The Injured Men -vs- The Honest Men

6 minutes ago, RiG said:

Ah yes that's correct. Was that for international viewers?

Yes it was.  The club also broadcasted a reserve match on YouTube using a regular camera from the gantry.

6 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Same with ourselves, folk were saying our last home game was 'perfect'

I'm not expecting perfect from our guys but I'd like it not to look like I'm watching hesgoals 

Happy clappers hold clubs back.  I don't think my expectations are too high - I'm not expecting it to be the standard of Sky Sports.  I don't need graphics, I don't need a commentator, I don't even need it in HD - but I do want something that's watchable.  I've paid over £200 for a season ticket - the coverage yesterday was a disgrace.

Just now, Highland Capital said:

Yes it was.  The club also broadcasted a reserve match on YouTube using a regular camera from the gantry.

As you've said before it's almost certainly penny pinching from the club. The SPFL setup will have gone in with minimal outlay for ICT. Having a couple of folk man cameras every other week will cost them a bit of cash and we've seen how reluctant the club are to spend money unless they have to.  

Just now, Highland Capital said:

I've paid over £200 for a season ticket - the coverage yesterday was a disgrace.

This was something I mentioned on a Zoom chat I was in yesterday. If, as it seems, we aren't getting back into grounds this season, season ticket holders will pay at least £80 more this season than "walk up" fans picking up the PPV option each home game. If these quality issues continue I would imagine a lot of ST holders will be wanting some of their money back.

3 minutes ago, RiG said:

As you've said before it's almost certainly penny pinching from the club. The SPFL setup will have gone in with minimal outlay for ICT. Having a couple of folk man cameras every other week will cost them a bit of cash and we've seen how reluctant the club are to spend money unless they have to.  

The club have a media team though, who I think are volunteers.  They had someone manning a camera for the highlights.  I don't think this is really too much to ask - no matter how skint the club is - Nairn County have managed it.

4 hours ago, itzdrk said:

Same with ourselves, folk were saying our last home game was 'perfect'

I'm not expecting perfect from our guys but I'd like it not to look like I'm watching hesgoals 

There's fans who would be happy with anything.  CTO is a dire read at the best of times but in the last few years it's become filled with morons, weirdos and sycophants. 

23 hours ago, itzdrk said:

As far as I am aware you need a fibre-optic broadband connection to run Pixellot.  If I presume two things based on that:

• I presume there aren't fibre-optic wires under/around the pitch covering the far side. 
  • I presume it was installed to the 'nearest point' rather than going all the way around. 

I can see why it is where it is, not sure how you would go about moving it, if possible at all. 

I would absolutely love it if a directive came out meaning the stand side assistant referee's had to wear a hat. 

I don't know anything about the ground around the stadium, but if putting cables under the ground isn't possible it really isn't very expensive to run a point to point radio link, particularly considering you could guarantee line of sight. For example, a Unifi Building to building bridge costs under £400 and would give you a link speed greater than 1Gbps - clearly far more than the fibre upload speed. That is assuming the camera does actually need to be close to the external networking point.

I think for yesterday, the main issue was software related due to it not being able to distinguish between a bald head and a football!

6 minutes ago, RiG said:

I'd imagine a repeat of that Pixellot show this coming weekend will see PPV numbers drop off a cliff.

I'm regretting buying a season ticket at this rate.  If we go the whole season with no fans and this system, it comes to about £14 per game.

16 minutes ago, RiG said:

Turns out the commentator is some 19 year old work experience type. Could really do with someone alongside him to help him out (at the very least) if not replace him altogether.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/archives/news/702335/bt-sport-young-presenter-of-the-year-finalists-revealed/

I wouldn't bin him just yet. He needs help though, it's a tough job and even tougher solo.  He clearly felt compelled to fill every silence and didn't have enough stats or facts and starting cycling back through them. An ex-player or the like could be a good option for you. 

36 minutes ago, rgreig said:

I don't know anything about the ground around the stadium, but if putting cables under the ground isn't possible it really isn't very expensive to run a point to point radio link, particularly considering you could guarantee line of sight. For example, a Unifi Building to building bridge costs under £400 and would give you a link speed greater than 1Gbps - clearly far more than the fibre upload speed. That is assuming the camera does actually need to be close to the external networking point.

I think for yesterday, the main issue was software related due to it not being able to distinguish between a bald head and a football!

In all honesty, ball identification apart, the broadcast was abysmal on all aspects and it needs a serious overhaul, with todays available technology it is shite of the highest order.

We've moved on from a string run between two empty syrup tins.

Surely placing the camera on the westside, therebye cutting out sunlight, could be obtained via wireless technology.

Remote systems operability is a fuckin fact of the life we live in.

25 years ago a technician in Alford Aberdeenshire was operating mud pumps on a barge in Myanmar from his kitchen table.

How is it we can't correctly broadcast a football game 25 years on?

Edited by SandyCromarty

Just now, Trogdor said:

I wouldn't bin him just yet. He needs help though, it's a tough job and even tougher solo.  He clearly felt compelled to fill every silence and didn't have enough stats or facts and starting cycling back through them. An ex-player or the like could be a good option for you. 

At the end of the day we are paying money for the broadcast and with that money we at least expect some professionalism.

56 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

I've just been reliably informed that the club do have the equipment and the cabling to do a proper manned broadcast.  They chose to go with Pixellot instead.

Well, at least you have a fallback. Surely after that debacle if enough of you guys voice your discontent they will switch to doing it themselves?

I probably wouldn't buy the stream for our next visit if its still that crappy AI with the camera pointing into the sun. Although we don't play you up there until May so hopefully we're allowed back in, I might even make a weekend of it!

I certainly won’t be paying £14 for a Pixellot stream when we go to Inverness. I can’t imagine I’d be the only one refusing to pay for it, either. Big call from Inverness to choose to make their only income stream a sub-standard service.

Edit: Or a tenner!

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

Well, at least you have a fallback. Surely after that debacle if enough of you guys voice your discontent they will switch to doing it themselves?

Will we use it though?  If it's the same next Saturday people will be irate.  Let's not forget, if you've paid for a season ticket you're paying roughly £14 per game - we deserve something that's at least watchable (I can do without a commentator).

You'd like to think that we'd have something sorted for the rest of the season but that'll take effort...and if anything takes effort (no matter what the benefits are) Caley Thistle won't do it.

Agreed. Having a summariser clearly helps. Lauren from that same Sun article has done a good job in that role so far on Ayr's coverage.

Yeah I agree. He’s still young and with a more experienced person alongside him he could actually learn something and get better at it.

He just needs to make sure he’s clued up with the home teams players. On Saturday it sounded like he knew more about Ayr players and our previous results than he did about ICT.

6 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Yeah I agree. He’s still young and with a more experienced person alongside him he could actually learn something and get better at it.

He just needs to make sure he’s clued up with the home teams players. On Saturday it sounded like he knew more about Ayr players and our previous results than he did about ICT.

Fair enough that he’s a young lad and it was his first attempt at it but it was ridiculously bad. It wasn’t until I watched the highlights on Sunday that I realised it was Todorov who hit the bar with a header in the first half because he kept saying it was Allardice with the “shot”. Yet he was able to tell us that Aston Villa were the first team that Ayr played against at Somerset Park in 1910 or whenever it was.

Fair enough that he’s a young lad and it was his first attempt at it but it was ridiculously bad. It wasn’t until I watched the highlights on Sunday that I realised it was Todorov who hit the bar with a header in the first half because he kept saying it was Allardice with the “shot”. Yet he was able to tell us that Aston Villa were the first team that Ayr played against at Somerset Park in 1910 or whenever it was.

Aye I was the same watching the Todorov chance back. It’s a difficult job to do especially when you’re made to do it on your own on your first time.

I’d rather see the guy get a helping hand rather than never get better and be eventually put off by it.