Partick Thistle vs Airdrieonians

Usually, when Airdrie and opposition fans are confident of an Airdrie win that's a sure fire recipe for disaster. Added to that, with Thistle's next three games being us, Cove and Falkirk this is probably already a must win game for them. I would also expect them to be better with Brian Graham returning and Blair Lyons presumably finally getting a start (because why wouldn't he?). 

All that being said though... It's encouraging that Thistle were allegedly so poor going forward on Saturday. I thought Thistle would have the most potent attack in the league, and while I do expect them to get better, nothing would suit us more than for Thistle to pass the ball amongst themselves, shell out long balls for our defence to continuously mop up and for us to hit them on the break. That's exactly what we were good at last season and a perfect example of that was the 2-1 victory at Falkirk. This could turn out to be a very similar game and as long as Thistle are still profligate in front of goal that could suit us brilliantly. 

Would love to get a win here to really set down a marker and there's no reason why we can't. Assuming there's no injury problems I expect Murray to go with the exact same team and formation. As a result I expect us to be solid and hard-working once again but we may struggle to break Thistle down ourselves and so a goal on the break or from a set-piece may be our best bet. 

Too close to call in terms of predictions so I'm going to be optimistic and go for 1-0 Airdrie, Carrick to make a fool of Richard Foster for the goal and Amy MacDonald to get annoyed and go on a blocking spree on Twitter of both sets of fans for pointing this out. 

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

Usually, when Airdrie and opposition fans are confident of an Airdrie win that's a sure fire recipe for disaster. Added to that, with Thistle's next three games being us, Cove and Falkirk this is probably already a must win game for them. I would also expect them to be better with Brian Graham returning and Blair Lyons presumably finally getting a start (because why wouldn't he?). 

All that being said though... It's encouraging that Thistle were allegedly so poor going forward on Saturday. I thought Thistle would have the most potent attack in the league, and while I do expect them to get better, nothing would suit us more than for Thistle to pass the ball amongst themselves, shell out long balls for our defence to continuously mop up and for us to hit them on the break. That's exactly what we were good at last season and a perfect example of that was the 2-1 victory at Falkirk. This could turn out to be a very similar game and as long as Thistle are still profligate in front of goal that could suit us brilliantly. 

Would love to get a win here to really set down a marker and there's no reason why we can't. Assuming there's no injury problems I expect Murray to go with the exact same team and formation. As a result I expect us to be solid and hard-working once again but we may struggle to break Thistle down ourselves and so a goal on the break or from a set-piece may be our best bet. 

Too close to call in terms of predictions so I'm going to be optimistic and go for 1-0 Airdrie, Carrick to make a fool of Richard Foster for the goal and Amy MacDonald to get annoyed and go on a blocking spree on Twitter of both sets of fans for pointing this out. 

Agree with the fear that we're all set up for a rug pull haha would be typical. Might be that Clyde managed to catch them cold. If we can get through the first half without conceding (or better yet nab an early goal) they could cave in. 

Would especially enjoy the twitter entertainment of the bolded part, though. Seen a few Clyde fans lobbing grenades that way on Saturday. 

I’m never confident of an airdrie win. Can even remember telling a gala fairydean fan not to bet on us the game we went to win 11-0 against them.

Growing up in the early 2000’s any game against thistle was one with added edge so a shame to not get to this one. As for the game itself nothing to lose / nothing to fear going to an empty firhill. Thistle being favourites with id imagine a bigger budget and superior playing squad. However, I’d like to think we’ve got a chance of taking something from the game after a positive start last week. As for the team I’d go for the same as last Saturday.

Think thistle will quickly find out this league is harder than they think if they didn’t know already....

5 hours ago, airdrieman said:

I have gone for that also but as I am a really keen fan of Amy's music , I hope to avoid any twitter blocking. 

If, like me you collect programmes, there is a limited number of printed editions for Saturday's game available to buy for £3 plus delivery. 

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/partick-thistle-v-airdrieonians-match-programme-on-sale-now/ 

https://www.curtis-sport.com/online-store/Partick-Thistle-v-Airdrieonians-24-10-20-p245011163

5 minutes ago, sparkys dream said:

Are Patrick streaming the game couldn’t see anything on their website

We’ve been streaming friendlies and our league cup game, so we will be. We’ve not announced how much it’ll be though. I seem to recall we only announced details for the Queens Park game the day before.

We actually seem to have based our game plan on being somewhat defensively solid at the expense of having any sort of plan as to how we’re going to score goals ourselves, which is wild seeing as people tipped us to steamroll the division.

1-0 Airdrie. Ally Roy to be rebuilt using Robocop-style technology and then tap in a last minute winner. Zak Rudden to be crushed by a vending machine and ruled out for the rest of his contract.

7 minutes ago, VillanoXIV said:

We actually seem to have based our game plan on being somewhat defensively solid at the expense of having any sort of plan as to how we’re going to score goals ourselves, which is wild seeing as people tipped us to steamroll the division.

1-0 Airdrie. Ally Roy to be rebuilt using Robocop-style technology and then tap in a last minute winner. Zak Rudden to be crushed by a vending machine and ruled out for the rest of his contract.

Given our recent record, Ally Roy is bound to score a hat-trick against us. 

Rudden will be ruled out after cutting himself whilst shaving his legs.

1 hour ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Given our recent record, Ally Roy is bound to score a hat-trick against us. 

Rudden will be ruled out after cutting himself whilst shaving his legs.

Just now, Diamond10 said:

Ally Roy’s out injured for a while broken wrist I think.

That is certainly what the club reported and unless he does get a rebuild as suggested earlier, there is little chance of him playing, and much as he has been better this season, I don't  think I have seen more than 1 goal from Ally. As usual I could be way off.

10 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Does Ally Roy’s dad still come on here to regale everyone with stories of his hat trick against Killarney under 9’s or whoever the f**k it was?

And then have a tantrum when it’s pointed out that Ally Roy is shite.

Not that I've noticed, fortunately enough.

as an aside, I just found out yesterday that ally roy has blocked me on twitter.  Must have been the abuse for being absolutely chronic last season (well deserved IMO), I'd like to think that's whats spurred him on, or not.

3 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Not that I've noticed, fortunately enough.

as an aside, I just found out yesterday that ally roy has blocked me on twitter.  Must have been the abuse for being absolutely chronic last season (well deserved IMO), I'd like to think that's whats spurred him on, or not.

I only remember Ally Roy playing 1 game for Thistle and he was hopeless, think it was a cup match vs Stranraer and he was brought off for Kris Doolan. Anyway, we signed him on an 18 month deal so if it wasn’t for the fact he leaked things from the WhatsApp group, then he might’ve been a hard man to get rid of. 

Edited by JagsCG

Roy looked a different player in pre-season there so real shame about the broken wrist in the first competitive match. 

He does seem to have it in him, but confidence and momentum big factors for him. Scored a belter last season to put the cherry on it when we smacked east fife about last October, the 4-0. Cracking goal. 

Gallagher and Carrick both had decent returns last year, so fancy them to do the same again. Personally fancy a wee Richard Foster own goal on Saturday, but so long as it goes in, I'm no caring. 

15 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Does Ally Roy’s dad still come on here to regale everyone with stories of his hat trick against Killarney under 9’s or whoever the f**k it was?

And then have a tantrum when it’s pointed out that Ally Roy is shite.

Not yet but it has happened in the past with other players so every chance it will happen at some point. 

Roy disappointed last season. Scored 5 goals, which isn't necessarily the worst return on the face of it, but only 2 of them were in the league (the others in the League Cup group stages) and were both largely meaningless goals at the end of games we'd already comfortably won. Started the season off well enough in the League Cup but missed a terrible penalty in the second league game of the season against Montrose and seemed to fall apart completely after that. Looked totally bereft of confidence any time he came on and really just didn't contribute anything whenever he was on the park. The one game that sticks out for me was away to Albion Rovers in the cup. Gallagher was out so it was his chance to lay down a real marker and stake a claim for the starting spot against some poor opposition. Instead he missed an easy one-on-one and was largely anonymous before being hooked off. 

I, and I think most other Airdrie fans, were surprised he was kept on but he was looking sharp in pre-season, 'putting himself about' a lot more and I think he scored in every friendly bar one or two of them. The jury is still out for me as he's yet to produce any sort of form during the real stuff but given his performances it would have been good to see if he could translate it to league football. This is surely last chance saloon for him if he wants to make it as a full-time footballer so hopefully that will spur him on when he returns. He looks a real confidence player so not playing in front of fans might actually help him. 

Anyway, it's a shame he's out for Saturday and a shame no fans are allowed into the game. Would have been good to watch Roy thump in a last minute winner and dish GIRUYs to both sets of fans ;)