Feeling like an adult

3 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

I understand that buying a property may be very difficult for some/many and others may move around a lot, however, it seems mad not to if you can.

If my options are

A) Pay say £1000 a month for 25 years and at age 65, never have to pay a penny on mortgage/rent again, sell house and downsize and have £100,000 in the bank.

B) Pay £1000 a month forever

It seems wild to suggest option A is not a zillion times better

If it was just that then you might have a point but saving a good enough deposit to buy a house in Edinburgh is a major stumbling block if you are caught up in renting already, after all the bills there’s not much left to save.

eta - There is also the fairly large stumbling block that I don’t think I could, for my wage, have got a mortgage that would actually be large enough to buy me anything, anything within the commuter belt is pretty pricy.

Edited by Jambomo

3 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

I understand that buying a property may be very difficult for some/many and others may move around a lot, however, it seems mad not to if you can.

If my options are

A) Pay say £1000 a month for 25 years and at age 65, never have to pay a penny on mortgage/rent again, sell house and downsize and have £100,000 in the bank.

B) Pay £1000 a month forever

It seems wild to suggest option A is not a zillion times better

That's assuming the interest rates won't start changing again as radically as they used to. We're at the the absolute minimum now, there's only one way they can go. Whether renting would be any safer than maxing out your mortgage is another matter. 

Edited by welshbairn

2 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

I'm obviously no expert here but it seems unlikely to me that absent real growth in the economy/wages the BOE will raise interest rates significantly at any point in the near future - the amount of precarious homeowners it would wipe out would surely be huge. 

Depends what happens to the pound after a no deal brexit, for example. Interest rates used to be much more volatile before we were part of a closely linked and vast economy.

There was a survey done recently that found one in three British people change their bedsheets three or fewer times a year. If you are beating that you are more of an adult than a third of this country.

54 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

There was a survey done recently that found one in three British people change their bedsheets three or fewer times a year. If you are beating that you are more of an adult than a third of this country.

I really do not want to belief that.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

That's assuming the interest rates won't start changing again as radically as they used to. We're at the the absolute minimum now, there's only one way they can go. Whether renting would be any safer than maxing out your mortgage is another matter. 

This is what utterly fucks me off, the bank of England rate is 0.1% yet mortgages just now are hovering round 3% but if the bank of England rate rises to 1% there is not a chance in hell the mortgage rate will rise to 30% at the end of the day you're either being ripped off by a bank or a landlord but at least the bank might give your something back.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

can sort of get leaving it off while its cooler but I reckon we* changed the bedding at least 3 times during the summer months alone this year. Even with a fan on there's the odd time where the sheets just end up fucking wringing with sweat, usually mine (kennethwilliams.jpg) and they pretty much have to get changed.

*me changing the pillow cases, her doing literally everything else for the sheets, quilt covers etc. My kind of teamwork!

I often feel like a terrible adult. I'm married, own my home, am a parent and have a "grown up job". 

Certainly compared with my parents I have failed insofar as I am pretty lazy with household chores and it's not uncommon for it go get to 7pm and I realise that there's no food in the house and I'll need to 1) buy something or 2) use Deliveroo. There is always food for the little one, but I often fail when it comes to our own meals which is just down to poor planning. 

I feel bad that I often simply cannot be arsed at all to do things. My parents weren't like this and so I certainly compare unfavourably with them in these stakes. 

Edit: despite the above, the bed sheets are changed regularly. That three times a year thing has absolutely disgusted me. 

Edited by Michael W

I drive, have a mortgage and I'm in a management position within one of the biggest companies in the UK. From the outside, you'd think I'd be nailing being an adult. Was sat at work today and ended up saying aloud "f**k, I'll be 27 next month" and that scares the absolute shite out of me.

16 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

I drive, have a mortgage and I'm in a management position within one of the biggest companies in the UK. From the outside, you'd think I'd be nailing being an adult. Was sat at work today and ended up saying aloud "f**k, I'll be 27 next month" and that scares the absolute shite out of me.

When i was 27 i'd just started graduate work properly, was renting a room in a shared house and spent all my money on cds, weed and going on the pish. 

I win. 

9 hours ago, 101 said:

This is what utterly fucks me off, the bank of England rate is 0.1% yet mortgages just now are hovering round 3% but if the bank of England rate rises to 1% there is not a chance in hell the mortgage rate will rise to 30% at the end of the day you're either being ripped off by a bank or a landlord but at least the bank might give your something back.

Mortgages just now vary but a prime lender will give you under 2% on an 80% LTV purchase (won't see many going lending more than that at the moment) and at lower LTVs just a quick look at MoneySavingExpert shows you some at around 1.3%. So aye the banks are making money but margins are a hell of a lot slimmer than they used to be and as welshbairn said those rates won't go any lower.

Since savings rates are basically non-existant I reckon a lot of people would be better overpaying on their mortgages just now than building up any sizeable sum in a savings account. 6 months worth of bills would be good to have in reserve if you can manage it and after that, unless you're saving up for something else you'd likely save a lot more in interest just taking chunks off your mortgage. Save thousands or potentially tens of thousands and move closer to the dream of being mortgage free. Plus, if the shit does hit the fan after Brexit I'd prefer to owe less money

Mortgages just now vary but a prime lender will give you under 2% on an 80% LTV purchase (won't see many going lending more than that at the moment) and at lower LTVs just a quick look at MoneySavingExpert shows you some at around 1.3%. So aye the banks are making money but margins are a hell of a lot slimmer than they used to be and as welshbairn said those rates won't go any lower.
Since savings rates are basically non-existant I reckon a lot of people would be better overpaying on their mortgages just now than building up any sizeable sum in a savings account. 6 months worth of bills would be good to have in reserve if you can manage it and after that, unless you're saving up for something else you'd likely save a lot more in interest just taking chunks off your mortgage. Save thousands or potentially tens of thousands and move closer to the dream of being mortgage free. Plus, if the shit does hit the fan after Brexit I'd prefer to owe less money
Pretty much my thinking. I've been lucky enough that my wages have remained pretty constant throughout the year so I managed to save a bit purely through not pissing so much up the wall. Chucked some money at my mortgage instead of keeping it in a savings account paying f**k all interest.

I'm in my 40s, still skate and the most important thing in my life is exercising  and music, can't see me acting my age anytime soon tbh.  Actually quite mental how much my girlfriend does for me, last week she put out a birthday card for me to write for my sister and I still cba doing it.heh.png

Edited by Boostin' Kev

11 hours ago, ICTChris said:

A lot of people smell bad. They don’t seem to know or mind that they smell bad. It’s not just bedsheets, it’s clothes too. It’s usually that general manky smell of damp clothes and food odour, rather than terrible BO.

If you’re reading this and it’s you, open up those wee trickle vent things at the top of your windows. Keep them open. Also, use those extract fans in kitchens and bathrooms.