(FIFA backed) European Premier League

charger29

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Its UEFA finally getting the wee closed shop, show pony cabal they have desperately wanted. It might not improve what you see on TV when you watch EPL, but it will improve football for football fans of the remaining clubs down South IMO.

It will make not one iota of difference to me as a Falkirk fan, and it does have the added bonus that it may renew the interest of the arse cheeks to f**k off as Mr Alli says.

Just get all these franchise mega clubs to f**k.

I agree with this posts sentiment

3 hours ago, Lofarl said:

No mention of the two utter wee diddy teams up here eh.  Sair yin.

Aye, you'd have thought Scotland's European pioneers and the European double cup winning side would have been mentioned, but there's nothing easier got than a disappointment.

That the top European teams play each other all the time is what makes CL/EL boring now. It used to be that the rarity was part of the attraction of it. This is only going to make things worse.

Given the big EPL teams are already moaning about playing too many games, how are they going to compete in this without it having an impact on domestic leagues? 

Basically, it’s a shite idea.

I think we are living with a poor version of a superleague now anyway. The CL is dominated by the same elite teams who in turn absolutely dominate their domestic leagues. 

If all these clubs move to their own competition and domestic leagues become competitive and unpredictable then I would be all for it. Unfortunately in Scotland our elite clubs aren't as big as they think they are so won't be invited meaning we'll be stuck with the same 2 teams winning the league for evermore. 

18 hours ago, G51 said:

I mean, I've been pretty consistent on this for a long time. I don't want to join a European league, I don't want to move to England, I want to stay in Scotland.

You want to stay in Scotland where you have a monumental advantage over every other club except 1. The financial gap between the big 2 in Scotland and the rest is the biggest in Europe making it the most imbalanced league in Europe. I don't know how any fan can find the Scottish Premiership interesting knowing that. The only time I have an interest in Celtic and Rangers is when they play in Europe as they take on sides their own size or bigger. And ask yourself this, is the atmosphere on a European night bigger and better than a home league game to St Mirren???? You're very unlikely to know any Braga fans but you probably know ST Mirren fans but what game gets your fans more excited????

18 hours ago, G51 said:

The OF would never get into this kind of thing anyway. The teams only generate any kind of interest in Scotland, which isn't the type of market these leagues are trying to tap into. What's more, the actual OF game is the only selling point for both Rangers and Celtic, and we primarily use the game to settle age-old questions about Irish history by shouting sectarian slurs at each other. Those in the ESL's target market simply don't care about Scotland, and they care even less about the relief of Derry 300 years ago. Old Firm fans thinking we'd ever get accepted into this type of thing are deluding themselves.

I appreciate your honestly here. I think if this European superleague ever looked to expand markets like Turkey and Russia with their huge populations would be next in line. Scotland is such a small market that you would be quite a bit down the priority list.

18 hours ago, G51 said:

The best way to defeat this kind of idea is to let the 18 teams go ahead and do it. Set up your own league and treat them with absolute hatred and derision. Just watch it become the footballing equivalent of the Harlem Globetrotters.

I would like to see all the elite clubs brought down a peg or two (you and Celtic included) but sadly I think this league would be a massive success due to the money it would make from global audiences. The money the players make would go through the roof and all players outside this league would be desperate to move to it. 

5 minutes ago, ahemps said:

You want to stay in Scotland where you have a monumental advantage over every other club except 1. The financial gap between the big 2 in Scotland and the rest is the biggest in Europe making it the most imbalanced league in Europe. I don't know how any fan can find the Scottish Premiership interesting knowing that. The only time I have an interest in Celtic and Rangers is when they play in Europe as they take on sides their own size or bigger. And ask yourself this, is the atmosphere on a European night bigger and better than a home league game to St Mirren???? You're very unlikely to know any Braga fans but you probably know ST Mirren fans but what game gets your fans more excited????

I appreciate your honestly here. I think if this European superleague ever looked to expand markets like Turkey and Russia with their huge populations would be next in line. Scotland is such a small market that you would be quite a bit down the priority list.

I would like to see all the elite clubs brought down a peg or two (you and Celtic included) but sadly I think this league would be a massive success due to the money it would make from global audiences. The money the players make would go through the roof and all players outside this league would be desperate to move to it. 

I'm pretty sure my first post on here was an idea for equalising revenue across the league. I'm a big fan of revenue sharing because a more competitive league helps us all, OF included, in the long term.

Playing Braga is more exciting at the minute for sure. But that's because it's a novelty in big European knockout competition, and there's genuine uncertainty about what the outcome will be. If the likes of St Mirren had the budget to put a decent team together, and the league was closer, and the outcome wasn't almost predetermined, that would rapidly change.

1 hour ago, ahemps said:

Of course the atmosphere on a European night is better than a standard league game and would feel more exciting. Mainly down to every home game being massive for clubs if they are looking to progress through the group stages/knockouts.

It would be completely different if, just using the teams you mentioned as an example, you had Rangers playing at home to Braga as they sit 12th and 13th in an 18 team Euro League.

Presumably if this Euro league goes ahead then it means no Champions League. Is the Europa League still going to be going and this the only route to European money for those left behind? 

How will the likes of Celtic and other European league clubs who don’t always make it as far but are never the less, usually involved for a while deal with the loss of European football revenue? and even more, the possible loss of European football that probably keeps most of their fans engaged?

Another nail in the coffin for football if you ask me. 

Would soon get boring playing the same teams year in year out......just like the champions league tbh

Imagine the rivalry liverpool and madrid fans would have o0o0o0o0o0o "stick your chorizo up your ass"

Edited by red23

Citation needed.
@ahemps is likely correct.
In the last UEFA report, in terms of percentage difference in wage bills, Scotland was the worse when comparing its top 3 clubs to its 4th-6th. This is for the top 20 European leagues only.
They only use an average of top 3 figure, not top 2 so it'll be even more skewed when Aberdeen, who were 3rd at the time of the report, are removed.
I believe Portugal are the worst when comparing top of the league to the bottom. Mainly due to Portugal being the only league allowing individual clubs to sign their own TV deals.

There's a link to the report at the bottom of this page. Page 90 of the report has the info.
https://www.footballbenchmark.com/library/2020_uefa_club_licensing_benchmarking_report