Annan v Stranraer rerun

".. all in wrestling, like the World of Sport... "

Commentary seems pretty good, to me.

2 lovely goals.

In general, though, I seem to recall a few seasons ago.., Brechin City being referred to as a bunch of cloggers.

Look where they are now.

For Stranraer, 2 games, 2 red cards.   1 point.  Not good enough by a long way.

Edited by beefybake

Absolutely brutal assault by Gallagher on Jack Pardue. Hope the lad recovers but won't see him again this season.

Cracking strike by Moxon for the equaliser, contender for goal of the season already.

Annan seemed rattled after that "tackle" and didn't really get going until the last 10 minutes when were unlucky not get the winner.

Positive is still unbeaten and not looking as if we will leak goals.

Bizarre though to hear the HT results being read out to a practically empty ground!

Grant Gallagher's tackle was a goddamn stinker. How on earth could the commentator say it was an "honest attempt to play the ball"? Jack Purdue was striding way ahead of him before Gallagher dived in. I'm sure Gallagher didn't mean to injure Purdue but given the manner in which it happened and where it was on the pitch, there was definitely something in it - it was cynical and nasty and the red card was deserved.

I wish Purdue a speedy recovery, and I hope Gallagher has a long, hard look at himself.

Edited by Francesc Fabregas

10 hours ago, athletic 1 said:

Commentary on this is cringey emoji51.png

9 hours ago, Moonball said:

How so?

We're hearing that "honest attempt" line whilst watching a replay that the commentator wouldn't have had access to at the time, I would hope he regrets that line now, and even more so the cheeky wee laugh as the tackle was made.

Away from that incident, I think we're hearing something we're going to hear plenty of this season in the commentary - some keen fans with little or no experience giving it a fair go but suffering from some inevitable bias. 

More annoying for me is the habit of speaking over each other. It was really bad in the Cumnock friendly but much better in the Betfred game against Annan, and then better still when Shaun was on comms at Stair Park. There is clearly a main commentator here, the other two need to learn to keep quiet until he gives them space to speak.

42 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

it was cynical and nasty and the red card was deserved.

I wish Purdue a speedy recovery, and I hope Gallagher has a long, hard look at himself.

It's interesting that the ref instantly gave a yellow and then seemingly changed his mind when he saw the injury. Apparently he's overruled himself and changed the yellow to a straight red. I'm not sure if that's good refereeing or not.

As already mentioned, Gallagher's had his own long term injury problems, so he'll no doubt be feeling awful about what's happened to Purdue. Like everyone, I hope Jack gets through his recovery ok, he'd made a great start to life at Galabank, I really hope to see him back starting next season just as well.

10 hours ago, athletic 1 said:

Should’ve been three points in the bag! Our debated second goal definitely looked over the line

It certainly did. Impossible to tell for sure without another angle, but the player reactions tell a story. Annan's celebrations look instinctive rather than chancing it and the Stranraer players all stop for a moment before they realise play is continuing. 

5 minutes ago, DG.Roma said:

We're hearing that "honest attempt" line whilst watching a replay that the commentator wouldn't have had access to at the time, I would hope he regrets that line now, and even more so the cheeky wee laugh as the tackle was made.

Away from that incident, I think we're hearing something we're going to hear plenty of this season in the commentary - some keen fans with little or no experience giving it a fair go but suffering from some inevitable bias. 

I would agree with this - a lot of the commentary I've listened to over the last couple of weeks has generally been enthusiastic but, at times, it's verged on insufferable. I appreciate it's a difficult skill to master and it should improve across the board as the season progresses, but there's nothing worse than paying £10 to an opposition club's stream and listen to someone insinuate your team is a bunch of cunts for 90 minutes.

Wish Purdue a speedy recovery.  If he’d got up and walked away nobody would be talking about the tackle. Some of the criticism I feel is unfair. An honest attempt to win the ball. Anyone that’s watched Gallagher will know that. 
Took a lot of guts to hold on for a draw yesterday given how soulless our performance was against Elgin. 
Happy enough with a point away from home. 

He’s not trying to play the ball let’s not pretend otherwise.  IMO it’s not anything particularly sinister either,  he’s tried a standard ‘take the booking’ tackle and has has gone in too hard and unfortunately caught Purdue badly.  It’s a red card  but not anything beyond that.

18 hours ago, Mattmc said:

Wish Purdue a speedy recovery.  If he’d got up and walked away nobody would be talking about the tackle. Some of the criticism I feel is unfair. An honest attempt to win the ball. 

Aye....and if my auntie had baws she'd be my uncle.

No attempt to win the ball at all and a fully deserved red for serious foul play 

14 hours ago, Mattmc said:

May as well wind up football forums as based on this logic there's nothing to discuss.  Surely football is all about ifs and buts. 

Aye. If your player hadn't cynically cleaned him out then he wouldn't have broken his leg.  You still insisting he tried to play the ball?

The club received a request from the injured player's family to edit it out.

Quite right, I was amazed that they originally included the challenge in their highlights never mind the fact they replayed it over and over in slow motion!!!
I noticed Annan left it out of their highlights [emoji1319]

1 hour ago, athletic 1 said:

Quite right, I was amazed that they originally included the challenge in their highlights never mind the fact they replayed it over and over in slow motion!!!
I noticed Annan left it out of their highlights emoji1319.png

It was more a case of him not wanting to relive it than the fact it was originally included. Hopefully he's on the road to recovery and back on the pitch again in the not too distant future.