Career change.

MONKMAN

Has anyone ever done a complete career change and retrained in an entirely new profession? If so, at what stage in their life?  I'm half considering spending a couple of years studying distance learning, for a degree (or post-grad) completely different to my current role.  My work rotation allows plenty of time off, so there wouldn't be an issue finding the time to study.  It quite like the idea of being productive in my time off, instead of watching homes under the hammer every day.

How would employers look at new graduates in their mid-late 30's, compared to 21 year olds straight out off the uni conveyor belt?  

18 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Has anyone ever done a complete career change and retrained in an entirely new profession? If so, at what stage in their life?  I'm half considering spending a couple of years studying distance learning, for a degree (or post-grad) completely different to my current role.  My work rotation allows plenty of time off, so there wouldn't be an issue finding the time to study.  It quite like the idea of being productive in my time off, instead of watching homes under the hammer every day.

How would employers look at new graduates in their mid-late 30's, compared to 21 year olds straight out off the uni conveyor belt?  

I did when I was in my late 20’s. I had worked on financial services (call centres mainly) and I was 26 when I went to Uni and did my undergrad. Moved into Librarianship from there. 

Now I am in a position where I potentially would be hiring employees I’d say that I’d look on it pretty favourably, certainly I wouldn’t consider the age you graduate to be a negative factor. I think that you’ve looked at things, realised you want to make a change and then taking action to make it, would all be positive points for me in looking for an employee.

31 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

I had a similar discussion in another thread recently, I don't know if it's ever too late as long as you can afford to do it and are sure what you'd be doing is gonna be what you want to do. 

In terms of how it's looked upon, having been involved with hiring before, it's not really considered relevant and having wider experience then returning to education is likely to be seen as a sign of consideration and commitment. If it's in a different sector I would try and find some relevant experience while studying, volunteering for instance.

I'm seriously thinking about trying to get a distance learning degree in Environmental Management/Ecology, having previously studied History and now working in professional services. I'd have to get a couple of highers as well I think first but imo would be worth it. 

2 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

If it's in a different sector I would try and find some relevant experience while studying, volunteering for instance.

I definitely agree with this. Experience is usually the most relevant factor so at entry level you might be competing against people who have done the same/similar work before or also have done some volunteering. You need to find a way to at least get yourself on par there.

In the process of doing this. It's probably never too late but wish I had started the process a bit earlier than I did.

If you have the time to do it without being financially hurt as well then the only answer is to do it.

Redundancy gave me the kick up the arse to do it and the knowledge that I wouldn't be completely skint whilst gaining the qualifications necessary.

kinda similar yeah, especially from the pandemic. Not so much changing career but just trying to get a professional accreditation so I can fucking start one :(.

I've been thinking of trying to do some sort of professional accreditation (ACCA, ATT) since the HND in Accounting I got hasn't really helped me land even any interviews and due to fucking up in my younger years at Uni I really don't want to either self fund or jump right into an honours top-up course (left in 2nd year at about 19, being brutally honest I was just a shiftless b*****d back then), sort of stuck doing routine clerical work on an ongoing temp basis at the moment - part of which involves a fair chunk of reviewing CV's. Eye-opening to me how many folk on their CV's have "good" job titles for lack of a better word (anything from transactional finance stuff like Accounts Assistant, Finance Assistant roles right through to Financial Controller/Accounts Team Leader) off the back of some of the AAT qualifications in particular, some of them have a BSc or the like but not all.

Have been squirrelling away money but having to self fund it and cutting my work hours to part time is making me hesitant to do it.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

4 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

kinda similar yeah, especially from the pandemic. Not so much changing career but just trying to get a professional accreditation so I can fucking start one :(.

I've been thinking of trying to do some sort of professional accreditation (ACCA, ATT) since the HND in Accounting I got hasn't really helped me land even any interviews and due to fucking up in my younger years at Uni I really don't want to either self fund or jump right into an honours top-up course (left in 2nd year at about 19, being brutally honest I was just a shiftless b*****d back then), sort of stuck doing routine clerical work on an ongoing temp basis at the moment - part of which involves a fair chunk of reviewing CV's. Eye-opening to me how many folk on their CV's have "good" job titles for lack of a better word (anything from transactional finance stuff like Accounts Assistant, Finance Assistant roles right through to Financial Controller/Accounts Team Leader) off the back of some of the AAT qualifications in particular, some of them have a BSc or the like but not all.

Have been squirrelling away money but having to self fund it and cutting my work hours to part time is making me hesitant to do it.

Aye, I'm due to get an accountancy qualifications (not full chartered but decent) through my work this year, so I'm going to hold off plans until I'm through that and also to give my job a chance to see if I feel differently about it after a year rather than a few months. They definitely are door openers in that sort of work. 

Just now, staggy1929 said:

I've just started uni at 23 as I hate my office job, I'm working full time as well as full time at uni. It's a lot of work but it's worth doing to have a career doing something you enjoy and see a future in. It's never too late.

Good man! If plans come to fruition for me I'll be 27/28 by the time I start a degree course. As you say doing both would be a lot of work but ultimately worth it in the long term!

Just now, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Aye, I'm due to get an accountancy qualifications (not full chartered but decent) through my work this year, so I'm going to hold off plans until I'm through that and also to give my job a chance to see if I feel differently about it after a year rather than a few months. They definitely are door openers in that sort of work. 

Good man! If plans come to fruition for me I'll be 27/28 by the time I start a degree course. As you say doing both would be a lot of work but ultimately worth it in the long term!

It's manageable by all accounts in first year, second year I may ask work to reduce my hours, then fully call it quits with the job in 3rd year and just do weekend work. Who knows though.

I thought I was a bit old to be starting uni but that's just because in school your never told to go get work and life experience then go to uni when you're ready. They push the 'know what you want to do for the rest of your life at 17' rhetoric. You'll enjoy a degree course it's quite fun being back in the mindset of academic learning!

1 hour ago, MONKMAN said:

Should be fine doing that. I didn’t go to uni until I was 26. Graduated when I was kicking the arse off 30 and age wasn’t an issue. Try do something that interests you, hopefully which you’ve a good chance of a job at the end of. 

What courses are you thinking of?

I'm a brickie but since I was 18 in 2003 I've bounced between that and IT support.  Now as I turn 35 I've decided I can't be arsed with building anymore and want to sit on my arse fixing IT problems for the rest of my days.

Not exactly a career change, but a decision to stick to doing one thing.  Being a brickie is great in the summer, and when your boss isn't a complete cunt bastard.  In the winter, working for a cunt bastard? No thanks.

4 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Should be fine doing that. I didn’t go to uni until I was 26. Graduated when I was kicking the arse off 30 and age wasn’t an issue. Try do something that interests you, hopefully which you’ve a good chance of a job at the end of. 

What courses are you thinking of?

Accounting.

2 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Accounting.

Accounting interests you? Fair enough, takes all sorts. Good luck with your studies.

I did Engineering, so I can’t really be slagging you. 

Edited by Scary Bear

13 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Accounting.

Lol that's literally the background I'm trying to get away from but fair play, there's a lot to be said for it especially if you're fed up of your work pattern (apologies, I might be misremembering but you're offshore right?) and the money is good and steady. There's also more and less interesting forms of accounting. Forensic accounting for instance would be fascinating I think.

1 hour ago, MONKMAN said:

I'm half considering spending a couple of years studying distance learning, for a degree (or post-grad) completely different to my current role.  My work rotation allows plenty of time off, so there wouldn't be an issue finding the time to study.  

That sounds like the perfect situation. Use the time off to get the degree and you're in the position of having a new set of skills alongside your existing ones - and you'll still be getting paid in your current job. It'll open many different ways forward and would mean a really strong CV. Just go for it! As an aside, a pal (45) was scared about doing something similar and said that after doing a 5 year part time degree he'd be 50. I asked what age he'd be in 5 years if he didn't.

2 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

I did it. I had worked in call centres and then financial services (mostly customer service roles) and then, when I was 23, my ex and I separated and she bought me out our flat. I then used that to leave work, go to Uni and did my honours in Accounting and Mathematics and then trained as a maths teacher.

I graduated when I was 29 and didn't have any problem finding a job. I felt I had a bit more life experience than other applicants.

9 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I did it. I had worked in call centres and then financial services (mostly customer service roles) and then, when I was 23, my ex and I separated and she bought me out our flat. I then used that to leave work, go to Uni and did my honours in Accounting and Mathematics and then trained as a maths teacher.

I graduated when I was 29 and didn't have any problem finding a job. I felt I had a bit more life experience than other applicants.

This is a really good point. I'm doing a grad job at the moment and felt I'd be one of the few older than 21/22. There's a lot of folk in the 24-27 age bracket and a couple older who have gone and done different things since graduating or not gone directly from school to uni. I'd say overall it's a real benefit, the extra maturity makes a big difference and seemed to be something they looked for.