Dumbarton vs Clyde

3 minutes ago, Ignoramus said:

And here's one of the reasons why that's the case. If you choose to have a grass surface in Scotland playing a winter sport, then you should be investing in proper maintenance staff to look after it.

Judging by the early posts in this thread before the postponement, there's certainly questions to be had there.

But anyway, shit happens in Scotland and let's hope we can get it played before Xmas.

Why would it not be played before Christmas? It's two months away with plenty of available midweeks unless Clyde's europa league games are going to get in the way!

5 minutes ago, Adolfo Rios said:
14 minutes ago, The Moonster said:
Based on one guy out walking his dog at half 10?  Come on boys, this is getting silly.

If it turns out they were working on the pitch then fine, but there has been nothing even from the club so far to suggest this is the case. If that is the case it seems stupid given what the weather was like.

There were four volunteers and the groundsman working on the pitch this morning. I totally agree the game should never have been called off, and if Buster was still there it wouldn't have been imho, but it wasn't for a lack of effort.

I drove from Crieff down for the game today and it never struck me for a minute it would be off. We're going to need to learn from this pronto or we won't be playing very many times at all until March.

I'm gutted about it, no point conducting a witch hunt though, what's the point. 

Flat Earth society in overdrive today, there's no reason why Dumbarton would have wanted the game off . Apart form anything else the bottom line financial loss from it reverting to a midweek fixture tells its own story.

2 minutes ago, Adolfo Rios said:

Nope but 3 words in the announcement would haven stopped any of this discussions. "Despite best efforts" or something along those lines. Or is everyone currently boarding Noah's Ark and we have all grossly underestimated the rainfall?

You're making a huge assumption that we haven't bothered to try and get the game on based on a tweet not explicitly stating that our staff have been doing their jobs. You're an absolute numpty.

There were four volunteers and the groundsman working on the pitch this morning. I totally agree the game should never have been called off, and if Buster was still there it wouldn't have been imho, but it wasn't for a lack of effort.
I drove from Crieff down for the game today and it never struck me for a minute it would be off. We're going to need to learn from this pronto or we won't be playing very many times at all until March.
That's fair enough then that work was at least done. That's all you can ask and that clarity would have helped when it was announced IMO.

You're making a huge assumption that we haven't bothered to try and get the game on based on a tweet not explicitly stating that our staff have been doing their jobs. You're an absolute numpty.

I'm giving an opinion on what was on here and elsewhere, you're jumping to insults.  

Hopefully the match will be rescheduled sooner rather than later.

3 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Not sure if buster is a poster on here, but it’s clear with your post as someone who would have been at game today , that every effort was made but the efforts were just simply not good enough . Incompetence it is . Any Dumbarton fan on here needs to accept that the only numpties on here are from their club 

Look boys we're all disappointed we don't have our teams to watch but there doesn't always need to be someone to blame. Shit happens sometimes.
That's a bit glib IMO. In a season when every club needs a decent take-up of PPV it's a right bad advert for Sons when the first home league fixture is kyboshed, especially when every other game is on. Sure, shit happens, but so does trusting to fate and that could literally cost us if we have many repeats and fans don't subscribe. It isn't rocket science, and that pitch will be playable at 3pm today.

Really disappointing the game is off. We've been playing well and have no injury worries while Dumbarton seem to be pretty poor just now, would have been an ideal time to play them.

A 12.15 kick off when there is no fans etc is rather early.

1 minute ago, Turnberry Fields Forever said:

That's a bit glib IMO. In a season when every club needs a decent take-up of PPV it's a right bad advert for Sons when the first home league fixture is kyboshed, especially when every other game is on. Sure, shit happens, but so does trusting to fate and that could literally cost us if we have many repeats and fans don't subscribe. It isn't rocket science, and that pitch will be playable at 3pm today.

Unless you know something I don't, I'm not sure what else the club is supposed to do in regards to today. 

18 minutes ago, Ignoramus said:

And here's one of the reasons why that's the case. If you choose to have a grass surface in Scotland playing a winter sport, then you should be investing in proper maintenance staff to look after it.

Judging by the early posts in this thread before the postponement, there's certainly questions to be had there.

But anyway, shit happens in Scotland and let's hope we can get it played before Xmas.

U should maybe invest in your own ground then rather than piggy back off some lowland league team.

1 minute ago, Clydeontheup said:

Not sure if buster is a poster on here, but it’s clear with your post as someone who would have been at game today , that every effort was made but the efforts were just simply not good enough . Incompetence it is . Any Dumbarton fan on here needs to accept that the only numpties on here are from their club 

Buster is on here...and I think it's quite obvious who he is too!

Our pitch is a nightmare and he's been the only groundsman who has been able to make it like a bowling green in recent years. I'd hazard a guess that the new groundsman, with a lack of experience, just wasn't expecting it to be as it was or hadn't done something Buster would've to get a borderline pitch playable.

Fwiw I got a message before the inspection from someone at the stadium saying they thought it would be on, so I suspect it was a marginal call.

Really glad that God (who we all know is a Son) dropped all that rain on the pitch so we can avoid a Saturday afternoon game with the superpower that is Clyde F.C. So much to be feared so at least we don’t need to pit our wits against them this early in the season. What a relief.

We all get to do the gardening and go for the week’s shopping now, thank goodness.

Pissed down here since Wednesday. Was raining heavily overnight too. Weather has been fine since about 10 this morning so it's disappointing that the game isn't happening. Quite a few problems with our pitch - we're built on a filled in industrial site/former boat builder. We've got the river right beside the ground. It's also clear that we've not been able to spend what we usually would on the pitch.

Shit happens.

We could do with increasing the budget for pitch maintenance. Different ground staff this year also won't have helped.

Just because efforts haven’t been sufficient doesn’t mean it’s incompetence as a result.

Some Clyde fans have an absolute minter here.

2 minutes ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

Really glad that God (who we all know is a Son) dropped all that rain on the pitch so we can avoid a Saturday afternoon game with the superpower that is Clyde F.C. So much to be feared so at least we don’t need to pit our wits against them this early in the season. What a relief.

We all get to do the gardening and go for the week’s shopping now, thank goodness.

Cheltenham on ITV racing.

13 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I think we can accept that this wasn't a "tactical" postponement - but by the words of one of your own, it looks like it's off due to ineptitude on the part of Dumbarton FC.