Aberdeen v Celtic

19 minutes ago, stressball said:

Not really.

The referee played an advantage, meaning at most it can only be a yellow, but it’s also resulted in a penalty (no double whammy.)

The advantage was squandered when it struck the bar, so in actuality by the laws of the game there shouldn’t have been a penalty given and then McGregor should have been sent off.

Swings and roundabouts though. He should have been off and it should have been an instant  penalty but the manner in which the referee dealt with it meant it couldn’t happen.

Aberdeen played their game perfectly up until they collapsed, then Celtic collapsed in tow. Although anyone that’s seen us try to hold on knows we are completely incapable of doing so.

You obviously don’t realise that McGregor was already on a yellow from the first half. Nobody is saying it should have been a straight red, just a second yellow. Your description of how playing advantage works is way off the mark. 

1 minute ago, kingjoey said:

You obviously don’t realise that McGregor was already on a yellow from the first half. Nobody is saying it should have been a straight red, just a second yellow. Your description of how playing advantage works is way off the mark. 

I think it's a straight red. He clearly takes Mclennan out because he's about to score. Double whammy only applies if there's a genuine attempt to play the ball, which there was not.

11 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Ref can play advantage at a straight red where there's a goalscoring opportunity. But that only applies to straight reds which no one has argued for. 

Not sure what you mean by the advantage being squandered. Waited to see if there was an advantage and there wasn't, so it was a pen. 

Clearly it couldn't have been an instant penalty if the ref played advantage, but no reason not to send McGregor off. 

It wouldn't have affected the game at that point. I don't even know if he'd have been suspended for the semi. But it would have been the right thing to do. 

The advantage was the boy receiving the ball from the foul, then clattering it into the underside of the bar at an almost open goal. If he gets the shot off as a result of play continuing, that’s the advantage.

Edited by stressball

15 minutes ago, stressball said:

The advantage was the boy receiving the ball from the foul, then clattering it into the underside of the bar at an almost open goal. If he gets the shot off as a result of play continuing, that’s the advantage.

Yes, and if the advantage isn’t an advantage, in that we didn’t score, play is quite legitimately brought back to the foul a couple of seconds earlier, in this case a penalty.

Just now, kingjoey said:

Yes, and if the advantage isn’t an advantage, in that we didn’t score, play is quite legitimately brought back to the foul a couple of seconds earlier, in this case a penalty.

If the shot had been blocked by a Celtic player I’d agree wholeheartedly.

21 minutes ago, stressball said:

A snapshot with players close by when coming away from the goal is not an advantage over a penalty. A goal is. Waited to see if there was an advantage. There wasn't. Happy to help Neil. 

I agree McGregor should probably have been a straight red.

The ball is just so far away from McLennan when McGregor makes the contact that the liklihood of McGregor getting the ball was very slim.

If that had been the first pen it would have been a huge talking point.

It doesn't put Aberdeen up or down as McGregor would not have been banned for the semi.

From what I remember we’ve had Cosgrove (twice), Hayes, Logan, McKenna, Ball, Ferguson sent off in recent times v Celtic.

One of the worst was Boyata on GMS, not even a foul given.

14 minutes ago, G-MAN said:

From what I remember we’ve had Cosgrove (twice), Hayes, Logan, McKenna, Ball, Ferguson sent off in recent times v Celtic.

One of the worst was Boyata on GMS, not even a foul given.

I'm still fuming about Xander Diamond's goal being disallowed because the ref thought he might have used a hand. 

2 hours ago, stressball said:

Loads of players are given advantage and f**k up a pass. It's not the advantage itself but what you do with it that determines if the ref brings back the foul.

Let's not forget we had a goal disallowed and the ref brought it back for a pen against Maribor.

2 hours ago, G-MAN said:

Footage here.

I think he will get let off going by this grainy footage. If your going to get someone with an elbow fully outstretching your arm whilst doing is pointless and if anything makes it needlessly more obvious. Some of the  Aberdeen fans in the comments below seem to agree also. Hard to see any intent other than cynically attempting to hold him back from going in to space.

Edited by gannonball

Guest Bob Mahelp
10 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I think he will get let off. If your going to get someone with an elbow fully outstretching your arm whilst doing is pointless and if anything makes it needlessly more obvious. Some of the  Aberdeen fans in the comments below seem to agree also. Hard to see any intent other than cynically attempting to hold him back from going in to space.

I think you're being very generous to Brown. 

In an international or European game he would have been red carded for 'cynically attempting to hold him back' by lashing an arm across his face. 

In fact, I seriously doubt if Brown would have done anything like that in a European game. He's clever enouzgh to know what he can get away with and what he can't.

Edited by Bob Mahelp