Aberdeen v Hamilton - Tuesday

41 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

I thought he was really coming on to a game last season before it ended prematurely. This season he's been an absolute honking jobby. Daft double sub to make, and completely disrupted the team.

In other news I thought McLennan did some good, strong running when he came on. Needs to get back to being more productive like he was a couple of seasons ago, but encouraging.

Ojo - I think he's one of these guys that would settle down fine given a run of games, but there's no way he's getting that given our other midfield options, and I'm surprised he wasn't cut loose in the window.  I do think the malaise in the side started before he came on, but McGeouch had been playing well and was a strange one to take off.  He was actually okay when the team woke up again once it went 4-2.

McLennan - agree he showed some great stuff on Saturday first half and today at times - but as a wing back, just don't think he's as reliable defensively, and we could be exposed in the Celtic games if he is the one likely to replace Hayes.

Edited by tarapoa

I think McInnes might have had an eye on Sunday when he took McGeouch off. He hasn't had many minutes recently, so it might have been a case of getting the best part of an hour in his legs tonight to get him up to speed for starting against Celtic. 

I'd be gutted if Hayes is out for Sunday. I'm a McLennan fan, but I'd have reservations about that. Kennedy would maybe be the best option to replace him at wing-back (or Hedges with Kennedy on the right), but throwing him in from the start against Celtic after a fairly lengthy absence might not be the wisest move. 

Although we won, it doesn't feel that way due to the performance that followed after we went 4-0 up.

Thought McGeouch played very well.... once again. Don't understand the criticism he receives. 

Ojo was absolutely abysmal. He genuinely looks like an amateur footballer. He is incredibly slow both in pace and reactions when on the ball. He looked incapable and undeserving of playing for Hamilton. He needs to go.

Watkins was outstanding. Very good both on the ball and in his link up play. Worked so hard to close down and win the ball.

Wright is a frustrating player. He has moments of brilliance but its too and far between. He often goes missing as the game goes on.

I thought McInnes should have hooked Considine and Wright on the 70th minute mark for Leigh and McGinn. Both were looking tired.

There is the slightest possibility that we will go back to a back four on Sunday with Logan and Leigh, and Hoban and Considine between them. Disappointed tonight that we didn’t give Hamilton a real tanking, but credit to them for continuing to go forward. Scoring their first right after our fourth gave them hope and they really should have scored a second right on half time but for great defending by Hoban and then Considine. But we’re into third and three points behind Celtic after 10 games. The doom-mongers will be out in force before Sunday. “If Hamilton can score two against us, how many are Celtic going to rack up?”, etc, etc.

1 hour ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Hibs fans optionally doing this to themselves shows they are all crayon eaters.

Hi Scotty, hiya, still triggered I see.

Is this the year Hamilton finally get punted??

cockroach GIF

Not content with giving teams a 3 goal start, The Pudding, decides it would be better if we gave them a 4 goal start.

The Pudding, after the game says that Easton , who was on bench for the game, is no where fit enough to play. Why have him on the bloody bench then.

Absolutely clueless

What is the record for the highest number of goals conceded in a season ??

I've no idea why we signed Ojo. Can't pass, every second touch is a tackle/foul, and he disrupts the side every time we bring him on.
He's definitely Hibs class, I'm gutted we didn't let him go there. 

"He's definitely Hibs class,"

I couldn't bold it, but that is tremendous. Well done.

8 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I've no idea why we signed Ojo. Can't pass, every second touch is a tackle/foul, and he disrupts the side every time we bring him on.

He's definitely Hibs class, I'm gutted we didn't let him go there. 

I had a good laugh after reading that. Its funny because its true!

11 hours ago, betting competition said:

I thought the Dundee United 2nd half was bad but this is a lot worse. 

11 hours ago, kent_don said:

This will be Derek testing his formation for Sunday.

11 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Chalk and cheese between those halves of football. Set up the way we did in the second half on Sunday (which I expect we will) and we could be in for a world of pain.

Credit to Accies for the second half performance. Were unlucky not to go in at half time with two goals.

10 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Only Aberdeen could be 4 up after 30 mins and an hour later we end up saying, well that was fucking gash. 

We seem incapable of putting in a 90 minute performance, and I suspect we're nowhere near as good as the players seem to think they are. 

Celtic will ride us stupid on Sunday. Get that mentality sorted out Deek. 

Slight overreaction, lads.

It was an outstanding 45 minutes followed by a relatively shaky 45 minutes when the game was basically won. My biggest criticism in the 2nd half is that when we went through our shakiest period at 4-2 (as can happen) we weren't a bit more mature and just got our foot on the ball to take the sting out of the game. Mclennan, Wright, Hedges etc just wanted to rush the ball forward and it kept coming back at us. That and the stupid fouls we were giving away.

Also if you want to look at how we'll play Celtic, I'd suggest the Sporting Lisbon game is a better gauge than 45 minutes when 4-2 up against Hamilton. We switched off a bit, it won't have any impact on Sunday.

Focusing on the positives, that first half, 25 minutes specifically, was up there with some of the best stuff I've ever seen from us. Assisted by a generous defence but the purpose of our possession, the one touch passing, the overlaps etc was absolutely brilliant. Superb stuff.

Let's hope Hayes recovers but doesn't look great. Still looking forward to Sunday. 

ETA - there's no overreaction about Ojo. He is not good enough for this team.

Edited by Dons_1988

18 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Slight overreaction, lads.

It was an outstanding 45 minutes followed by a relatively shaky 45 minutes when the game was basically won. My biggest criticism in the 2nd half is that when we went through our shakiest period at 4-2 (as can happen) we weren't a bit more mature and just got our foot on the ball to take the sting out of the game. Mclennan, Wright, Hedges etc just wanted to rush the ball forward and it kept coming back at us. That and the stupid fouls we were giving away.

Also if you want to look at how we'll play Celtic, I'd suggest the Sporting Lisbon game is a better gauge than 45 minutes when 4-2 up against Hamilton. We switched off a bit, it won't have any impact on Sunday.

Focusing on the positives, that first half, 25 minutes specifically, was up there with some of the best stuff I've ever seen from us. Assisted by a generous defence but the purpose of our possession, the one touch passing, the overlaps etc was absolutely brilliant. Superb stuff.

Let's hope Hayes recovers but doesn't look great. Still looking forward to Sunday. 

I thought we played better against Dundee Utd but didn't get the breaks in that game. I didn't think we started that well against Hamilton but once we got the goal we had a great 20 minutes spell where we could have scored quite a few more. I wonder if Hayes injury changed the game or the players thought the job was done and stopped playing. All that matters is the win and move on but there is plenty of positives to take into the Celtic game. 

The team looks really good this season and has played some great stuff. Regardless of the result on Sunday to have 22 points is excellent points total in the first round of games. 

Edited by betting competition

3 minutes ago, betting competition said:

I think we played better against Dundee Utd but didn't get the breaks in that game. I didn't think we started that well against Hamilton but once we got the goal we had a great 20 minutes spell where we could have scored quite a few more. I wonder if Hayes injury changed the game or the players thought the job was done and stopped playing.

The team looks really good this season and has played some great stuff. Regardless of the result on Sunday to have 22 points is excellent points total in the first round of games. 

There's an argument to say we were better against United, certainly. But we weren't 4-0 up after half an hour at Tannadice.

We're not the first or last team in history to take our eye off the ball a bit when taking such a commanding lead. Let's also not forget Hamilton were very bold in the way they kept coming at us, not what you'd expect.

As I say, I'd like us to have a bit more maturity about us when things get a little bit shaky but these are experiences we can build on.

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

we went through our shakiest period at 4-2 (as can happen)

I actually thought once it went 4-2, the team seemed to waken up again and saw out the match fairly easily from that point, when we were fearing 20 mins of sheer panic.

Maybe Accies ran out of steam a bit too.

Ojo seems to be the chief scapegoat for the drop-off on social media - but all of Accies chances, other than the penalty, happened before he came on the park.

Edited by tarapoa

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

Ojo seems to be the chief scapegoat for the drop-off on social media - but all of Accies chances, other than the penalty, happened before he came on the park.

True dat. But Ojo is an easy target, mainly because he's shite. 

He's particularly annoying, because he obviously feels he's much better than he actually is. He wants everything to go through him, but his passing is either awful or sideways. 

On top of that, he continually gives away ridiculous fouls. 

There hasn't been a game this season where he's actually added something, or picked the side up, or helped control a game. He's continually a disruptive presence.....to us, not the opposition.

Bin him. 

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

True dat. But Ojo is an easy target, mainly because he's shite. 

He's particularly annoying, because he obviously feels he's much better than he actually is. He wants everything to go through him, but his passing is either awful or sideways. 

On top of that, he continually gives away ridiculous fouls. 

I quite liked him for the wee spell last season when he got a run of games.  Mainly because he was a midfielder that would put his foot on the ball and pick out a pass, in a team that seemed to prefer hoofing it forward more often that not.

Problem for him now is the McCrorie offers so much more that that - McGeouch offers similar, but is better - and Campbell is also as good, if not a better option.

This means on the rare occasions he does get a game, he is off the pace, or trying too hard to impress - and you have that vicious circle of certain fans that always want some kind of scapegoat then having a convenient target.

I think he is better off elsewhere, as he'll do a decent enough job for someone.

Edited by tarapoa

9 hours ago, tarapoa said:

I actually thought once it went 4-2, the team seemed to waken up again and saw out the match fairly easily from that point, when we were fearing 20 mins of panic.

This is exactly what happened. It was like the team settled down after the subs took a while to find their feet and a way to play together. In control for the rest of the game and never in any danger.