Dumbarton vs Clyde

I would like to think we can kick on from beating Thistle and get our second victory of the season over Dumbarton.

Saying that, they will be a tougher test than Thistle were...

If we are to have any hope of sneaking a playoff place this is the type of game we need to make sure we win. 

I'm feeling confident but it would be peak Clyde to lose this one after the result at the weekend!

Edited by BullyWeeStonehouse

Excellent win and performance at the weekend but Dumbarton are no easy task. On Saturday we played against a team who played higher up the pitch which suits our quick front line and fast play. Dumbarton will be sat further back and as we seen last weekend, let them get behind you and they will finish. 

Will be a stuffy game and Dumbarton won't be there to just turn up, they'll be fired up for this and will be looking for the win. 

On paper it's a Clyde win, but it won't be as simple as that. 

I have no doubt that with our options going forward that we will create plenty of chances in every game, just hope we're clinical in every game too!

My only slight concern is that in Forbes, Dumbarton have an excellent set peice taker whose deliveries will be a lot better than the pish Thistle served up on Saturday.

Edited by C. Muir

3 hours ago, C. Muir said:

My only slight concern is that in Forbes, Dumbarton have an excellent set peice taker whose deliveries will be a lot better than the pish Thistle served up on Saturday.

I reckon if you'd watched us on Saturday you wouldn't be concerned at all. Forbes looks like he hasn't seen a ball in 8 months and we were barely in the oppositions final third long enough to win any set pieces. I think most Sons fans are hoping for an addition or 2 this week before we hold out much hope of taking anything.

Suppose having PJ and Hamilton back might help is get further up the pitch, and dropping Jones for Wilson might also give us a bit of dynamism but it's a mystery what Duffy actually has in mind for us when he has everyone available. We are very one dimensional as it stands, and Lang will munch that dimension all day long if we stick with it.

We need to play to our strengths. We should be solid at the back and we've got graft in midfield. Our biggest problems are a lack of width and a lack of creativity. If we set up properly based on the players available then we could well be difficult for Clyde to beat and we would have some scope for good counter attacks. If we try and play players in roles they're not really accustomed to or rely on Ross Forbes for our main creative option then we're going to struggle and Clyde will win.

The squad Duffy has assembled really has to play 5-3-2 with 2 wingbacks and Crossan up front supporting whatever big striker we start with.

We should’ve been more comfortable in the cup tie last week, but if we defend like we did on Saturday then we should be able to close things out. 

We look good going forward and would like to think we can score a few, but it’s always a tighter game away at dumbarton on the smaller pitch. 

Edited by SLClyde

Don’t agree with people saying 3-5-2 suits us. Don’t have enough pace at Full back. Quintogo and Wardrop both fairly quick but not that fast. Normally what happens in this instance is you end up with a flat back 5 and no options up from or you end up with 2 wing backs unable to get back after bombing forward, leaving the back 3 exposed.

I like the look of the trialist last weekend. Jones and Johnston definitely don’t work together as they are to similar. I hope to see something like:-
Dabrowski
Wardrop, McGeever, Neil, Quintogo
Forbes, Carswell, Hamilton,
PJ/Wilson, Johnston, trialist

I thought we were at our best last season with the 4-3-3 and it gave us best balance in midfield. It’s also the only Formation that allows Forbes to show some creativity and not be exposed for lack of pace.

I would personally drop Wedderburn as I think he’s been slow and clumsy so far despite his on the ball composure. He gives away so many frustrating fouls just because he’s too slow and tbh that’s infuriating when the other team doesn’t look remotely threatening apart from when they have a set piece. Additionally if we’re are going to play a midfield 3 with Forbes we really need Hamilton’s box-to-box ability.

Given that duffy has already signed McCluskey and Crossan and has a winger on trial I think we can safely assume the 352 isn’t in his plans. 

I thought in our last encounter that both Clyde and ourselves looked a bit ropey at the back but they posed a far bigger threat going forward. If we are to have any chance of getting a result we simply need to start creating more chances and we need our strikers to start putting said chances away. I’ve been massively unimpressed with Jones and Johnstone so far, I’m not against both of them being dropped. I don’t believe we’re good enough at the back to shitfest a 1-0 against a team with decent attacking quality so we really need some goals.  

Dabrowski

Wardrop -- McGeever -- Neill -- Quitongo

Forbes -- Carswell -- Hamilton -- Crossan

Johnstone -- Wilson

He won't drop Wedderburn and I'd probably prefer someone with pace on the right (Matty Reilly if he's available again) but I reckon that will be close to what we go with. Denny isn't mobile enough for us to play the 4-3-3 that worked with Isaac last year and Wilson is apparently meant to be good playing in a front two, so lets try it out. 

3 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Given that duffy has already signed McCluskey and Crossan and has a winger on trial I think we can safely assume the 352 isn’t in his plans. 

I thought in our last encounter that both Clyde and ourselves looked a bit ropey at the back but they posed a far bigger threat going forward. If we are to have any chance of getting a result we simply need to start creating more chances and we need our strikers to start putting said chances away. I’ve been massively unimpressed with Jones and Johnstone so far, I’m not against both of them being dropped. I don’t believe we’re good enough at the back to shitfest a 1-0 against a team with decent attacking quality so we really need some goals.  

What does Duffy see in McCLuskey for him to keep signing him?!

22 minutes ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

What does Duffy see in McCLuskey for him to keep signing him?!

He works hard and sticks to his duties fairly well. Duffy knows him well and trusts him to do a job and tbh he's probably a decent squad player to have around at this level. The problem is he offers absolutely nothing in the final third of the pitch which is where our biggest problems are, he's now played over 30 games for us and is yet to find the net - that's no use to us.

He'll be out for a few weeks yet as he dislocated his shoulder against Dunfermline and we had Matthew Reilly playing as a trialist against Forfar, so perhaps we'll have more options out wide soon. 

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

He works hard and sticks to his duties fairly well. Duffy knows him well and trusts him to do a job and tbh he's probably a decent squad player to have around at this level. The problem is he offers absolutely nothing in the final third of the pitch which is where our biggest problems are, he's now played over 30 games for us and is yet to find the net - that's no use to us.

He'll be out for a few weeks yet as he dislocated his shoulder against Dunfermline and we had Matthew Reilly playing as a trialist against Forfar, so perhaps we'll have more options out wide soon. 

Not great for an attack minded winger. Has he chipped in with any assists?