French teacher beheaded

ICTChris

1 hour ago, Shotgun said:

Chuckle. Good point but what I meant was, M. Guillotine's goal was to provide a more humane way of dispatching criminals than the other methods in use at the time. He didn't expect it to be used for the wholesale slaughter of people who in many cases, hadn't really done anything wrong.

That hasn't mattered in numerous executions by other means since.

9 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Tbf capital punishment is fairly central to the new testament.

And as sound as the Jesus character undoubtedly is the book of Revelations in the NT raises the bar on nuttiness.

Where is this book exactly?

20 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

I'm not familiar with Leviticus. I'll be honest, I haven't read most of the Old Testament and only do so to read prophecy (e.g. Daniel, Isaiah). Jesus' arrival signified God's new covenant with man, and therefore Christians are no longer obligated to follow the ceremonial laws and customs of the Old Testament. It's the same reason why Christians don't need to be circumcised, sacrifice animals, etc.

By your definition, most of the population of the world have 'much in common with the man who chopped the teacher's head off', as do most people who have ever lived. 

Jews and Muslims have far more in common with one another than either of them do with Christians. Interestingly I tried to have a civil conversation and debate with a Jew once and he told me he had far more respect for Muslims as Islam's a truly monotheistic faith, whereas Christians like me are polytheistic because of our belief in the Trinity.

But both Muslims and Jews adhere to ceremonial laws which is why both adhere to dietary laws (halal and kosher), get circumcised. Both have particular colours (green for Islam, blue for Judaism), and both pray a set number of times per day.

In many ways Islam can be seen to be a continuation of the customs and traditions of Judaism. 

You do know that Jesus was Jewish and a great student of the Old Testament, to which he frequently referred?

1 hour ago, Ralstonite said:

Is from the Old Testament, and the Jewish Torah. Unlike Judaism though, Christians believe in the teachings of Jesus who was merciful - indeed He had the humblest of origins, being born in a stable, had no home or possessions and was crucified for our sins. He spent His life healing the sick, He associated with those shunned (lepers) and despised (tax collectors) by society. He instructed us "to turn the other cheek" and to "go the extra mile". When a prostitute was to be stoned, He rescued the lady, instructing those without sin to cast the first stone.

Really and truly, Jesus' words should abrogate everything in the Old Testament. 

Mohammed on the other hand, had four wives, including a child bride (Aisha), was a slave master and trader and led an army which conquered cities and slaughter thousands. Which one did God really send?

The answer is neither.  See if you can work out why.

15 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

It’s a good named for a chocolate-
Allah Ak Bar.

A wee picture of Mohamed or whatever his name is on the front. 

One of the food vans on industrial estates selling rolls and sausage, egg, black pudding etc (no bacon) could be called Allah's Snackbar. 

33 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You do know that Jesus was Jewish and a great student of the Old Testament, to which he frequently referred?

He was Jewish indeed. He was their promised Messiah. Unfortunately - or perhaps not, as it is providential and in accordance with logos - He wasn't recognised as such. Indeed it was they who had him crucified.

Just now, Ralstonite said:

He was Jewish indeed. He was their promised Messiah. Unfortunately - or perhaps not, as it is providential and in accordance with logos - He wasn't recognised as such. Indeed it was they who had him crucified.

The new pope is probably next 

1 minute ago, Ralstonite said:

They didn't worry too much about painless deaths in those days.

2 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Some of the shit that the bible says people should be killed for is barmy (including eating prawns). For anyone to try and use the bible as a method of justifying capital punishment is just bewildering. 

Curious to know how you can have capital punishment without invoking the "thou shalt not kill" clause.

Also puzzled how that clause came after a previous clause saying this is precisely what to do to anyone who doesn't observe the Sabbath.

(I still recall a debate about Sunday Ferries to Stornoway.  A member of the Sabbath Day Observance Society declared "we can't have that.  Otherwise the islands will go the way of Inverness where the Gospel has marched out of town".)

38 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

The answer is neither.  See if you can work out why.

Regarding prophets being sent anywhere, I always liked this bit from Hitchens:

In order to be a Christian, you have to believe that for 98,000 years, our species suffered and died, most of its children dying in childbirth, most other people having a life expectancy of about 25 years, dying of their teeth. Famine, struggle, bitterness, war, suffering, misery, all of that for 98,000 years.

Heaven watches this with complete indifference. And then 2000 years ago, thinks 'That's enough of that. It's time to intervene,' and the best way to do this would be by condemning someone to a human sacrifice somewhere in the less literate parts of the Middle East. Don't lets appeal to the Chinese, for example, where people can read and study evidence and have a civilization. Let's go to the desert and have another revelation there. This is nonsense.

6 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

The Romans wrote the history, in particular Constantine who needed the Christian world onside. Much better to blame the Jews rather than Pontius Pilate. This scam has grown in popularity over the centuries by people needing someone else to blame.

I have been reading my Bible, and it seems that ALL of the Old Testament laws can be dispensed with:

Galations 5:

It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.

[There follows two paragraphs about circumcision which includes: 'For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.']

13 You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh[a]; rather, serve one another humbly in love. 14 For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”[b] 15 If you bite and devour each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other.

16 So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever[c] you want. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

It would seem that the whole of the old law was abolished completely. The passages above maybe justifies the ascetic lifestyle practised by monks and nuns - vows of chastity and poverty. 

3 hours ago, Detournement said:

The French used the guillotine very liberally in Algeria right up until they won independence.

The horrific violence used by France and the UK in their colonies post WW2 has pretty much been air brushed from history.

The Setif massacre in Algeria took place on VE Day.  The French could celebrate victory over the Nazis but if the Algerians thought they could have their freedom too then that was a different matter.

The French film "Outside the Law" includes this and is worth watching. 

29 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The Romans wrote the history, in particular Constantine who needed the Christian world onside. Much better to blame the Jews rather than Pontius Pilate. This scam has grown in popularity over the centuries by people needing someone else to blame.

Without wanting to go all MacGlashan, Pontious Pilate was Scottish.  From Fortingall, near Perth.

6 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Without wanting to go all MacGlashan, Pontious Pilate was Scottish.  From Fortingall, near Perth.

Sworn enemy of Saint Johnstone. they were actually brothers, albeit to different fathers.