The Beginning of the End

Interesting but entirely predictable. I'm wondering when the squealing match begins in certain corners of the Scottish game. I would expect there are some suits who've gamed (a very fashionable word right now) all this out.

The reaction of Fifa and Uefa will be worth watching. Do some of the game's crowning jewels - it says here - get to hold a gun to the heads of the game's organisations or will the associations run with it? Anything for an easy life, I suspect.

Will it, in the long run, lead to some kind of re-set in the Scottish game? What will that look like?

41 minutes ago, Dr Koop said:

Interesting but entirely predictable. I'm wondering when the squealing match begins in certain corners of the Scottish game. I would expect there are some suits who've gamed (a very fashionable word right now) all this out.

The reaction of Fifa and Uefa will be worth watching. Do some of the game's crowning jewels - it says here - get to hold a gun to the heads of the game's organisations or will the associations run with it? Anything for an easy life, I suspect.

Will it, in the long run, lead to some kind of re-set in the Scottish game? What will that look like?

This has been coming for a long time. The bigger clubs are now more powerful than UEFA. UEFA have allowed this to happen by bowing to their demands, more allocated CL places and more money going to a smaller amount of clubs.

I also believe the game will demand it, how long can German, French and Italian fans watch a 1 horse race. Even the Spanish 2 horse race eventually becomes boring especially to the global audience who are now collectively more powerful than the matchday supporter.

The league with less need for it is the EPL as they have a fairly competitive and financially lucrative product but it seems Man Utd and Liverpool are at the forefront, maybe they see the future in a European superleague and want to be there at the start.

In some ways I would like it, we have superclubs dominating domestic leagues to the point that I now find most leagues pointless. Teams like Bayern, Barca, Real, Juve and PSG judge there season on their CL performances rather than domestic success anyway. The CL is already pretty close to a superleague, it's the teams from the top leagues that ultimately dominate the latter stages.

From a Scottish point of view I am in the camp that would welcome the old firm leaving. I would accept we'd have a slightly less marketable league so would have less money but that is fine with me because the trade off would be more fun not knowing who is winning the league for the next 50years. 

I hope every single one of the so-called smaller clubs in Europe who have been left out of this pig's trough simply refuse to do any transfer dealings etc with these soulless, minging clubs going forward.   It is official though - UEFA are being eaten alive by their cash cow and they absolutely deserve it.  

Fortunately, Scottish Football is so far behind these "elite" clubs anyway that this will have a marginal impact on our game.  The Old Firm might feel aggrieved, but anything to handicap them is good by me. 

To summarise - **** the lot of them. 

Edited by AberdeenHibee

1 hour ago, ahemps said:

This has been coming for a long time. The bigger clubs are now more powerful than UEFA. UEFA have allowed this to happen by bowing to their demands, more allocated CL places and more money going to a smaller amount of clubs.

I also believe the game will demand it, how long can German, French and Italian fans watch a 1 horse race. Even the Spanish 2 horse race eventually becomes boring especially to the global audience who are now collectively more powerful than the matchday supporter.

The league with less need for it is the EPL as they have a fairly competitive and financially lucrative product but it seems Man Utd and Liverpool are at the forefront, maybe they see the future in a European superleague and want to be there at the start.

In some ways I would like it, we have superclubs dominating domestic leagues to the point that I now find most leagues pointless. Teams like Bayern, Barca, Real, Juve and PSG judge there season on their CL performances rather than domestic success anyway. The CL is already pretty close to a superleague, it's the teams from the top leagues that ultimately dominate the latter stages.

From a Scottish point of view I am in the camp that would welcome the old firm leaving. I would accept we'd have a slightly less marketable league so would have less money but that is fine with me because the trade off would be more fun not knowing who is winning the league for the next 50years. 

The CL is already unbelievably boring but if these teams want to play each other in a league then let them fill their boots. The domestic leagues would be better for it. No chance should they get to play colt teams in the domestic leagues. If they go, they go full stop. I honestly don't think fans of these clubs would go for it but then again the fans seem to be the last consideration. As for how it would affect Scotland, it wouldn't. Not even the most deluded OF fans can think they would get anywhere near this set up.

Like arsene wenger said some years ago, its the champions league who need the big clubs not the other way round - when referring to possible bans for teams breaking FFP rules. Without the big hitters it’s just aek athens v rapin viena and so on
The same goes for big leagues like the EPL they can hold a gun to their head and they will

See any time  this story appears about a proposed Euro-league being formed or the one about Rangers & Celtic joining the EPL  arises....

Does anyone else think it’s a tedious waste-of-time both writing and reading this fake news seeing as it’s a big pile of pie-in-the-sky nonsense that’s never going to happen? Or is it just me?

Edited by 8MileBU

12 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

See any time  this story appears about a proposed Euro-league being formed or the one about Rangers & Celtic joining the EPL  arises....

Does anyone else think it’s a tedious waste-of-time both writing and reading this fake news seeing as it’s a big pile of pie-in-the-sky nonsense that’s never going to happen? Or is it just me?

There's been a lot of crying wolf over the years but sport is like every other big business these days and football is moving in the direction of, if not monopoly, one of them cabal things. 

48 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

For me this could be the only time the Celtic/Rangers thing may be actually discussed by those who are already in the EPL. Liverpool etc fucking off and then to be back filled with the likes of Brentford/Bournemouth etc would drop the appeal to broadcasters drastically. Obviously Celtic/ Rangers are nowhere near the pull of those going away but would help reduce the drop in interest and provide a talking/marketing point.

For the avoidance of doubt I wouldn’t want this to happen, it’s  just a speculative theory.

3 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I would doubt that, less games = less money. 

Probably better overall financially if they could punt the likes of Fulham and West Brom down a league and share the PL TV revenues between 18 rather than 20, though. 

Think this at the moment will be more a powerplay for further adjustment of European competitions to suit bigger clubs. Could see some sort of nations league system with promotion and relegation but still working alongside domestic competitions and teams above a certain level do not need to qualify through domestic league unless they drop down far enough

If they did go with some sort of breakaway superleague of what 16 or so teams someone has to finish last and how long will they put up with that. It would need some sort of mechanism to promote teams and relegate based on results.  Whatever happens I think there is going to be more resistance from bigger clubs on players going away for international duty,