Jump to content

Aberdeen v Celtic


Recommended Posts

Guest Bob Mahelp
8 minutes ago, the tungston weasel said:

Hearing a lot of pundits saying that celtic dominated the first half. I find that mental.
I thought aberdeen particularly first half done an excellent job of pressing from the front without creating too much but celtic created not much either.

Second half much more open:

Ferguson seems to be playing like a man that's pissed off that McCrorie has been getting all the plaudits and attention.

I'm normally, if pressed into a prediction to put Scott Wrights future as a superstar for a bottom 6/championship side, but when he came on yesterday he reminded me of 2015/16 Johnny Hayes.

That Griffiths goal was class, keep that up and he could well save Lennons job the way he saved Deilas.

Very happily surprised that when Cosgrove came onto the park we were able to avoid turning back to lump it up to big Sam tactics.
Showed some promise if he gets a bit sharper.

I fully admit to having a blind spot about Wright. I'm yet to be convinced he has a long term future with Aberdeen, but I'm still hoping. 

However....he's proven this season that he can give the team a turbo charged 25 minutes or so, and was certainly the case against a creaking Celtic defence that looked slow and scared when somebody ran at them.

If we're still in the game on Sunday with half an hour left, Wright (in the same form) could be priceless. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, the tungston weasel said:

Hearing a lot of pundits saying that celtic dominated the first half. I find that mental.
I thought aberdeen particularly first half done an excellent job of pressing from the front without creating too much but celtic created not much either.

Second half much more open:
 

It will be interesting to see what McInnes finds preferable.

The sh1tfest of a first half, where we rarely looked troubled defensively, but looked shackled from an attacking perspective.

The open game that the second half became - where we had genuine attacking threat from several sources, but also struggled badly defensively against the movement of Celtic.

It could be a hell of a game if he just goes for it  - but I suspect McInnes will still think playing it cagey is our best hope.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cosgrove had just as much of an influence on the game when he came on as Wright, his positioning and movement inside the box is different class to anyone else we have. Wright was also excellent - direct, skilful, and although he didnt get any goals or assists  (fucking nae fantasy football points!) he made a real telling influence on the game with that driving run and slipped ball through to hedges. 

Celtic still have excellent players, and theres a real sense of horrible de ja vu about griffiths Mcgregor and Christie still managing to score against us. griffiths in particular with a magic finish. a proper manager wins the league very comfortably with that squad. 

Ferguson is insanely good also.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

https://thecelticblog.com/2020/10/blogs/if-celtic-fails-this-season-it-will-be-because-of-two-major-strategic-failures-from-our-board/

The absolute state of this.

Imagine we beat them at the weekend. Or they don't win the league.

If I'm understanding his point correctly, Rangers are going to win the league because of Isis but Ra sellic is the biggest club. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, the tungston weasel said:

Hearing a lot of pundits saying that celtic dominated the first half. I find that mental.
I thought aberdeen particularly first half done an excellent job of pressing from the front without creating too much but celtic created not much either.

I made this point during the game. Celtic’s CB’s passing the ball about between the half way line and their penalty box, while their midfielders occasionally take potshots from 30+ yards is not them dominating the match - it’s them playing exactly where we want them to.

 

You’d have to be a moronic imbecile like, for example, Pat Bonner or Andy Walker, to think otherwise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

https://thecelticblog.com/2020/10/blogs/if-celtic-fails-this-season-it-will-be-because-of-two-major-strategic-failures-from-our-board/

The absolute state of this.

Imagine we beat them at the weekend. Or they don't win the league.

:lol::lol::lol:

8 hours ago, AngusTheBull said:

I made this point during the game. Celtic’s CB’s passing the ball about between the half way line and their penalty box, while their midfielders occasionally take potshots from 30+ yards is not them dominating the match - it’s them playing exactly where we want them to.

You’d have to be a moronic imbecile like, for example, Pat Bonner or Andy Walker, to think otherwise.

Aye said it yesterday, other than us being a bit toothless going forward, that first half was played under Mcinnes' terms. 

Had it been 90 minutes of that and a 1-0 win, Lennon would stamp his feet about control of the game but Mcinnes would've been absolutely laughing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In all honesty surprised how little has been made of this. Especially with the comments over the standard of refereeing.

Possibly the "Brown effect." Everyone now just expects he gets away with it
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

:lol:

Invading Iraq and planning for its aftermath is definitely relevant to winning the Scottish Premiership, oh yes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, the tungston weasel said:

In all honesty surprised how little has been made of this. Especially with the comments over the standard of refereeing.

Possibly the "Brown effect." Everyone now just expects he gets away with it

McGregor not being sent off is more of a thing than Brown.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

:lol:

Invading Iraq and planning for its aftermath is definitely relevant to winning the Scottish Premiership, oh yes.

Can’t you see how the collapse of governance structures in Iraq fanned the flames of the Libyan civil war before directly leading to  financial doping in Govan?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, d31 said:

McGregor not being sent off is more of a thing than Brown.

Not really.

The referee played an advantage, meaning at most it can only be a yellow, but it’s also resulted in a penalty (no double whammy.)

The advantage was squandered when it struck the bar, so in actuality by the laws of the game there shouldn’t have been a penalty given and then McGregor should have been sent off.

Swings and roundabouts though. He should have been off and it should have been an instant  penalty but the manner in which the referee dealt with it meant it couldn’t happen.

Aberdeen played their game perfectly up until they collapsed, then Celtic collapsed in tow. Although anyone that’s seen us try to hold on knows we are completely incapable of doing so.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, G-MAN said:

Because it wasn’t reshown at the time, and  Sportscene didn’t pick it up in the highlights, I’d forgotten all about it. I missed it, but my son said at the time that Brown had deliberately stuck his elbow in Scott Wright’s face. Scott Wright, not being a player like Morelos, didn’t go down writhing about in agony to bring it to the attention of the officials. If the charge is brought, which I think it should be having looked at it again now, I think that we can safely say that Celtic will be “flabbergasted, astounded, mystified, apoplectic, dumbfounded, appalled, astonished, bewildered, shocked, staggered” (not a definitive list).

Edited by kingjoey
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, stressball said:

Not really.

The referee played an advantage, meaning at most it can only be a yellow, but it’s also resulted in a penalty (no double whammy.)

The advantage was squandered when it struck the bar, so in actuality by the laws of the game there shouldn’t have been a penalty given and then McGregor should have been sent off.

Swings and roundabouts though. He should have been off and it should have been an instant  penalty but the manner in which the referee dealt with it meant it couldn’t happen.

Aberdeen played their game perfectly up until they collapsed, then Celtic collapsed in tow. Although anyone that’s seen us try to hold on knows we are completely incapable of doing so.

Ref can play advantage at a straight red where there's a goalscoring opportunity. But that only applies to straight reds which no one has argued for. 

Not sure what you mean by the advantage being squandered. Waited to see if there was an advantage and there wasn't, so it was a pen. 

Clearly it couldn't have been an instant penalty if the ref played advantage, but no reason not to send McGregor off. 

It wouldn't have affected the game at that point. I don't even know if he'd have been suspended for the semi. But it would have been the right thing to do. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Is there any footage? I don't remember this incident at all.

I caught it on Twitter earlier, but don’t have the technical ability o put it on here. It happened in the corner of the pitch where the away fans would have been at a throw, I think it was. Scott Wright tries to find a bit of space by running from in front of Brown round behind him, and you can see Brown checking where Wright is going, and just as Wright gets behind him out comes the arm to hit Wright in the face. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...