Feeling like an adult

1 hour ago, Shandön Par said:

About to do my first and hopefully only ever Zoom meeting.

Lie and say you need to turn your video off because your net can’t support it properly. Then you can just f**k about and just occasionally unmute it and say something to pretend you are still listening.

On 18/10/2020 at 11:07, Jambomo said:

I think mortgages are interesting in yeah, objectively you are better off getting something for the money at the end of it.  

Yet it can be a bind (if you move around a lot, hassle and cost of selling or letting), dependency on housing markets not to lose out, they can be a cash drain in terms of cost of repairs, especially if there is a building issue. You don’t have any of these if you rent. Some people prefer the freedom of this, it’s all about personal preference really.

We are also looking at it through an old lens. Mortgages take a long-time to pay off and these days, jobs don’t pay as well (in inflationary terms) it’s likely that similar to renting, you don’t necessarily have much left over afterwards for savings or to do things.

I don’t really have a strong opinion either way, I rent because I couldn’t afford to buy when I was younger due to the rent/low paid job issues. Only this year have I got into a job that pays well enough to put money aside for a deposit but I thinks it’s probably too late now. That said my circumstances have both benefitted and decreased from renting over the years, I don’t really regret not being able to buy.

I understand that buying a property may be very difficult for some/many and others may move around a lot, however, it seems mad not to if you can.

If my options are

A) Pay say £1000 a month for 25 years and at age 65, never have to pay a penny on mortgage/rent again, sell house and downsize and have £100,000 in the bank.

B) Pay £1000 a month forever

It seems wild to suggest option A is not a zillion times better

There's no sensible reason not to own a property as opposed to renting if possible. We had a rare good luck story on the Edinburgh property market and could rent our flat for around 50% above our mortgage payment pcm which is ridiculous of course. 

33 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Lie and say you need to turn your video off because your net can’t support it properly. Then you can just f**k about and just occasionally unmute it and say something to pretend you are still listening.

It was pretty good. I was at work and solicitor was in his house. Think he can afford a better fleece tbh with what I pay him. 

3 hours ago, Shandön Par said:

About to do my first and hopefully only ever Zoom meeting.

^^^^ Figuring out how to get his shoes in the picture and mention that he ran three marathons and did 50,000 push-ups before breakfast.

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

^^^^ Figuring out how to get his shoes in the picture and mention that he ran three marathons and did 50,000 push-ups before breakfast.

I’ve been a lazy fat b for the last couple of months granny. All work and no play. 

6 hours ago, GiGi said:

My now-ex moved out a few months ago and it's been a sobering experience. While I was in charge of the money stuff, my ex definitely kept the house and, first world millenial problem though it may be, having to do everything in the house, every day has kind of fucked me up. Everything is now my job. Remembering birthdays is my job. Remembering to get the boiler serviced is my job. And speaking of jobs, I need to keep my actual job because I don't have anyone to help me if I end up unemployed. The feeling of responsibility has been like a physical weight and I find myself feeling stress like I never have and it makes me a feel a bit ill sometimes.

I'd take a look at the figures and get a cleaner to come in once per week if it's feasible, no fucks given to the outrage. The same goes for using a laundrette service. The amount of time that people waste trying to (badly/inefficiently) do household chores in their free time when a professional will get the job done no bother is insane when you actually break it down.

Edited by vikingTON

23 minutes ago, virginton said:

I'd take a look at the figures and get a cleaner to come in once per week if it's feasible, no fucks given to the outrage. The same goes for using a laundrette service. The amount of time that people waste trying to (badly/inefficiently) do household chores in their free time when a professional will get the job done no bother is insane when you actually break it down.

^^ Wealth Creator ^^`

Its true though. The money to time freed up ratio for a cleaner is an absolute no brainer.

Nobody thinks twice about paying people to clean their car or windows so what's different about polishing the surfaces 

1 minute ago, mathematics said:

If I could find a cleaner that actually cleans and doesn’t just dip my bank account for swanning about my house, then I’d be a little happier.

The cleaner probably gets put off by your morbid fascination with serial killers tbh.