French teacher beheaded

ICTChris

1 minute ago, badgerthewitness said:

Could Jesus's death be attributed to Pilate error?

I wonder if ol' Pontius sang 'Happy Birthday' twice while he washed his hands.

Anyway, what this comes down to is...

If you believe in a mythical being who wants you to hate people because of the way he made them, or people who worship him in a slightly different way to you, or to break HIS commandment and kill people simply because they don't take your beliefs seriously...if you believe all this and venerate him anyway, and then act upon those beliefs, then you're a c**t.

9 hours ago, throbber said:

This would never have happened in the U.K.

Lee Rigby,Glasgow airport bombers ,and many others im afraid..As of today, there has been 37,929 deadly terrorist attacks carried out by fanatics since 9/11 ,who believe the Archangel Gabriel ,appeared (after never been heard of for 700 years),and told an illiterate goatheard to climb ,on a Clydesdale type horse with pigeons wings,and fly to Mecca.

I have been watching a significant amount of coverage of the US Presidential election.  The number of times both main political parties invoke ‘god’ is really sad.

This is a modern western country with a highly educated population.  How can they still be so backward when it comes to religion?

1 hour ago, Ralstonite said:

I have been reading my Bible, and it seems that ALL of the Old Testament laws can be dispensed with:

It would seem that the whole of the old law was abolished completely. The passages above maybe justifies the ascetic lifestyle practised by monks and nuns - vows of chastity and poverty. 

I wouldn't take the word of that old charlatan, Saul the tax collector, who scribbled that down 30 years after Jesus joined his Father in Heaven. He'd turn in his grave if he was still in it. It wasn't till Saint Augustine of Hippo came along 300 years later that chastity was ever thought of as a good thing. As he himself said: "Grant me chastity and continence, but not yet.".

32 minutes ago, Douglas Peel said:

As of today, there has been 37,929 deadly terrorist attacks carried out by fanatics since 9/11

Some think the 34,628th could have been a case of mistaken identity, just so you know.

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Some think the 34,628th could have been a case of mistaken identity, just so you know.

Yes,that was  a failed experiment at a British firm, that invented a combined prayer mat / hand grenade,it was too expensive to produce,even though Prophets would have gone through the roof.

5 hours ago, Ralstonite said:

I don't think it's right to torture someone, regardless of what they have done.

What if they tortured someone?

5 hours ago, Ralstonite said:

With something like a flawless guillotine, I think it might be preferable to life imprisonment. 

For you or the condemned?

51 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I have been watching a significant amount of coverage of the US Presidential election.  The number of times both main political parties invoke ‘god’ is really sad.

This is a modern western country with a highly educated population.  How can they still be so backward when it comes to religion?

America is full of people whose descendants fled to America to escape religious persecution.  They are religious because Grandpa was religious and he was religious because of his grandpa and so on and so on and so on.

If you fled to America tomorrow because you believed in the Flying Spaghetti Monster then within no time at all they would have a law to ensure the right of your descendants to believe the same.

22 minutes ago, RawB93 said:

What if they tortured someone?

For you or the condemned?

I don't think a civilised society can ever mandate torture as punishment for a crime. I think even execution is probably wrong, unless there's no other option such as prison.

I am empathising with the condemned. I think it must be terribly depressing and frustrating to live the rest of one's life behind bars, with the scum of the earth for company. It must be very degrading being bossed about and handcuffed, as though you are dangerous, and having little choice what to eat. However I do think prisons are to punish, but to know you're going to live like that for the rest of your life must be terribly unpleasant. I think if I knew I would die a swift, painless death, I'd make my peace with the Big Man and go to the guillotine. 

US prisons with their rape culture and complete lack of dignity must be hell on earth.

1 hour ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

I don't have any religion but for the most part I'm a pretty live and let live kind of guy. I do find a lot of the 'gotcha' or 'well by your logic' type stuff applied to religious people tedious in the extreme though.

I mean there was a post earlier in this thread making the point of 'why didn't God send his son to China which had a more developed civilization rather than the Middle East where things were more backward?'. Is this supposed to checkmate some devout Christian into disbelieving? You're talking to someone who believes an omnipotent deity operating outwith the bounds of time and space on a level completely beyond our ken controls the universe - they don't give a f**k that some p***k on a forum thinks they've found a flaw in the logic! 

Like you I am not religious and I don't give a shit what anyone else believes if it does not impose on me at all.

I do object when they insist I believe in their nonsense too.  When they torment impressionable children with stories of woe if they don't believe in the same thing too.  When the laws of the lands are define according to superstitious bullshit.  When they claim a monopoly on morality and commit the most heinous crime against anyone with different beliefs.  When different strands of the same religion kill each other because they have no way of proving whose right and whose wrong.  When they oppose any science that conflicts with their ideas.   That's when it gets too much.

Edited by Fullerene

48 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

America is full of people whose descendants fled to America to escape religious persecution.  They are religious because Grandpa was religious and he was religious because of his grandpa and so on and so on and so on.

If you fled to America tomorrow because you believed in the Flying Spaghetti Monster then within no time at all they would have a law to ensure the right of your descendants to believe the same.

There are people across Europe whose parents and grandparents are/were religious but who have shrugged it off.

That is what I expect progressive, rational , modern societies to do; shrug off Irrational superstitious nonsense.

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

There are people across Europe whose parents and grandparents are/were religious but who have shrugged it off.

That is what I expect progressive, rational , modern societies to do; shrug off Irrational superstitious nonsense.

You are totally correct here but in my experience America is full of people who are slow to adapt.  "If it good enough for grandpa then it is good enough for me".  Not all of them but certainly some.  Some of them think fondly of the confederacy.