Dunfermline v Queens

22 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Surprised at the score being close, no offence to Queen of the South fans but I’d have fancied Pars to win by a couple after last week especially at East End. Was it a much improved performance by the Doonhammers or were Dunfermline just not at the races? Still early in the season so difficult to judge team’s until we’ve all played each other once.

We didn't play that well. Let Queens have far too much of the ball and game in general after we gave away a stupid penalty. Their first was a gift as well as OFW should have comfortably saved it.

Surprised at the score being close, no offence to Queen of the South fans but I’d have fancied Pars to win by a couple after last week especially at East End. Was it a much improved performance by the Doonhammers or were Dunfermline just not at the races? Still early in the season so difficult to judge team’s until we’ve all played each other once.

We were a bit better in the first half today, though still managing to concede twice. We were better in the second half today though we were better than that in the second half against Raith, if you get me. FWIW I thought Raith were better than Dunfermline but it's still very early days as you say.

If we decided to turn up second half we would racked up a few.
It was a job done attitude, shite goalkeeping and a stupid rash challenge that let Queens in.  We look really good when we are on the front foot, some lovely football from us in that first half.

I think you're overdoing it a bit. There's no question it was a deserved 3 points and it would have been robbery if we stole a point. But I didn't think at any point Dunfermline looked "really good". They got the job done certainly but I was only fearful when it came to corners/crosses (which isn't new). Contrast with last week where Raith looked like they'd score every time they attacked us.

It matters not a jot though and 3 points are all that matters. I had Dunfermline -2 today, I was expecting a right hammering. Thankfully they never played like I thought they would.

Story of our season, cant defend set pieces. Generally for me the problem isnt the centre halves but Buchanan certainly at fault on the 1st. Stupid challenge from Pybus for the penalty too. Stonewall foul, on a player not heading towards goal. Commentators were ok but given they had the whole of half time to discuss and potentially review footage, to spend a few mins at the start of the second half debating whether McKee should have got a 2nd yellow for it was surprising. 

We started quite brightly, albeit without really creating an opening and Dunfermline's first was against the run of play at the time. Rest of the first half was all Dunfermline after they did score though.

OFW gave us an inroads with a dreadful error. Appreciate it was windy but I'd have expected my 10 year old to save that!

3rd Pars goal I would give all the credit to Watson rather than criticise the defence. The ball dropped in a fortunate spot maybe but it was a great reaction, turn and lash home.

To be fair to us, the heads didnt go down, we pushed forward and worked the move for the 2nd well but its a silly challenge from Wilson and another definite penalty. 

For all we had a bit of possession and played spells of nice stuff we never looked especially like equalising. Over the piece Dunfermline won, just about did enough to deserve to, and didnt really get out of 2nd gear. 

Thought Wullie Gibson was just about our best and dealt with Dom Thomas well enough. Pybus was effective but undid it with the penalty. Nortey did fine when he came on but by then Dunfermline were happy to sit back a bit so he wasnt under enormous pressure.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

I missed QoS first as my internet went down right before it. We more or less made it difficult for ourselves. We were comfortably in front and decided to gift Queens one of the cheapest penalties ever. That’s a shame to see Wilson do that as he has been terrific out with that for us. End of the day, a win is a win, and, yet again, I find myself saying it but we have won when I don’t think we’ve even been playing at our best.
You mean one of the cheapest since the first half of the same game?

We made that a lot harder than it should have been.   There was still some moments of decent quality but our overall play was sloppy.

Squad is abit stretched and especially taking 3 guys out of the team who are going to play nearly every minute there is going to be an impact.  We keep winning so it’s hard to complain too much. 

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I think you're overdoing it a bit. There's no question it was a deserved 3 points and it would have been robbery if we stole a point. But I didn't think at any point Dunfermline looked "really good". They got the job done certainly

The better team on the day won for sure but I dont even think it would have been robbery if we had nicked a draw. We would have been the more fortunate to get it but there wasnt that much in it.

It was a fairly even game overall. We were just more clinical. There were very few chances from open play so that we scored three from set pieces meant Queens were always going to struggle to take anything.

OFW wasn’t troubled bar one looping header. We created some really good chances but we were sloppy, which shouldn’t be like us at all. In the end, it is a deserved win, but we made it harder for ourselves with stupid mistakes.

13 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

We made that a lot harder than it should have been.   There was still some moments of decent quality but our overall play was sloppy.

Squad is abit stretched and especially taking 3 guys out of the team who are going to play nearly every minute there is going to be an impact.  We keep winning so it’s hard to complain too much. 

I'll see your sloppy play and raise you our recurring defensive incompetence

32 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

We were a bit better in the first half today, though still managing to concede twice. We were better in the second half today though we were better than that in the second half against Raith, if you get me. FWIW I thought Raith were better than Dunfermline but it's still very early days as you say.

I think you're overdoing it a bit. There's no question it was a deserved 3 points and it would have been robbery if we stole a point. But I didn't think at any point Dunfermline looked "really good". They got the job done certainly but I was only fearful when it came to corners/crosses (which isn't new). Contrast with last week where Raith looked like they'd score every time they attacked us.

It matters not a jot though and 3 points are all that matters. I had Dunfermline -2 today, I was expecting a right hammering. Thankfully they never played like I thought they would.

The last half hour of the first half, QOS could hardly get a touch of the ball. We were ''really good'' at that stage of the game.

The last half hour of the first half, QOS could hardly get a touch of the ball. We were ''really good'' at that stage of the game.

Creating very little and scoring a penalty. If you thought that was really good then fair enough. Again, it doesn't matter what I think and 3 points is 3 points.

I  fail to be impressed when we play one up front.  For an international forward, Crawford is very fond of defending a marginal advantage rather than going for the kill.

It will be interesting next Saturday when we come up against a team who are playing well. 

Edited by Ayrpar

Thought that Pybus (sorry about the spelling if wrong) looked a decent player and Willie Gibson had Thomas on toast but going forward Queens seemed very light. Was frustrating watching us inviting all that pressure in the last 10/15 but in all honesty we never really looked threatened apart from the pen.

f**k it we grind another result out even though neither team actually created anything of note from open play. Maybe that suggests the weather played a bigger part in the game than we are giving it credit for? Still, a big three points to tough out. 

18 minutes ago, Ayrpar said:

I  fail to be impressed when we play one up front.  For an international forward, Crawford is very fond of defending a marginal advantage rather than going for the kill.

It will be interesting next Saturday when we come up against a team who are playing well. 

Some of best spells in games this year have been with one up front.  Not today, but then 2 wasn’t really working either and an extra body in the middle made perfect sense.

we made attacking changes at 2-1 vs Alloa.

playing well for 90 minutes has been a struggle that will probably be punished by the better sides in the league,  but I don’t think a Ayr have quite hit those heights yet.  Similar story for them vs queens taking advantage of poor set-piece defending and then making errors themselves to let them back in.  A draw vs Inverness and a collapse vs Morton.   That doesn’t concern me. *

*heavy defeat incoming.

12 hours ago, Ayrpar said:

I think to be fair, if Wilson doesn’t make that stupid challenge and it stays at 3-1 it may well finish that way or we’d have got a 4th as Queens chase the game.  I’m loathe to criticise Crawford when we’ve won every game this season, despite a couple of times not being fully at the races.

more tests to come but I think we have a gear or two more to move up which is encouraging.