French teacher beheaded

ICTChris

People who peddle the line that religious groups were at the forefront of learning and discovery over the centuries ignore the fact that they controlled the centres of learning.  Of course they were at the forefront, no one else had the tools or resources.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

America's a bit unusual in the non Muslim or Jewish world I think, in that circumcision is the norm for most people. I got off with a Californian girl as a teenager who was fascinated by the complete penis, almost like a disgusting relic(I had washed). I don't consider male circumcision as anywhere like the same issue as female circumcision, but it's curious why they do it. Circumcised males seem to enjoy or fail in sex much the same as uncircumcised, so it doesn't seem a big deal to me.

This is just a prompt for me to relay the time the podcast Blocked Party got Bam Margera to shout out their pro-circumcision group "boys without hoods"

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

People who peddle the line that religious groups were at the forefront of learning and discovery over the centuries ignore the fact that they controlled the centres of learning.  Of course they were at the forefront, no one else had the tools or resources.

It's like soviet scientists all being members of the communist party, except with iron age fairy tales instead of ideology. 

Agree with every word.
Within an historical context religious and other superstitious beliefs were understandable.  Doesn’t mean they were right, and religion has always been used to subjugate people, however at a time people didn’t understand the scientific world it is easy to see why they would accept a supernatural explanation.
Religion is  far less understandable in a modern, educated society.  I find it incredible when otherwise educated and intelligent people still argue a position based on ‘belief’ rather than on logic and verifiable facts.
Someone mentioned earlier that Islam may become the dominant religion.  I find that worrying, particularly because of the unwillingness of Muslims to question their faith and because of the way that apostates are treated, even in the UK.

‘modern, educated society’ for me is again the key.

What you say is 100% correct, but that is why I reckon Islam will rise to the fore before it ALL disappears.

In the modern world we can see through the charade, but there are huge chunks of the world that have very poor access to education or worse, education is controlled by religion and it is quite astonishing (but understandable) what some of these people do not know that we take for granted.

Its going to be a long time before we are clear of religion.

Having a quick look online, to kind of qualify my thought (I would not consider this definitive of course), but if you look at the countries and their standing. The countries that are poorer and have a poor education system or their system is religiously controlled are at the bottom of the list whereas, developed societies are at the top.

http:// https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Importance_of_religion_by_country

On 18/10/2020 at 17:07, Ralstonite said:

I'm not familiar with Leviticus. I'll be honest, I haven't read most of the Old Testament and only do so to read prophecy (e.g. Daniel, Isaiah). Jesus' arrival signified God's new covenant with man, and therefore Christians are no longer obligated to follow the ceremonial laws and customs of the Old Testament. It's the same reason why Christians don't need to be circumcised, sacrifice animals, etc.

It's this sort of "religious selection" that puts the cherry on top of religion for me. It's clear you're able to select you're own moral code from the Bible and ignore the bits which are abhorrent to you, so why do you need the bible at all?

I actually find it laughable that folk claim to be Christians then say they don't follow the old bit. I thought the bible was the word of God that all men must live by? When you get to the pearly gates after snuffing it, will God accept that you didn't bother your arse with his old (original) rules and instead made your own moral code to live by?

Can't mind if I've written this already but anyway, I got into a conversation with an old couple last year who asked me about my kids' schools and I told them it was a pain in the arse trying to find a school without a religious body of some sort running them and I could tell immediately from their body language they were quite taken aback. The woman - who looked like a right fucking old bitch - informed me that religious schooling was essential for children as, verbatim, "They teach them thou shalt not kill, thou shalt not steal". Unbelievable. I always naively thought that it would've been a parents job to teach their kids that those were wrong assuming they weren't innately aware that stealing and killing is wrong anyway. 

With no hint of irony the guy went on to say that, "it's the greens and liberals infitrating universities and polluting the students impressionable minds". 

The wat woman sat prominently in my minds eye the entire time as I listened to them waffle on their shite. 

5 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

The woman - who looked like a right fucking old bitch - informed me that religious schooling was essential for children as, verbatim, "They teach them thou shalt not kill, thou shalt not steal".

SOP for American christians. I'm not making this up but many of them genuinely don't understand how atheists can possibly be good people because they don't have the bible to tell them how to behave. I've asked many of them "So the only reason you don't murder and steal is because the bible tells you not to? That's the only reason?" But I've still to receive a straight answer.

As for the "Thou shalt not kill", I've yet to meet a christian who didn't support the Bush/Blair invasion of Iraq. A large number of them now claim the commandment is really "Thou shalt not murder". As in, dropping bombs on innocent people is fine, executing prisoners even on sketchy evidence is fine, shooting black men who don't do what they're told is fine. Basically, it's OK to kill people if you've decided it is.

2 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

"So the only reason you don't murder and steal is because the bible tells you not to? That's the only reason?"

This was exactly my train of thought - is it only the thought of burning for eternity in the fiery pits of hell that keep them on the straight and narrow throughout their lives? Utter maniacs. 

One of the hookers that Reverend Bakker was busted picking up was responsible for one of my favourite ever quotes in a newspaper. He claimed that he’d picked her up to spread the gospel to her and the paper quoted her as saying “He picked me up for sex. I mean, I’m a prostitute. That’s what I do”

3 hours ago, Shotgun said:

SOP for American christians. I'm not making this up but many of them genuinely don't understand how atheists can possibly be good people because they don't have the bible to tell them how to behave. I've asked many of them "So the only reason you don't murder and steal is because the bible tells you not to? That's the only reason?" But I've still to receive a straight answer.

Ted Bundy was a church elder and regularly went to church when he wasn't busy doing other things.  Did that make him a good person?

Similarly if a doctor in India saves thousands of lives and cures lots of people but had a different upbringing then does make them a bad person?

5 hours ago, Shotgun said:

As for the "Thou shalt not kill", I've yet to meet a christian who didn't support the Bush/Blair invasion of Iraq. A large number of them now claim the commandment is really "Thou shalt not murder". As in, dropping bombs on innocent people is fine, executing prisoners even on sketchy evidence is fine, shooting black men who don't do what they're told is fine. Basically, it's OK to kill people if you've decided it is.

Using that logic means that as an atheist I should be able to kill and steal without hesitation or remorse.

I’m going to have to change my plans over the next wee while.

7 hours ago, The Moonster said:

It's this sort of "religious selection" that puts the cherry on top of religion for me. It's clear you're able to select you're own moral code from the Bible and ignore the bits which are abhorrent to you, so why do you need the bible at all?

I actually find it laughable that folk claim to be Christians then say they don't follow the old bit. I thought the bible was the word of God that all men must live by? When you get to the pearly gates after snuffing it, will God accept that you didn't bother your arse with his old (original) rules and instead made your own moral code to live by?

I think you're missing the point. Christ's sacrifice liberated us. He died for our sins. His sacrifice redeemed us and established a new covenant. One doesn't need to sacrifice animals, or practice circumcision. Mankind has been redeemed by Christs's blood.  

2 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

I think you're missing the point. Christ's sacrifice liberated us1He died for our sins2. His sacrifice redeemed us and established a new covenant. One doesn't need to sacrifice animals, or practice circumcision. Mankind has been redeemed by Christs's blood3.  

1 It took a 60's feminism movement to burn bras and yet women still aren't liberated.

2 He obviously never saw the next 2000 years coming.

3 Has it f**k.

12 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

I think you're missing the point. Christ's sacrifice liberated us. He died for our sins. His sacrifice redeemed us and established a new covenant. One doesn't need to sacrifice animals, or practice circumcision. Mankind has been redeemed by Christs's blood.  

You can't honestly believe this shite in this day and age?

I reckon you're at it.