Motherwell vs County 24/04

Watt and Lang both look as though they have been working on their fitness and look sharper, particularly Watt who looks as though he's enjoying his football. Cole looks better than I remember and definitely improves the team.

Not much between the teams in general play but I like the look of this forward line- good mix of pace, strength and trickiness.

We weren’t brilliant but we’ve got to be happy with that. You’d never have known that O’Hara has never played centre back before and Pieman making a debut in goals was good at catching crosses - we didn’t find out if he’s a good shot stopper. Barry MaGuire had a solid game on his first start of the season.

Polworth looked back to last season’s form and Cole and Watt worked hard and brought others into play. Even McGinley looked much better with a good assist. Watt was easily man of the match.

The downs being Carson’s injury and how ineffective Long was. I actually like Long but don’t like him out wide. His petulance is also getting worse. I’d replace him with Lang for next week.

Done and on to the next one.

56 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

We weren’t brilliant but we’ve got to be happy with that. You’d never have known that O’Hara has never played centre back before and Pieman making a debut in goals was good at catching crosses - we didn’t find out if he’s a good shot stopper. Barry MaGuire had a solid game on his first start of the season.

Polworth looked back to last seasons form and Cole and Watt worked hard and brought others into play. Even McGinley looked much better with a good assist. Watt was easily man of the match.

The downs being Carson’s injury and how ineffective Long was. I actually like Long but don’t like him out wide. His petulance is also getting worse. I’d replace him with Lang for next week.

Done and on to the next one.

Was pretty much about to come on and post all of this.

Wouldn’t be gutted to see Long depart in January, doesn’t seem to be working out this time.

One thing that I think deserves immense credit is Polworth’s contribution to the first goal. Composed and intelligent turn and then a great pass to McGinley.

3 hours ago, 'WellDel said:

Interesting starting 11, and intrigued to see how we actually line up. 

f**k it, with the 3 up top I'm going to ignore any potential issues middle to back, and predict a direct baws oot approach and a comfortable home win. 

3-0 'Well. 

Almost called it. 

Unfortunately I'm at work and never seen it, just switched my phone on to be pleasantly surprised.

No idea how good we were in reality, or how comfortable it was, but think in general Cole gives us another dimension and the goals will start to come now. 

1 hour ago, Gianfranco said:

He's clearly never played centre back for us before but did O'Hara not start out at Killie as a defender or used there for Dundee? Entirely ready to be corrected on that one but I don't think he's exclusively been a midfielder. cc: @craigkillie, @Ludo*1

Also, bringing it back...

giphy.gif

Edited by capt_oats

4 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

He's clearly never played centre back for us before but did O'Hara not start out at Killie as a defender or used there for Dundee? Entirely ready to be corrected on that one but I don't think he's exclusively been a midfielder. cc: @craigkillie, @Ludo*1

Also, bringing it back...

giphy.gif

CraigKillie will be able to go into more detail, but I think he was exclusively used as a defender for Kilmarnock. Like you, I could be wrong but that was the impression. Largely played CM or CAM for us and was deployed on the right a few times. In his early days with us he played at RB in a pinch (And a lot of fans always suggested that CH would be his best position), but he was definitely signed with the intention of being utilised as a central midfielder/just behind the striker type.