Career change.

MONKMAN

42 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I'm a brickie but since I was 18 in 2003 I've bounced between that and IT support.  Now as I turn 35 I've decided I can't be arsed with building anymore and want to sit on my arse fixing IT problems for the rest of my days.

Not exactly a career change, but a decision to stick to doing one thing.  Being a brickie is great in the summer, and when your boss isn't a complete c**t b*****d.  In the winter, working for a c**t b*****d? No thanks.

How about building PCs?

I'm a brickie but since I was 18 in 2003 I've bounced between that and IT support.  Now as I turn 35 I've decided I can't be arsed with building anymore and want to sit on my arse fixing IT problems for the rest of my days. Not exactly a career change, but a decision to stick to doing one thing.  Being a brickie is great in the summer, and when your boss isn't a complete cunt bastard.  In the winter, working for a cunt bastard? No thanks.

Kind of the other way around, I had a handyman around recently who had been a pilot before being made redundant and then going off to college to learn joinery. He now largely does that and fitting people's bathrooms, which half the country seems to need just now as holiday cash pots are being used for new bathrooms. "I've never been so busy" he said.

2 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

Has anyone ever done a complete career change and retrained in an entirely new profession? If so, at what stage in their life?  I'm half considering spending a couple of years studying distance learning, for a degree (or post-grad) completely different to my current role.  My work rotation allows plenty of time off, so there wouldn't be an issue finding the time to study.  It quite like the idea of being productive in my time off, instead of watching homes under the hammer every day.

How would employers look at new graduates in their mid-late 30's, compared to 21 year olds straight out off the uni conveyor belt?  

I am guessing it'll be different in every sector, but I joined my company aged 26 at the same time as a fresh 22 year old grad . It's only 4 years difference but having already worked for 3/4 years I could notice the difference between us almost instantly in terms of slotting far more easily into the "work environment". I'd be shocked if my bosses/directors didn't also notice, and think most sensible employers won't favour the young ains when, in reality, at age 35 you're going to be working for the next 30 years at least so it doesn't make a blind bit of difference. Ironically,  the other guy that joined at the same time as me actually packed it in after 2 years to start an entirely new career in a different field. 

1 hour ago, MONKMAN said:

Accounting.

What would be your plan? Do the degree and then a professional qualification? For most/all accounting qualifications a degree isn’t required. Personally if I could go back and do it again I probably wouldn’t bother with uni and do ICAS over 5 years (and gain 5 years relevant work experience) rather than the 4+3 it took me in the end. Uni was class though so probably not.

Edited by Bonksy+HisChristianParade

57 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Accounting.

Can I ask why? Genuine question.

If it's for job opportunities then automation will definitely have an effect on the industry, and it's not a sector that's really struggling to recruit like IT (at least as far as I can see). Also, once you get a degree, you might still hit a ceiling until you get a qualification like ACCA or CIMA.

Not trying to put you off though if that's what you really fancy, just it's not quite the guaranteed career it once was IMO.

3 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

Has anyone ever done a complete career change and retrained in an entirely new profession? If so, at what stage in their life?  I'm half considering spending a couple of years studying distance learning, for a degree (or post-grad) completely different to my current role.  My work rotation allows plenty of time off, so there wouldn't be an issue finding the time to study.  It quite like the idea of being productive in my time off, instead of watching homes under the hammer every day.

How would employers look at new graduates in their mid-late 30's, compared to 21 year olds straight out off the uni conveyor belt?  

You've made your bed, lie in it!

This is a really good point. I'm doing a grad job at the moment and felt I'd be one of the few older than 21/22. There's a lot of folk in the 24-27 age bracket and a couple older who have gone and done different things since graduating or not gone directly from school to uni. I'd say overall it's a real benefit, the extra maturity makes a big difference and seemed to be something they looked for.

I reckon there's also an element of getting taken more seriously by lecturers as they clearly really want to be there and haven't simply signed up for uni just because everyone else in their S6 class was doing so or mum/dad pressurised them into doing so.

FWIW, I started my PhD in my 30s and seemed to be the only student in the department who hadn't fallen into it straight out of their MSc, which came straight after their BSc. Then has led into a completely different discipline and resultant job, albeit in the same overall subject.

The external supervisor I had has a history of temporarily using PhD students for his own industry projects, but I seem to have been the only one that he's used at a more serious level. Might be a maturity-related thing, but could equally be previous work experience (although that was in a different field). I have since taken over his business as he attempts to retire.

Thing is, I initially went to uni and studied electric engineering for a year before switching courses and coming away with something completely unrelated. Also, my dad started his working life at Ravenscraig, ended up being a lab technician around Aberdeen, ended up being a HSE equipment salesman around Scotland and now works as some police transport surveillance guy Down Under. In a way, knowing that I'll be in my current role in 25 years time would be a rather dull thought even though I enjoy it.

I left a  great job at 32 and moved to a different country and a new job in a completely unrelated field. Had no experience in the new field but got a job somewhat up the food chain on the account of being able to evidence a bit of intelligence and adherence to rules.

i fucking hated the new job and lasted a year. However, it was great experience and led to the fulfilling career I now find myself in.

Go for it.

1 hour ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

What would be your plan? Do the degree and then a professional qualification? For most/all accounting qualifications a degree isn’t required. Personally if I could go back and do it again I probably wouldn’t bother with uni and do ICAS over 5 years (and gain 5 years relevant work experience) rather than the 4+3 it took me in the end. Uni was class though so probably not.

Looking at doing the ACCA qualification, tied in with a degree.  The first 9 modules (applied knowledge and skills) and 2 professional development modules, and that allow enough credits to obtain a BA (Hons) in applied accounting.

25 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Looking at doing the ACCA qualification, tied in with a degree.  The first 9 modules (applied knowledge and skills) and 2 professional development modules, and that allow enough credits to obtain a BA (Hons) in applied accounting.

Aye good way to do it. Shame you’ve gone for the inferior qualification but 😉

2 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

True, but I'd imagine you'd need to deal with all manner of shite.  Not for me.

There was a job going in the Highlands that involved driving around various reservoirs taking water samples, quite fancied it.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

There was a job going in the Highlands that involved driving around various reservoirs taking water samples, quite fancied it.

There were a pile of job advertisements for a new gold mine near Tyndrum very recently.  Link

Q: What do you do for a living?

A: I'm a 'gold room technician'.

Eta: closing day for applications in 10 days...

Edited by Hedgecutter