy amount of 0-0 draws means I'm more inclined to beleive this will be an absolute chore to watch. 

No, because I looked back to see when we last lost more than 3 to Dunfermline other than those two games as I couldn't recall doing so. Lo and behold it was 1993. It's still irrelevant though. Whether we played or didn't play, you weren't handing out regular shoeings against us over recent years.

Agree entirely that generally the games are dreadful though. In current circumstances, a turgid 0-0 draw would be perfectly acceptable for us. I'm not expecting to get anything at EEP.

7 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

I enjoy the excuses that accompany any QoTS loss. 

"Yes we got thumped 4-0, but it was pretty much a reserve side and even the reserves didn't want to play!" 

"Indeed we got skelped 6-1 by ten men, but there was sexual tension between the directors and the manager!" 

"Beaten 6-0 in 1993? There was a gap in divisions between the sides, what can you expect?" 

f**k up Sd, when we lost 5-2 I have it on good authority that Dobbie hadn't brushed his teeth that morning so our defenders didn't want to get close to him, so it barely even counted. History books will record it as a 2-2 draw. 

Now who's being touchy? The fact is the 2008 match saw us field a fringe side for very obvious reasons.

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'm touchy about accuracy, not whether or not we get thumped by Dunfermline. I could say we've dished out a few thumpings over recent years to Dunfermline. It would also be utter codswallop though.

No, because I looked back to see when we last lost more than 3 to Dunfermline other than those two games as I couldn't recall doing so. Lo and behold it was 1993. It's still irrelevant though. Whether we played or didn't play, you weren't handing out regular shoeings against us over recent years.

Agree entirely that generally the games are dreadful though. In current circumstances, a turgid 0-0 draw would be perfectly acceptable for us. I'm not expecting to get anything at EEP.

Now who's being touchy? The fact is the 2008 match saw us field a fringe side for very obvious reasons.

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Not once.

That's not the point though. The fact is the suggestion of a "fair number of hammerings" actually meant two, the most recent of which was 9 years ago.

IMG_6872.JPG

I can’t think of 6-1 vs QotS without thinking of Davie Graham jumping into the net and clinging onto it like fucking Spiderman when the 5th or 6th went in.

Nothing but sheer happiness when I think of that. I’m sure there’s a photo of it somewhere.

I’m sure the other game against Queens at EEP that season was a freezing cold Tuesday night. In fact, I’m almost certain 85% of Dunfermline vs QotS games at EEP are cold Tuesday nights.

Half of the Norrie and the whole North stand was closed that night, something to do with water/pipes freezing IIRC.

5 hours ago, Shandön Par said:

This was an enjoyable pumping of Queen of the South en-route to the First Division title in 1988. Trevor Smith had an incredible tan IIRC.

Wild that QoTS couldn't defend crosses and set pieces in the 80s either.