Are there any window experts on Pie and Bovril - people knowledgeable in the field of glazing?

My windows seem a bit shite tbh, these metal framed efforts that look pretty old and I was thinking about getting them replaced (tenement flat). Would the cost of putting in nicer double glazed ones be a total waste of money or would it be made back quite easily over the years in terms of energy efficiency and reduction in condensation etc.?

There seems to be a Green Homes Grant available that gives some funding towards windows but only if they’re single glazed I believe. I think mine are double glazed just shite old ones.

Anyway, please keep all your chat about windows in this thread.

Are there any window experts on Pie and Bovril - people knowledgeable in the field of glazing?

My windows seem a bit shite tbh, these metal framed efforts that look pretty old and I was thinking about getting them replaced (tenement flat). Would the cost of putting in nicer double glazed ones be a total waste of money or would it be made back quite easily over the years in terms of energy efficiency and reduction in condensation etc.?

There seems to be a Green Homes Grant available that gives some funding towards windows but only if they’re single glazed I believe. I think mine are double glazed just shite old ones.

Anyway, please keep all your chat about windows in this thread.

Not an expert, but I did replace wooden framed single glazing in a tenement flat with UPVC double glazing. Made a big difference in terms of keeping the flat warm, definitely used the fire and heating less. Biggest difference was in the sound levels from the traffic outside.

The advice I got from a friend who worked in an estate agents at the time was that new windows wouldn't add much in terms of value to a flat, but they would make it more sellable.

Done a couple of jobs recently and the new double glazed windows (and doors) were bought off the shelf from both B&Q and Wickes by the customers. The quality of them were every bit as good as anything else on the market but a lot cheaper. If you know someone that could fit them for you, going down that route could work out a lot cheaper than using the likes of CR Smith or Lochinvar.

• 1 month later...
34 minutes ago, Slenderman said:

Mind I nearly jumped out a 3rd floor tenement window.

Mephedrone was a hell of a drug.

Shitebag, there was wee guys jumping out the fourth story over wee guys hanging out the third and second stories.

Screenshot_20201214-134435__01.jpg

6 minutes ago, 101 said:

Shitebag, there was wee guys jumping out the fourth story over wee guys hanging out the third and second stories.

Screenshot_20201214-134435__01.jpg

Seen this one?

gallery-1435078293-baby-cages-2-de.jpg?r

Even a Paisley scumbag wouldn't do that...