Dumbarton vs Clyde

In my 30 plus years of following Scottish football  I can never remember a time when CLYDE were a big club.They had a spell when Alan Kernaghan had them challenging for a PL place back in 2002 but that was it.Flash in the pan.Where these delusions of grandeur come from  I do not know.Unless of course they are Trump voters and still  living in the 1950s.

Edited by lorenzo71

51 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

In my 30 plus years of following Scottish football  I can never remember a time when CLYDE were a big club.They had a spell when Alan Kernaghan had them challenging for a PL place back in 2002 but that was it.Flash in the pan.Where these delusions of grandeur come from  I do not know.Unless of course they are Trump voters and still  living in the 1950s.

We aren't a big club. We were the 3rd or 4th club in Glasgow (3rd if you ask us, 4th if you ask Partick fans) until we moved out of Shawfield.

We just have short periods where we do quite well for ourselves all things considered. We had a good 6 or 7 years in the top half of the championship after getting promoted in 2000 after we won the old 2nd division. After that the descent slowly started. 

Prior to that you're probably going back to when we missed out on a European place in the 70s(?) after finishing 2nd or 3rd in the old Premier/ First division because of the one team per city rule (which was f*cking ridiculous). Before that it's our scottish cup wins in the 50s!

I actually think some of us do think we are bigger than we actually are because of the era we started going to games. I started in the mid to late 90s when I was about 6 and apart from one season we had success in winning Division 2 and then doing well in Division 1 for years. So until we ended up in league 2 I always saw us as a "big" Championship club. We have since proven that we are far from that!

Edited by BullyWeeStonehouse

We did have an exceptionally good period where from 2000 to 2007 we won the second division, finished 2nd in the first division 3 times, beat Celtic in the Scottish Cup and made the Challenge Cup final.

Losing the first division title to ICT in 03/04 really was our sliding door moment. They went on to play in the Premier league, win the Scottish Cup and play in Europe while we were losing 8-1 to Montrose, finishing 10th in each league 3 years running and losing to Queens Park 12 times in a row.