The Ideal Outcome™

The Ideal Outcome  

128 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Can you imagine the uproar from the likes of Sky, The BBC, the Daily Record if the SG stepped in and tried to make the whole of Scottish football a more level playing field as per what @Ric is suggesting?

Oh, I totally agree. I have huge problems with the idea that sport should somehow be "regulated to be fair", because it stops being a competitive sport at that point. We all look at the MLS with it's no promotion/relegation and think what an aberration it is to have a 'closed shop'.

I think the problem is, allowing laissez faire has left us with a situation we are in now. Do we just accept that this is our lot and that the two big clubs will always be the two big clubs and even though the scales of finance are tipped even more in their favour (when it was before) that's just the way it is and always will be?

This sort of comment obviously opens up a debate of the OF going to the EPL (which won't happen, no matter the amount of chat surrounding it) or the idea of permanent division between domestic and European leagues rather than domestic leading to European qualification. Neither of those I personally find particular palatable, for differing reasons.

2 minutes ago, Ric said:

Oh, I totally agree. I have huge problems with the idea that sport should somehow be "regulated to be fair", because it stops being a competitive sport at that point. We all look at the MLS with it's no promotion/relegation and think what an aberration it is to have a 'closed shop'.

I think the problem is, allowing laissez faire has left us with a situation we are in now. Do we just accept that this is our lot and that the two big clubs will always be the two big clubs and even though the scales of finance are tipped even more in their favour (when it was before) that's just the way it is and always will be?

This sort of comment obviously opens up a debate of the OF going to the EPL (which won't happen, no matter the amount of chat surrounding it) or the idea of permanent division between domestic and European leagues rather than domestic leading to European qualification. Neither of those I personally find particular palatable, for differing reasons.

Pre-sky sports there was a more 'natural' inequality. The bigger teams with bigger crowds still had bigger budgets and thus had more success. 

TV money, globalisation and the mass market nature of football now means inequality is almost contrived so that countries put their best commercial foot forward'.

Scottish football isn't run to be the best it can be for Scottish football fans, it's designed to compete in a global market as best it can. That means pushing your USP that will appeal most to those with only a passing interest. The two Glasgow freakshows fit that bill because frankly on football alone Scotland is never going to be globally appealing.

It means in truth, they really don't want Aberdeen, Hibs, or whoever else taking the Champions League spot. And even more depressingly, plenty of Scottish clubs will be quietly happy to let the OF compete in Europe ad infinitum and bring in more revenue on their behalf.

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

Pre-sky sports there was a more 'natural' inequality. The bigger teams with bigger crowds still had bigger budgets and thus had more success.

I certainly agree, and I alluded to that in one of my previous posts.

TV money, globalisation and the mass market nature of football now means inequality is almost contrived so that countries put their best commercial foot forward'.

Again, it's hard to disagree. This isn't a particular problem to Scotland, although we do have a very specific problem in this country.

It means in truth, they really don't want Aberdeen, Hibs, or whoever else taking the Champions League spot. And even more depressingly, plenty of Scottish clubs will be quietly happy to let the OF compete in Europe ad infinitum and bring in more revenue on their behalf.

The revenue issue is obviously a key issue. When Rangers were papped down a league or two, I had hoped that might allow other teams to take advantage to level the playing field a little but it just didn't.

I said before that I don't blame the OF, they are purely using an advantage that has been handed to them but the starting point of advantage they had meant the gap between them and everyone else has increased to a point I genuinely feel it's unlikely to be closed. That's not saying they won't lose games to the "provincial clubs", they obviously won't do so to the extent that others can challenge their combined grasp.

21 hours ago, Ric said:

I agree with both of those.

In general I am loathe for the authorities to get involved in a sporting issue (..especially if it could stop Hearts being relegated! ;)) but the simple fact is the current system simply isn't providing the level of competition that you would "hope" for. Hope is, of course, a very subjective term. I get that you'll always have a set of big clubs hogging the title but 35 years of just two is ridiculous and, without checking, I am guessing not reflective of any other professional league in Europe.

I've posted this before, but I agree with the idea of greater revenue sharing between clubs. I don't think it's a good thing that teams like Aberdeen, Hibs or Hearts can't put together a title challenge. It's not good in the long term for anyone, OF included, because it makes the league less exciting and attractive for players. Personally, I'd love to live in a world where a draw at Easter Road isn't treated like a season-derailing disaster, and the majority of the games against the smaller teams aren't just a boring procession.

The problem is that you'd have limited impact from doing this through rebalancing the TV contract because it's such a small percentage of Rangers or Celtic's income. What you'd need to is centralise more contracts through the SPFL, such as merchandising. Or have an MLS-style rule where a percentage of each transfer goes to the league.

19 minutes ago, Ric said:

Again, it's hard to disagree. This isn't a particular problem to Scotland, although we do have a very specific problem in this country.

This is the problem for me.

This is football now.

Every country has its own unique USP but everyone is competing in a global sense. Fans of clubs that aren't international 'brands' are simply left behind.

Celtic to bottle it in the last day needing only a draw against the team in 6th.  They batter the team let’s say Kilmarnock for 90 mins in front of a packed and vocal crowd.  Then Kille run up the pitch and get the most ridiculous softest penalty in football history.   Something like Broadfoot kicking his own face in the box.

So Rangers win the league as they spent stupid money in January.  They go into Admin and go bust.  They expect to be voted back in. A few seasons down below being worth it to stop the 10.  They aren’t.

Fin.

On 18/10/2020 at 02:31, kingjoey said:

I like this, but you have made one ridiculous statement within it. If everything that you say came to pass, there is no way that Neil Lennon would still be Celtic manager on the last day of the season. Other than that, bring it on.

I also like it I am just surprised he wasn't gloating about Thistle being relegated (yet again) or is that just too likely to be included?

• 1 month later...

Nope. In an ideal world Covid will cause the season to be finished early, but this time it will be declared null and void.

As the first rumblings of a Timplosion from Glasgow’s East End begin to sound, would anybody like to join me on the dark side of being okay if the h*ns actually manage this?

I would take zero joy in Sevco winning the title, will always detest them even more than I detest Celtic. But after watching Celtic win 9 consecutive league titles and 11 consecutive domestic trophies on the bounce... maybe I'll be able to take a little joy in their potential failure this season.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

4 hours ago, HibsFan said:

As the first rumblings of a Timplosion from Glasgow’s East End begin to sound, would anybody like to join me on the dark side of being okay if the h*ns actually manage this?

The idea of seeing Scott Brown and Neil Lennon swagger-rage their way around the Celtic Park pitch after officially "losing the 10", names now written in infamy, is a great one.

Couldn't happen to two nicer blokes.

Downside would be the fucking swathes of **** who suddenly burst onto this site like a swarm of cockroaches, trying to goad everyone in telling them how great Rangers are.

Matchday 32 is Celtic v Rangers at Parkhead. It is not entirely inconceivable that Rangers could have a chance to win it that day.

We're more or less guaranteed patter now anyway, either Celtic have a total meltdown at the small-time attitude that costs them the 10, or Rangers manage to somehow chuck away an 11 point lead.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Downside would be the fucking swathes of **** who suddenly burst onto this site like a swarm of cockroaches, trying to goad everyone in telling them how great Rangers are.

Think that particular ship has already sailed and arrived at the P+B port.

The idea of seeing Scott Brown and Neil Lennon swagger-rage their way around the Celtic Park pitch after officially "losing the 10", names now written in infamy, is a great one.
Couldn't happen to two nicer blokes.
Have you met them personally?