St Johnstone v Dundee United 24/10\20

10 minutes ago, Mvondo_the_great said:

Another week goes by and it's another job done by United. This time nullifying the berry pickers of p....Perthshire. yes. That's the one.

Maybe in coming weeks the master of plan of unleashing the Fuching over of the other teams in the premiership will work but there's a lot riding on it currently. Its a high risk tactic imo.

It's a bit like English, only different.

4 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

And yet they still came out of the game with the same amount of points as Saints. 

It's not good enough St Johnstone,  we should be pumping sides like them.

Agreed. For Davidson to say that he was happy with yesterday is pish. Keeping a clean sheet is nothing to get excited about if the opposition aren't interested in attacking, and 'getting into good areas' is all well and good but it has to result in something. 

Seen that type of performance far too often this season. Already looks like an 8-team league playing for  2 top-6 spots, and with the performances and squad we should not be sitting where we are. 

Yesterday reminded us all why we needed to sign a striker, but Calum really needed to make is changes earlier. Another theme we've seen this year. 

Does anyone else think there’s a chance that Shankland might not cut it at this level? I’m sure he’ll bang in a hat trick next time against us now, but he currently has two goals this season and barely kicked the ball yesterday. Appreciate he he absolutely zero service but I don’t feel like he did much of anything to get into the game himself. All very well banging then in for the best side in the championship but has he shown much (one extremely good goal aside) beyond that since United’s promotion?

As far as United’s squad goes, before the season started I felt they had a mix of guys who had either dropped to the Championship having not been good enough for the Premiership previously or been ok at that level and dropped off (Butcher, Reynolds, Pawlett) and guys who were completely untested at this level. I think that’s showing now.

13 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Does anyone else think there’s a chance that Shankland might not cut it at this level? I’m sure he’ll bang in a hat trick next time against us now, but he currently has two goals this season and barely kicked the ball yesterday. Appreciate he he absolutely zero service but I don’t feel like he did much of anything to get into the game himself. All very well banging then in for the best side in the championship but has he shown much (one extremely good goal aside) beyond that since United’s promotion?

As far as United’s squad goes, before the season started I felt they had a mix of guys who had either dropped to the Championship having not been good enough for the Premiership previously or been ok at that level and dropped off (Butcher, Reynolds, Pawlett) and guys who were completely untested at this level. I think that’s showing now.

17 hours ago, tree house tam said:

The boys a fraud anyway, as he's shown in his spells in the top league. 

33 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Flat track bully against championship defences + PR spend from the club to inflate his price = hype. From what I've seen so far, Kevin Nisbet is the far better of the championship superstars from last year. Utd are lucky the premiership is so woeful this year, they'll be able to stay up unless they get sucked into a battle with Hamilton and/or St Mirren, I reckon both those teams have more fight in them. Siegrist looks genuine quality though and, come January, Utd should be able to spend heavier than the other bottom 6 teams. Unless Mellon's severance costs them a packet.

And yet .... we only managed a 0-0 against them with a pretty much full strength squad, when we were playing to go up to 6th place on the back of 3 wins on the bounce? OK, so they came to sit in and kill the game, niggly fouls, slow with the throw-ins and goal kicks from about the 10th minute. But still, we need to be doing better than that. Melamed can't start soon enough but seems high risk to think that one player, that's only ever played in a foreign league before, is likely to be the answer? Still think CD can get this lot into shape. 2 weeks to work on it anyway. 

I think United just done a really good job of forcing us wide. And with Wotherspoon having an off day, we were reliant on McNamara/Conway and both are far too quick to just chuck a cross in. Crossing towards May when he's surrounded by 3 CBs was madness.

Not sure we needed 3 CBs in that type of game. United weren't interested in countering, and we weren't going to draw them out, so an extra central player in attack would've been more useful.

Definitely 2 points dropped, and I was also thinking second half why not take a centre back off and throw on another forward.  But I've got a bit of sympathy for Davidson here, how many games have we dominated, then lost to a stupid goal? It must have been in the back of his mind, and to be fair he maybe thought we're close here, just need a break to get the goal then it would have been job done.

I think we look like a team that will do better away from home and against the better teams, where we will get space in behind. We don't seem able to break down teams at McDiarmid.  Our delivery from wide areas was abysmal, and Spoony had so many opportunities to set teammates up but wanted to be the hero far too often.  Hopefully he goes back to how he has being playing the last few games; a bit of magic then choose the right option.

We've score 1 (one) league goal at McDiarmid Park in 6 matches this season.  That must be a record low at McDiarmid?

To think that all the seasons of watching Tommy Wright's team scrape narrow victories playing fairly unattractive football at times, and how decent the football we've been playing has been for the most part so far, when then this is probably the season where entertainment matters least with no fans at games, and points on the board and survival more important than ever.

Just checked the league there and couldnt help but notice that we are above the fake Saints. Coupled with the fact they havent beaten us in two attempts this season, it may be they arent as good as they like to think they are?

15 minutes ago, Twinkle said:

Just checked the league there and couldnt help but notice that we are above the fake Saints. Coupled with the fact they havent beaten us in two attempts this season, it may be they arent as good as they like to think they are?

Its a constant worry of mine that our fans spend so much time talking about how we're a "goalscorer away from being a top half side". Feels like we're in a sliding doors moment where we either do start scoring regularly and push up the league, or we start losing games as we can't score consistently and performances slowly degrade.

We're clearly much more on the front foot this season, but we've got dreadful goalkeepers and aside from games against the worst side in the SPFL, and the worst side in the league, we haven't actually troubled opposing goalkeeepers that much.

Its pretty dire but being able to grind out points like United did yesterday is a skill you need in this league. I don't think we've seen that in our locker yet under Davidson.

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Our front three had four touches in the box the who game and three of them came in the first few minutes.

Tbf our main striker only had one touch outside the centre circle in the second half.