Feeling like an adult

1 minute ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Totally agree with much that's written. I was in the supermarket couple of weeks back and a small child barged past me, the child's mother reprehended the child and told him to apologise to the man. I immediately looked around for the man she was referring to... emoji23.png

Was the child reprehensible?

I know you are!

43 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

An absolutely mental shout to say that not wanting kids is lazy, although I suspect it wasn't a serious post.

It's just as mental to say that having kids is selfish imo. My reasons for not having kids are more complicated but laziness definitely plays a part.

I've got a really puerile sense of humour and similar to above some kid made me laugh uncontrollably in the supermarket once because he kept trying to wind his mum up by shouting "ALAN ALAN ALAN"
from the dubbed gopher thing on bbc.
He noticed me laughing so I said it back.
His mum wasn't amused as if he'd now be doing it for ages.
Kept bumping into them as well.
Mummy mummy alan alan alan
Shut up, just shut up.
[emoji38]

43 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

My wife and I have decided we don’t want children.

If anyone does want them I can drop them off.

IIRC, you work with some of your kids.

If they're good workers, I could use some slaves.

Not having kids to save the planet is a bit of a weird idea. Plus [mention=27442]Stellaboz[/mention] you said you had 2 cats, which have a carbon footprint equivalent to a small car each & probably kill a hundred birds a year (research suggests they only bring home about 30% of what they actually kill). I know we all have to do our best and can't be perfect but it's a stretch to imply it's some act of nobility.
I have some colleagues at work who go down this eco warrior approach and it's fine and admirable to an extent, however when they're reciting their litany of hidden damage caused by having a ham sandwich or whatever I always have to resist the temptation of pointing out they'd save a huge amount of carbon emissions if they went and lay down in traffic.
Overpopulation's a bit of a red herring too. There's enough capacity to sustainably produce the calories globally to sustain the entire population at a level enjoyed by people in Lyon in the 1960s. It's just that we in the west tend to use too much of it. Latest research on climate change has ruled out the best and worst case scenarios anyway, so relax. You're only causing a net increase if you have more than 2 kids, because some kids die so even if you're having 2 it's not even a like for like replacement (I believe the tread-water number is ~2.1). If you have a kid it's not going to be the drop that broke the dam.
I don't wish to make great assumptions but if you hold this strong opinion and express it to your other half, are you 100% sure she's in agreement, or just nodding and smiling and perhaps in a corner of her mind wondering if it's a phase you'll maybe get past when the time comes?

My 2 cats are indoor cats so have never killed any birds. One would be a murderous machine if she was though! The other would be mates with them.
Actually she brought it up first without my encouragement and I'm much more prone to say how strongly I feel on here. I have close friends with kids (at most 2) and feel nothing but love for them. Except their father who thinks it's acceptable to drink Carling.
I'm going to have 18 kids just to spite some of folk in here. 

Let's have them together bbz x

18 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

As I've said, at this point in history having a shitload of them is IMO. 

Best thing for Scotland would be a population boom. Everyone should get shagging.

Guaranteed to make you feel like an adult.

Edited by Scary Bear

6 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Best thing for Scotland would be a population boom. Everyone should get shagging.

Guaranteed to make you feel like an adult.

On a completely unrelated topic, your avatar is exactly in line with the drum beat of me listening to "Boom Boom Boom" by the Vengaboys that just came onto my Spotify. 

So for that, I'm shagging you first. 

Just now, Stellaboz said:

On a completely unrelated topic, your avatar is exactly in line with the drum beat of me listening to "Boom Boom Boom" by the Vengaboys that just came onto my Spotify. 

So for that, I'm shagging you first. 

That’s baby-free shagging right there. Sustainable.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I saw something that made me think of this thread.  This is a trailer for a new Masters of the Universe cartoon, written by Kevin Smith, that's premiering on Netflix next month.

He Man was my favourite toy when I was a kid, I absolutely loved it.  I had all the figures, loads of accessories, watched it all the time.  I've often thought it was a really good show for boys, it was cool and has fighting and stuff but isn't too violent and also has very cool classic adventure themes and artwork while still being enjoyable for kids.  So when I saw this I thought it might be good as I could watch it with my wee boy, maybe in a few years as he's a little young now.  So I watched the trailer and it's clear that this is aimed at me at 40 not him at 4 - the part of the trailer that says "after 40 years" makes that pretty obvious.

This ties into other discussions about clinging onto things from when you are a kid and if that is healthy or if people should just enjoy what they enjoy.  It hardly hurts anyone if people who liked He Man when they were kids watch this now.  Is watching cartoons any less grown up than watching sport - probably not.  Something about it just doesn't sit right with me though.  The Telegraph blog take is that this is an indication of prema-baby millenials not wanting to grow up which isn't what I'm saying but I do think the melding of things that were for children into being things for adults has a cultural affect.  

I also wonder if the new He Man has PSAs like this in it.

9 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I saw something that made me think of this thread.  This is a trailer for a new Masters of the Universe cartoon, written by Kevin Smith, that's premiering on Netflix next month.

He Man was my favourite toy when I was a kid, I absolutely loved it.  I had all the figures, loads of accessories, watched it all the time.  I've often thought it was a really good show for boys, it was cool and has fighting and stuff but isn't too violent and also has very cool classic adventure themes and artwork while still being enjoyable for kids.  So when I saw this I thought it might be good as I could watch it with my wee boy, maybe in a few years as he's a little young now.  So I watched the trailer and it's clear that this is aimed at me at 40 not him at 4 - the part of the trailer that says "after 40 years" makes that pretty obvious.

This ties into other discussions about clinging onto things from when you are a kid and if that is healthy or if people should just enjoy what they enjoy.  It hardly hurts anyone if people who liked He Man when they were kids watch this now.  Is watching cartoons any less grown up than watching sport - probably not.  Something about it just doesn't sit right with me though.  The Telegraph blog take is that this is an indication of prema-baby millenials not wanting to grow up which isn't what I'm saying but I do think the melding of things that were for children into being things for adults has a cultural affect.  

I also wonder if the new He Man has PSAs like this in it.

image.thumb.png.13aa58a74968ebb9a2f6b3a6a538b2c0.png

Wise Words