Partick Thistle vs Airdrieonians

I think the officials were under instructions to make sure you won today given the horrendous decision the SPFL made regarding your relegation.

Draw would have been a fairer result but encouraged by the way we stuck at it for the last 20 minutes against a latterly panicky Thistle defence

We’ll play much worse and win so heads up and on to the next challenge

FFS. :lol:

Agree with this, the new set up is a massive upgrade on Pixellot. My only complaint was they kept showing replays while there was still clearly something happening on the park, but other than that it was good. 

Agree. Coverage was good, compliments to Thistle. Slightly biased commentary but to be expected. Big difference on pixellot

9 minutes ago, weigh cider said:

I think the officials were under instructions to make sure you won today given the horrendous decision the SPFL made regarding your relegation.

Draw would have been a fairer result but encouraged by the way we stuck at it for the last 20 minutes against a latterly panicky Thistle defence

We’ll play much worse and win so heads up and on to the next challenge

Uuu5LWH.png

Tight game and I don't think anyone could argue with the result had it been a draw. No way of really knowing if the first Thistle goal was offside but I do think it was a penalty before the second one, but that doesn't change the fact that we defended poorly as Thistle hit us on the break from the penalty claim. For a long time I actually felt fairly confident that an equaliser would come from us and we had a fair few chances but wasn't to be. Maybe too strong to say we were robbed but you do feel the result was harsh on us and flattered Thistle. Thought Docherty and Spittal were the two star players for Thistle and I was actually quite impressed with a few our usually more average performers (namely MacDonald, Thomson and McKay) who I thought were our better players today. First decent chance to see Connell today after getting a few minutes off the bench last week and I thought he looked quite good (his long throw puts McKay's to shame). I think the first two games have gave everyone an idea of what to expect this season with Airdrie, Thistle and Falkirk all dropping points early on. Cove have two wins but they'll face tougher opponents as the season gets on. Clyde also technically have a 100% record but they've only played one game. I think it could be very tight at the top, much the same as last season with four or five teams all in with a chance of winning the league.

Hard to tell from a TV screen whether the 2 referee decisions were merited, but Kyle McDonald ought to have stopped what became a great shot by Spittal. We did have good possession in the first half and seemed to be getting plusses from both wings, even if it was from direct play rather than stylish football. Currie did save us from going behind but I think we deserved the opening goal from a good move and cross by Crighton. Had we gone in 1 up at half time it would have kept the edge. Thistle took a lot from that and we were well out of the game for that spell before they went 2 up. Taking Sabatini off to move McKay back into midfield tells me that Paul is undroppable and it was a mistake as it let Thistle dominate for a while. It was only long throws by Connell and humping into the box which dragged us back in. Their goalie did make a great save from Thomson and we might have got that equaliser but a killer touch is lacking. Interested to see Murray berating the Ref at the end so maybe a sense of injustice will help next week. It was typical of what L1 games will be and a sign of how tough it will be-the only team to take the lead and lose because we needed a 2nd.  Much better  TV stream so well done  Thistle.   At least my takeaway curry left no bad aftertastes as the result did.

1 hour ago, R&Y99 said:

Brian Graham being back for us was key for us today we really lacked something without him against Clyde.

He was an easy MOTM for me. In addition to his goal he was involved in most of the nice link up play we had going forwards, and then when Airdrie were putting on some pressure at the end he made numerous headed clearances from their corners.

He’ll be a massive player for us this season. Especially considering Rudden is a crock. 

Edited by Nightmare

Just now, Nightmare said:

He was an easy MOTM for me. In addition to his goal he was involved in most of the nice link up play we had going forwards, and then when Airdrie were putting on some pressure at the end he made numerous headed clearances from their corners.

He’ll be a massive player for us this season. Especially considering Rudden is a crock. 

I’m expecting Graham to be our top scorer, I said on the Clyde game thread I thought he would be in with a shout of top scorer in the league this season. Some disagreed but I’m sticking by what I said as I think he will have a big season with us.

2 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Uuu5LWH.png

You forgot to mention Jonnie Martin or does your selective memory not stretch that far back.

Maybe your grandfather mentioned him while you were bouncing on his knee.

jim carrey whistle GIF

Positives: Graham was excellent, the stream worked well (for me anyway), Shea Gordon touched the ball, Docherty was very good again, Spittal looked dangerous every time he had the ball, the ref missed about 10 niggley fouls from Airdrie players, Airdrie haven’t beat us in over 10 years.

Negatives: Murray was was very quiet again (although did get an assist), Breen looked shakey, Lyons was very wasteful with ball, Foster was brutal again, we struggled to create before our first and last goal, the ref never gave a stonewall penalty.

7 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

didn't get a freeze frame but I think the Airdrie right back was playing everyone on, he was certainly behind the rest of the line.

1 hour ago, South Lanarkshire Jag said:

2535BF2B-D523-42E2-8EFA-8EF3976CB4F9.thumb.jpeg.b4edc4717a766b10e79f7a5495bcb3d0.jpeg

Captain Holt Brooklyn Nine Nine GIF - CaptainHolt BrooklynNineNine Brooklyn99 GIFs

I think the first two things Lyons did were run straight into their right back both times- he was clearly very good at this level last year and he did have one good turn and run but he's a bit away from what I was hoping for so far- appreciate we're 2 league games in though.

44 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

Thought Lyons looked raw but his movement and work rate were good. Hopeful if he gets a new pair of boots and a bit more game time that he can be a useful option this season.

The boy works well to win the ball but needs to lift his head while driving forward