Dumbarton vs Clyde

4 hours ago, The Moonster said:

He works hard and sticks to his duties fairly well. Duffy knows him well and trusts him to do a job and tbh he's probably a decent squad player to have around at this level. The problem is he offers absolutely nothing in the final third of the pitch which is where our biggest problems are, he's now played over 30 games for us and is yet to find the net - that's no use to us.

He'll be out for a few weeks yet as he dislocated his shoulder against Dunfermline and we had Matthew Reilly playing as a trialist against Forfar, so perhaps we'll have more options out wide soon. 

I've seen Stefan when he was with Pollok. If we were away and I was going to a Clan game on a Saturday night with my Lok supporting mate then we'd go along to Newlandsfield in the afternoon to watch Pollok. I can get why Duffy thinks McCluskey can do a job. He isnt a winger. His touch isnt good enough and his final ball into the box isnt the best. He's still got a turn of pace and he likes running at people. Play him off a target man or play him between the striker and the midifled and ask him to get the ball and run at defenders and he'll win free kicks. Play a decent weighted ball through to him and his pace will give the defenders something to worry about as he runs through for the pass.

All of which relies on him playing in the right position, being fit and being confident. We've never really seen that in his time with Dumbarton. There's always a niggle or an injury. Or he's shunted out wide to play as an out and out winger. Or he's dropped to the bench and never really given a proper run. He's never going to be a game changer in the way that guys like Dom Thomas were for us. I think he could do a similar job to Callum Gallagher and I see a lot of the same issues that C-Gal had with us. Played wide instead of centrally. Very much a confidence player who needed a run of games. He's a guy who could offer us a different option but even if he was fit, I'm not sure how he fits in to a starting 11 at Dumbarton? 2nd striker or behind a pairing of Crossan and one of the 2 bigger strikers?

57 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

I've seen Stefan when he was with Pollok. If we were away and I was going to a Clan game on a Saturday night with my Lok supporting mate then we'd go along to Newlandsfield in the afternoon to watch Pollok. I can get why Duffy thinks McCluskey can do a job. He isnt a winger. His touch isnt good enough and his final ball into the box isnt the best. He's still got a turn of pace and he likes running at people. Play him off a target man or play him between the striker and the midifled and ask him to get the ball and run at defenders and he'll win free kicks. Play a decent weighted ball through to him and his pace will give the defenders something to worry about as he runs through for the pass.

All of which relies on him playing in the right position, being fit and being confident. We've never really seen that in his time with Dumbarton. There's always a niggle or an injury. Or he's shunted out wide to play as an out and out winger. Or he's dropped to the bench and never really given a proper run. He's never going to be a game changer in the way that guys like Dom Thomas were for us. I think he could do a similar job to Callum Gallagher and I see a lot of the same issues that C-Gal had with us. Played wide instead of centrally. Very much a confidence player who needed a run of games. He's a guy who could offer us a different option but even if he was fit, I'm not sure how he fits in to a starting 11 at Dumbarton? 2nd striker or behind a pairing of Crossan and one of the 2 bigger strikers?

Can't beat a night at a Clan game with a beer 👌🏼

12 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I'm not sure, @Jan Vojáček?

I make it four assists in 31 appearances last season. Two from corners (against Morton and Forfar Athletic), a pass against Clyde for PJ Crossan's goal in the home game in September and a cutback after forcing a defender into a mistake against East Fife.

1 minute ago, George Parr said:

McCluskey’s 30+ game no-goal record is extraordinary. I struggle to recall any other attacking player who’s achieved that in my time supporting the club. Even a fair proportion of the defensive-minded players will chip in with a goal over a 30 game period. 

Josh Todd was the last guy I remember like that. He went 27 games without scoring (Stef is on 32). I really liked Todd as a player mind you - it was strange that he didn't ever manage to find the net for us.

23 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Josh Todd was the last guy I remember like that. He went 27 games without scoring (Stef is on 32). I really liked Todd as a player mind you - it was strange that he didn't ever manage to find the net for us.

#StevieAitkenEffect

Also affected - Nisbet, Kevin : Brophy, Eamonn etc

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

I've signed up for the PPV thing tomorrow from Boghead. Can Dumbarton fans offer an assurance that the pitch is already being watered and that my car will be abraded or ignited in the traditional Dumbarton way when I look out the window after the match?

Not sure the pitch at Boghead will be up to much tomorrow.

5 hours ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

I've signed up for the PPV thing tomorrow from Boghead. Can Dumbarton fans offer an assurance that the pitch is already being watered and that my car will be abraded or ignited in the traditional Dumbarton way when I look out the window after the match?

AnotherSlimyBluebottlejellyfish-max-1mb.gif

12 hours ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

I’ll call round for your hubcaps presently. 

Just now, Ingo ohne Flamingo said:

I'm in Larbert mind you but our rain was that bad the all year round golf course across the road has shut today with how back the flooding was on all the greens. 

We’ve put out a few tweets this morning and there’s nae mention of any issues so I assume we are good to go.