Career change.

MONKMAN

I went to college and uni at 26 and graduated this year. In the construction field. Before that I was working in retail. Don't regret it but had my job after graduation cancelled. The problem is getting work experience in the field, not having much luck. I tried to get experience in my last year of uni but nothing came of it.

4 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

Yes. At 34 I quit Engineering to become a Maths teacher, best move I ever made!

Quit work for a year to do my PGCE, thankfully could afford to, and it has made a huge difference to my life.

Do you think moving to America was a good choice? Or do you think things would have panned out much the same if you'd stayed in Scotland?

Edited by welshbairn

I’ve applied to not so much change career but get a career, I’ll be over 40 when I qualify.
I am planning on studying Nursing at university next year. I will be 34 by the time I qualify.
Not sure age really matters in a lot of careers. When I did my nursing there were 3 or 4 woman in their late 40's starting.

I done a politics degree then after a couple of years of working, got a training contract and I am around half way through the ICAS chartered accountancy qualification.

Would disagree about career prospects if you are chartered. Places are desperate for accountants, there’s jobs going constantly and automation isn’t going to relinquish the need for accountants.

It’s a bit dull, and the ICAS qualification is difficult and time consuming, but overall would say it’s a fairly decent career. I expect to be earning around £40-£45k around 12-24 months after qualifying and I’ll be 27-28.

8 hours ago, staggy1929 said:

in school your never told to go get work and life experience then go to uni when you're ready. They push the 'know what you want to do for the rest of your life at 17' rhetoric. 

That was your experience, so it's clearly universal, yeah?

32 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Not sure age really matters in a lot of careers. When I did my nursing there were 3 or 4 woman in their late 40's starting.

I’ve applied to psych nursing so I doubt I’ll be the only person with some miles on the clock.

34 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Aren't you a train driver now? 

What was it that made you leave the nursing? 

Edit : 'the nursing' sounds dangerously close to where the shorts caused accusations of. :lol:

Edited by Mr. Alli

8 hours ago, TheScarf said:

I'm a brickie but since I was 18 in 2003 I've bounced between that and IT support.  Now as I turn 35 I've decided I can't be arsed with building anymore and want to sit on my arse fixing IT problems for the rest of my days.

Not exactly a career change, but a decision to stick to doing one thing.  Being a brickie is great in the summer, and when your boss isn't a complete c**t b*****d.  In the winter, working for a c**t b*****d? No thanks.

I used to labour for brickies and scaffolders as a summer job as a student. Got fit and got a tan, plus it was a great laugh. Definitely wouldn’t have fancied it in the winter months. 

Just now, Shandön Par said:

I used to labour for brickies and scaffolders as a summer job as a student. Got fit and got a tan, plus it was a great laugh. Definitely wouldn’t have fancied it in the winter months. 

Yep I quit in August there and my arms are still tanned, put about a stone on since then too since I now sit on my arse all day. It's shite in the winter. You can wear all the waterproofs you want but they aren't designed for 9 hours in the rain. You still get soaked wearing them. 

I’ve applied to psych nursing so I doubt I’ll be the only person with some miles on the clock.
Good stuff. That's what I went for. Hated it by the end if I'm being honest, just far too much paperwork and not enough patient contact which for me should be what the job is all about.

Not to put a downer on it for you and tbh I think the problem was old fashioned backward nurses rather than 'the system' so hopefully things are different now. It was 10 years a go I did it.

The course itself was great for me regardless. I was a lot more judgemental before it and had a real dislike for certain people in our society. It made me grow up sharply aged 18 as well as see things differently about people's choices in life. Having a good understanding of mental illness isn't a bad thing anyway so I'm happy I did the course.
Aren't you a train driver now? 
What was it that made you leave the nursing? 
Edit : 'the nursing' sounds dangerously close to where the shorts caused accusations of. [emoji38]
By January/February hopefully! Covid kind of delayed things. I never qualified as a nurse. I completed the 3 years but failed my final assessment by about 3% and didn't want to go back after 6 months to redo my last year. I wasn't enjoying it from Year 2 onwards and just stuck it out because I didn't know what else to do. Failing was gutting at the time but it was the best thing for me in the long term as I know had I qualified I'd be doing the job scared to leap elsewhere regardless if I liked it or not.

I stayed in a mental health job I hated for about 6 years as it was security before realising I needed to get a grip of my life. It wasn't fair on the service users either. I don't think you can work in mental health if you don't care and if I'm being truthful I really didn't by the end.

Again,not to put a downer on Rowan, it was the place/management rather than the working in MH that was the issue.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Na, I think life experience is valued in many professions. 

I actually applied when I was much younger and was told to come back when I had more professional and life experience.

Na, I think life experience is valued in many professions. 
I actually applied when I was much younger and was told to come back when I had more professional and life experience.
I'd say so. Though with nursing I think being young can be just as advantageous. My thinking was we were young and could therefore be moulded into what they wanted. That can be trickier with older people set in their ways in that profession which you'll witness first hand during your training (unfortunately).

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Yep I quit in August there and my arms are still tanned, put about a stone on since then too since I now sit on my arse all day. It's shite in the winter. You can wear all the waterproofs you want but they aren't designed for 9 hours in the rain. You still get soaked wearing them. 

Could see it ageing people too. Weather, cement dust etc. 

54 minutes ago, Shandön Par said:

Could see it ageing people too. Weather, cement dust etc. 

In my experience scaffolders and roofers age the most.

Must be the daily psychological of struggle knowing death is one misstep away.

Plus the terrible diet which seems compulsory in the trade. Generally wiry guys who live on a diet of full fat bru and Greggs 😆

I jacked in being a chef at 19 and went off to get a sedate office job which has given me a better standard of life and is unlikely to take a serious physical strain in my later life. Also the progression in an office environment is much easier with less effort in comparison to the catering industry.

I would say go for it especially the training at the end of the day it might not be for you but its still a feather in your cap.