Partick Thistle vs Airdrieonians

Airdrie podcast special ahead of the game. Bit of a half and half number with sections on Airdrie, Thistle and then with Stephen Docherty representing us both (although we know where his allegiances really lie).

Thistle fans might want to skip the first 25 mins which is Airdrie up until now this season, you should enjoy the rest and big thanks to Life long Jag John Kane for coming on [emoji1303]

Zak Rudden to recover from his knee injury but to come down with a case of smallpox, previously thought to have been eridacted worldwide. 

Last week I mentioned the season we started away to Clyde in 2004 and lost - we played Airdrie at home the next week and won 3-2. Juan Ramon scored a brilliant diving header. Hopefully that's an omen. 

Changes I’d make to the side is Graham back, Williamson, Lyons and Spittal all in with Kouider-Aissa, Foster, Murray and Gordon out. We need to go for this game, I expect it to be a tight contest Airdrie are going to be tough opponents. Realistically if we are wanting promotion we need to be winning all our home games it’s crucial. 
No clue if Rudden is fit for this game but even if he is I’d start Graham.

31 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Sorry, but that's nonsense, even in a shortened season.

Not quite nonsense, it’s a perfectly valid opinion,  you do need to win a lot of games if you want promoted, and we (along with most clubs) will be rightfully expected to win our home games, or at least not lose home games. The last time we won promotion, we only lost once at home all season. Raith Rovers only lost once at home last season, and were promoted. Dundee United only lost once at home last season, and were promoted. It’s crucial not to be losing many games when battling for promotion, but especially crucial not to lose games at your own ground.’

23 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

Not quite nonsense, it’s a perfectly valid opinion,  you do need to win a lot of games if you want promoted, and we (along with most clubs) will be rightfully expected to win our home games, or at least not lose home games. The last time we won promotion, we only lost once at home all season. Raith Rovers only lost once at home last season, and were promoted. Dundee United only lost once at home last season, and were promoted. It’s crucial not to be losing many games when battling for promotion, but especially crucial not to lose games at your own ground.’

So, in summary, you don’t need to win all of your home games to win promotion.

6 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

So, in summary, you don’t need to win all of your home games to win promotion.

Well obviously not, but it’s not a nonsense comment it’s valid, as I said we’re expected to win most of our home games. I didn’t say we had to win all but at least not lose them, and then provided examples showing why I thought that. Also crucial as it’s a shortened season we don’t want to be dropping many points home or away. You need to be winning all games, but better still your home games to be successful, any manager in the world will tell you that. As I said last time we got promoted, we only lost once, crucially, because we lost a few on the road.

Edited by JagsCG

3 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

Well obviously not, but it’s not a nonsense comment it’s valid, as I said we’re expected to win most of our home games. I didn’t say we had to win all but at least not lose them, and then provided examples showing why I thought that. Also crucial as it’s a shortened season we don’t want to be dropping many points home or away.

You might want to double check that... 

1 minute ago, AndyDD said:

You might want to double check that... 

To be fair, I only said you had to win a lot of games to be promoted and we will be rightfully expected to win our home games. I didn’t actually say we had to win every single home game to actually get promoted, I was simply illustrating why you can’t lose too many. The original comment, not by me, did say “ALL”, if it’s that you’re referring too, fair enough. 
Still maintain it a valid point of view though. 

5 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

To be fair, I only said you had to win a lot of games to be promoted and we will be rightfully expected to win our home games. I didn’t actually say we had to win every single home game to actually get promoted, I was simply illustrating why you can’t lose too many. The original comment, not by me, did say “ALL”, if it’s that you’re referring too, fair enough. 
Still maintain it a valid point of view though. 

Aw  fair play that's my mistake, I didn't clock that it was someone else who made the initial post. Hands up. 

Given there is only 14 home games this season if we are wanting to win the title we really do need to be winning the large majority of these games. Me saying have to win them all was possibly a bit extreme and I by no mean think we will be coasting home games and winning them all, but we absolutely cannot be dropping regular points at home if we are serious about getting out of League One.

Edited by R&Y99

2 hours ago, R&Y99 said:

Given there is only 14 home games this season if we are wanting to win the title we really do need to be winning the large majority of these games. Me saying have to win them all was possibly a bit extreme and I by no mean think we will be coasting home games and winning them all, but we absolutely cannot be dropping regular points at home if we are serious about getting out of League One.

Nah that's a fair assessment. Airdrie had the best away form in the league last year, was our home form that let us down (5th best home form), so hopefully we carry that on into this season and give yous another bloody nose. The meltdown would certainly be hilarious...