French teacher beheaded

ICTChris

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Always thought Fraser Crane was a bit dodgy.

3 years or so ago, Mrs Shotgun and I were listening to the podcast of Kelsey Grammar's appearance on Desert Island Discs. When he started talking about his support for Trump we both yelled "WHAAAAT?" Zero respect for the man now.

1 hour ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

I don't have any religion but for the most part I'm a pretty live and let live kind of guy. I do find a lot of the 'gotcha' or 'well by your logic' type stuff applied to religious people tedious in the extreme though.

I mean there was a post earlier in this thread making the point of 'why didn't God send his son to China which had a more developed civilization rather than the Middle East where things were more backward?'. Is this supposed to checkmate some devout Christian into disbelieving? You're talking to someone who believes an omnipotent deity operating outwith the bounds of time and space on a level completely beyond our ken controls the universe - they don't give a f**k that some p***k on a forum thinks they've found a flaw in the logic! 

It was a Christopher Hitchens quote wasn't it? A man whose brain was so thoroughly decimated by 9/11 that he would've cheered the glassing of the entire Muslim world.

“We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another.” - Jonathan Swift.

"Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump. I said, "Don't do it!" He said, "Nobody loves me." I said, "God loves you. Do you believe in God?"

He said, "Yes." I said, "Are you a Christian or a Jew?" He said, "A Christian." I said, "Me, too! Protestant or Catholic?" He said, "Protestant." I said, "Me, too! What franchise?" He said, "Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?" He said, "Northern Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?"

He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region." I said, "Me, too!"

Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912." I said, "Die, heretic!" And I pushed him over.

I have been reading my Bible, and it seems that ALL of the Old Testament laws can be dispensed with:

Galations 5:

It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.

[There follows two paragraphs about circumcision which includes: 'For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.']

13 You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh[a]; rather, serve one another humbly in love. 14 For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”[b] 15 If you bite and devour each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other.

16 So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever[c] you want. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

Source: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Galatians 5&version=NIV It would seem that the whole of the old law was abolished completely. The passages above maybe justifies the ascetic lifestyle practised by monks and nuns - vows of chastity and poverty. 

Is this the bit where Jesus comes out the shower and we realise everything before was just a dream?

I think all decent Muslims will understand that it is a reaction to the terrorists' actions, and will be more concerned that members of their faith have just massacred people in the name of Islam, rather than newspapers publishing some cartoons. I'm sure they too cherish freedom of speech and expression, you know. The assumption that the average Muslim is going to become a jihadist because of a cartoon is simply absurd.
Newspapers have a duty to report the news, and I'm sure many people would have been curious to see what it was that led to these incidents. By refusing to publish them, they're potentially emboldening terrorists whose objectives in this case were to censor art they considered offensive. I'm sure many Mormons found the Book of Mormon offensive, but many publications included adverts for the play. 

Quote possibly the most likely simplistic and ridiculous idea.

Lets help empower the idiots (on both sides).

America is full of people whose descendants fled to America to escape religious persecution.  They are religious because Grandpa was religious and he was religious because of his grandpa and so on and so on and so on.

Anyone who gets a bit annoyed about elbows on the table is much the same.  Why is it bad despite being comfy?  No idea, but his mum said so.  Who told her?  Her mum... and so on. 

4 hours ago, Ralstonite said:

I don't think a civilised society can ever mandate torture as punishment for a crime. I think even execution is probably wrong, unless there's no other option such as prison.

I am empathising with the condemned. I think it must be terribly depressing and frustrating to live the rest of one's life behind bars, with the scum of the earth for company. It must be very degrading being bossed about and handcuffed, as though you are dangerous, and having little choice what to eat. However I do think prisons are to punish, but to know you're going to live like that for the rest of your life must be terribly unpleasant. I think if I knew I would die a swift, painless death, I'd make my peace with the Big Man and go to the guillotine. 

US prisons with their rape culture and complete lack of dignity must be hell on earth.

Probably shouldn't commit horrific crimes then, particularly when they are aware of the potential consequences. 

There are people across Europe whose parents and grandparents are/were religious but who have shrugged it off.
That is what I expect progressive, rational , modern societies to do; shrug off Irrational superstitious nonsense.

Fully agree, but it is going to take a long time. As Fullerene mentions, its the indoctrination at a young age, especially when religion dominates education or education doesn’t exist and there is little access to alternative thought. Which unfortunately, still today, is huge swathes of the globe.

I would fully expect Islam to become the dominant religion in the world in the near future. Not because of any great dominance, just more and more of the modern world identifying with atheism or being agnostic.

Its part of a ‘full circle’ needed before we can start fighting and hating each other for other reasons.

Loving the amateur theology on this thread, absolutely barking. 

These cartoon of Mohammed (peace be upon him) are really not worth the arseache they've caused. Like most political cartoons they are unfunny shit. 

What i'd like to see is a proper cartoonist like Gary Larson or one of the viz team have a go. 

This is what proper satire looks like:

tumblr_nfrfiniJ881ra2jkzo1_640.jpg.32c81e31b4668f55215312629bd94707.jpg

If you need commandments from a book written by people who didn't know where the sun went at night in order to go through life and not be a c*nt, you're probably a massive c*nt. 

In the modern era of rapidly developing science, religion has been shown up to be nothing more than a manmade vehicle of population control, financial exploitation and excuse for war. 

4 hours ago, AFCDannyFTH said:

If you need commandments from a book written by people who didn't know where the sun went at night in order to go through life and not be a c*nt, you're probably a massive c*nt. 

In the modern era of rapidly developing science, religion has been shown up to be nothing more than a manmade vehicle of population control, financial exploitation and excuse for war. 

Agree with every word.

Within an historical context religious and other superstitious beliefs were understandable.  Doesn’t mean they were right, and religion has always been used to subjugate people, however at a time people didn’t understand the scientific world it is easy to see why they would accept a supernatural explanation.

Religion is  far less understandable in a modern, educated society.  I find it incredible when otherwise educated and intelligent people still argue a position based on ‘belief’ rather than on logic and verifiable facts.

Someone mentioned earlier that Islam may become the dominant religion.  I find that worrying, particularly because of the unwillingness of Muslims to question their faith and because of the way that apostates are treated, even in the UK.