French teacher beheaded

ICTChris

4 hours ago, AFCDannyFTH said:

If you need commandments from a book written by people who didn't know where the sun went at night in order to go through life and not be a c*nt, you're probably a massive c*nt. 

It is worse than that.  They claim their book is the word of God which would suggest he didn't know where the sun went either.

Maybe a more convincing holy book would have been one that accurately explained stars, planets and other astronomic bodies thousands of years before we learn these things for ourselves.

Maybe not for me but it would be a start.

Edited by Fullerene

9 hours ago, coprolite said:

Loving the amateur theology on this thread, absolutely barking. 

These cartoon of Mohammed (peace be upon him) are really not worth the arseache they've caused. Like most political cartoons they are unfunny shit. 

What i'd like to see is a proper cartoonist like Gary Larson or one of the viz team have a go. 

This is what proper satire looks like:

tumblr_nfrfiniJ881ra2jkzo1_640.jpg.32c81e31b4668f55215312629bd94707.jpg

Yes, to kill somebody over a Cartoon,is beyond reason, I can remember being slightly miffed , when  at age 7, i realised,Oor Willie,The Broon Twins,and Lord Snooty ,were the same person with a different haircut though.

Edited by Douglas Peel
Daftness

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

I’m sure Britain has seen a drop but some places are seeing a big rise in religious belief. The USA is not one of them.

That selection of countries is a bit skewed, Belarus, Spain and Russia had recent histories where your statement could affect your job prospects in the earlier figures. And possibly the latter in the cases of Russia and Belarus.

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

It is worse than that.  They claim their book is the word of God which would suggest he didn't know where the sun went either.

Maybe a more convincing holy book would have been one that accurately explained stars, planets and other astronomic bodies thousands of years before we learn these things for ourselves.

Maybe not for me but it would be a start.

That is a cracking point. Would love to see a religious person try to explain why there is no mention in holy scriptures of anything outwith our planet. 

8 minutes ago, AFCDannyFTH said:

That is a cracking point. Would love to see a religious person try to explain why there is no mention in holy scriptures of anything outwith our planet. 

What about the star the wise men followed to track down the baby Jesus? I think someone's identified it as a comet or something.

P.S. It was the Islamic world who did all the hard work on astronomical measurements, Copernicus and Galileo just added a smidgeon to freak out the Christian world.

Edited by welshbairn

10 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

What about the star the wise men followed to track down the baby Jesus? I think someone's identified it as a comet or something.

P.S. It was the Islamic world who did all the hard work on astronomical measurements, Copernicus and Galileo just added a smidgeon to freak out the Christian world.

Jupiter, Saturn and Mars in close proximity.  In other words not a star at all.  Oops.

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

As Neil Degrasse Tyson likes to point out, two thirds of all stars have Arabic names.  Mesopotamia was a centre for learning about everything.  Arabic numerals are what we still use today.  As well as Algebra.

Then some religious guy said stop doing all that and everything changed.

5 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Jupiter, Saturn and Mars in close proximity.  In other words not a star at all.  Oops.

So close that they appeared as one shiny thing in the firmament? Impressive. Incidentally my theory from watching documentaries on C5 is that Jesus went on a decade long gap year when he was about 18 and picked up some Eastern philosophy in India which he passed on to his disciples on his return. The wise men might have been part of that, integrating his thoughts into a narrative after he was long dead. 

25 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Arabic numerals are what we still use today. 

A little off topic but that reminds me of the furore we had over here a couple of years ago when conservatives learned that children were being taught Arabic numerals in school. "This is typical of the anti-American liberal agenda!" and "MY child will never learn Arabic numerals!" were just two examples I saw on my own Facebook page.

But hey, we can't call them stupid otherwise they'll vote for Trump and it will be our fault.

51 minutes ago, AFCDannyFTH said:

Or anything outside the middle east. Presumably the big guy was keeping an eye on everyone else alive at the time too. It's almost as if the bible was written by humans based on their own knowledge of history up to that point.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

All the stuff about not eating pork and prawns was probably about the lack of fridges at the time. And the habit of pigs to eat up anything early agriculturalists were trying to grow.

...and circumcision because water was too precious to waste on something as trivial as washing. Yet a huge percentage of male babies are still mutilated today, even in developed countries..

1 minute ago, Shotgun said:

...and circumcision because water was too precious to waste on something as trivial as washing. Yet a huge percentage of male babies are still mutilated today, even in developed countries..

America's a bit unusual in the non Muslim or Jewish world I think, in that circumcision is the norm for most people. I got off with a Californian girl as a teenager who was fascinated by the complete penis, almost like a disgusting relic(I had washed). I don't consider male circumcision as anywhere like the same issue as female circumcision, but it's curious why they do it. Circumcised males seem to enjoy or fail in sex much the same as uncircumcised, so it doesn't seem a big deal to me.

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

America's a bit unusual in the non Muslim or Jewish world I think, in that circumcision is the norm for most people. I got off with a Californian girl as a teenager who was fascinated by the complete penis, almost like a disgusting relic(I had washed). I don't consider male circumcision as anywhere like the same issue as female circumcision, but it's curious why they do it. Circumcised males seem to enjoy or fail in sex much the same as uncircumcised, so it doesn't seem a big deal to me.

Too much information. How did we get from beheading teachers to you getting a w**k?

28 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

All the stuff about not eating pork and prawns was probably about the lack of fridges at the time. And the habit of pigs to eat up anything early agriculturalists were trying to grow.

Yes.  Every bout of severe food poisoning was obviously a sign from above not to eat that stuff.  Surprised it was not a much longer list.