Jump to content

(FIFA backed) European Premier League


charger29
 Share

Recommended Posts

 

https://news.sky.com/story/top-english-clubs-in-bombshell-talks-to-join-european-premier-league-12109175

 

Another attempt at creating a super league. FIFA seem to have abandoned their club world cup and are now focusing on Europe. 2022 is mentioned but presumably aiming for post 2024, when the current UEFA TV deals finish, would make more sense. Usual clubs mentioned.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Teams like Juventus, PSG, Bayern Munich etc. absolutely hate the Premier League because of the financial advantage it gives English clubs.

I can't see any way that the PL doesn't fold to the demands of the Big Six before this ever happens.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Lofarl said:

No mention of the two utter wee diddy teams up here eh.  Sair yin.

Wouldn't want to join this kind of thing tbh. Playing teams like Aberdeen means more to me because I know other Aberdeen supporters and we can talk about it. I don't know many Juventus supporters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Its UEFA finally getting the wee closed shop, show pony cabal they have desperately wanted. It might not improve what you see on TV when you watch EPL, but it will improve football for football fans of the remaining clubs down South IMO.

It will make not one iota of difference to me as a Falkirk fan, and it does have the added bonus that it may renew the interest of the arse cheeks to f**k off as Mr Alli says.

Just get all these franchise mega clubs to f**k.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Be interesting to see what UEFA do in regards to this.

German football is also curious as compared to the likes of the EPL & LaLiga the clubs & league have less of a global audience. The bigger club's fanbases will stretch into other Germanic nations like Austria & Switzerland but you won't say have Bayern Munich or Borussia Dortmund supporters in big numbers in 'markets' like Asia, Africa or the USA.

Second paragraph is purely my armchair analysis & anecdotal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

You didnt dump me, I dumped you emoji23.png

I mean, I've been pretty consistent on this for a long time. I don't want to join a European league, I don't want to move to England, I want to stay in Scotland.

The OF would never get into this kind of thing anyway. The teams only generate any kind of interest in Scotland, which isn't the type of market these leagues are trying to tap into. What's more, the actual OF game is the only selling point for both Rangers and Celtic, and we primarily use the game to settle age-old questions about Irish history by shouting sectarian slurs at each other. Those in the ESL's target market simply don't care about Scotland, and they care even less about the relief of Derry 300 years ago. Old Firm fans thinking we'd ever get accepted into this type of thing are deluding themselves.

The best way to defeat this kind of idea is to let the 18 teams go ahead and do it. Set up your own league and treat them with absolute hatred and derision. Just watch it become the footballing equivalent of the Harlem Globetrotters.

Edited by G51
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's in addition to domestic leagues, not in place of.

Clubs want it to run alongside EPL/La Liga/etc. Basically replace CL/EL and cups.

Must assume Liverpool and Man Utd's recent rushed attempt to cut EPL from 20 to 18 and scrap cups is connected.

Would basically represent 'best of both worlds' for those 16-18 clubs involved... domestic £, domestic domination, continental £, continental closed-shop.

Hard luck for everyone else, who end-up with even less chance of ever competing domestically, and contesting neutered domestic and continental cups.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

It's in addition to domestic leagues, not in place of.

Clubs want it to run alongside EPL/La Liga/etc. Basically replace CL/EL and cups.

Must assume Liverpool and Man Utd's recent rushed attempt to cut EPL from 20 to 18 and scrap cups is connected.

Would basically represent 'best of both worlds' for those 16-18 clubs involved... domestic £, domestic domination, continental £, continental closed-shop.

Hard luck for everyone else, who end-up with even less chance of ever competing domestically, and contesting neutered domestic and continental cups.

They're talking about 30/34 games, with a 16/18 team league playing everyone home and away. That's not going to be in parallel with existing leagues.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, G51 said:

They're talking about 30/34 games, with a 16/18 team league playing everyone home and away. That's not going to be in parallel with existing leagues.

Article says different:

https://news.sky.com/story/top-english-clubs-in-bombshell-talks-to-join-european-premier-league-12109175
 

Sources said that FIFA, football's world governing body, had been involved in developing the new format, which is expected to comprise up to 18 teams, and involve fixtures played during the regular European season. The top-placed teams in the league would then play in a knockout format to conclude the tournament
...
If the discussions are successfully concluded, the European Premier League would effectively usurp UEFA's Champions League competition, which has been a mainstay of the continent's football calendar for decades.
...
According to people close to the latest plans, the European Premier League would not be a breakaway in the sense of ending clubs' involvement in their domestic leagues.
...
Sources said the result of the new format, if it gets off the ground, would be to give England's wealthiest clubs greater leverage in future negotiations with the Premier League and with broadcasters and sponsors.
...
They added that the possibility of outright club defections from domestic leagues was not on the new tournament's "short-term agenda".
...
Nevertheless, a decision to join the new European tournament will leave its participants exposed to the suggestion that they were enriching themselves at the expense of domestic rivals, exacerbating the already-vast financial gulf between teams at the top and bottom of the Premier League.
...
Central to the new league would be the question of whether its fixtures are played in the existing slots allocated to Champions' League matches, or whether the prize of drawing vast live audiences in Asia and the US, as well as Europe, means there is an attempt to play them throughout the day at weekends. It emerged (this month) that Liverpool and Manchester United were leading a quest to reform the Premier League by cutting the number of teams from 20 to 18 and giving the so-called 'big six' and other long-standing shareholders in the top flight enhanced voting rights that would effectively hand them outright control. The League Cup, currently sponsored by Carabao, and the Community Shield, would also have been expunged from the calendar or played without the involvement of clubs taking part in European competitions.
...
The prospective involvement of some of the top flight's elite clubs in a European super league format would help to explain their desire to curb the number of domestic fixtures to which they are committed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There was another European club football story today. Rumours of UEFA wanting to extend the CL groups to 36 teams from 2024 to keep the mid-sized leagues happy and at the same time making a nice round number for the larger group stages they want.

I think the FIFA backed idea will end up a bridge too far but the more the big European clubs chip away at UEFA with things like this the more chance of massive changes by 2024 favouring them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Article says different:

https://news.sky.com/story/top-english-clubs-in-bombshell-talks-to-join-european-premier-league-12109175
 

Sources said that FIFA, football's world governing body, had been involved in developing the new format, which is expected to comprise up to 18 teams, and involve fixtures played during the regular European season. The top-placed teams in the league would then play in a knockout format to conclude the tournament
...
If the discussions are successfully concluded, the European Premier League would effectively usurp UEFA's Champions League competition, which has been a mainstay of the continent's football calendar for decades.
...
According to people close to the latest plans, the European Premier League would not be a breakaway in the sense of ending clubs' involvement in their domestic leagues.
...
Sources said the result of the new format, if it gets off the ground, would be to give England's wealthiest clubs greater leverage in future negotiations with the Premier League and with broadcasters and sponsors.
...
They added that the possibility of outright club defections from domestic leagues was not on the new tournament's "short-term agenda".
...
Nevertheless, a decision to join the new European tournament will leave its participants exposed to the suggestion that they were enriching themselves at the expense of domestic rivals, exacerbating the already-vast financial gulf between teams at the top and bottom of the Premier League.
...
Central to the new league would be the question of whether its fixtures are played in the existing slots allocated to Champions' League matches, or whether the prize of drawing vast live audiences in Asia and the US, as well as Europe, means there is an attempt to play them throughout the day at weekends. It emerged (this month) that Liverpool and Manchester United were leading a quest to reform the Premier League by cutting the number of teams from 20 to 18 and giving the so-called 'big six' and other long-standing shareholders in the top flight enhanced voting rights that would effectively hand them outright control. The League Cup, currently sponsored by Carabao, and the Community Shield, would also have been expunged from the calendar or played without the involvement of clubs taking part in European competitions.
...
The prospective involvement of some of the top flight's elite clubs in a European super league format would help to explain their desire to curb the number of domestic fixtures to which they are committed.

Fair enough. I'd love to see them explain how they're going to fit over 70 games into a season.

Edited by G51
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...