Arbroath FC vs Heart Of Midlothian

Thought we were fantastic last night, Setup the right way and defended superbly and Gaston didn’t really have a lot to do, Always looked dangerous in attack and overall had the better chances and if it wasn’t for Gordon we could have 1 or 2 up at half time, Fair play to Hearts though for grinding out the win as it’s these kind of results that make champions. We definitely deserved at least a draw though imo, If anyone to score against us then I was happy for Wighton as he was fantastic for us and gave us great memories and was just unfortunate his time came to the end when it did, Showed his class too by not over celebrating as he obviously still has great respect for us and throughly loved his time here 🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

Edited by 36-0 Maroon

Great team effort and unfortunate not to take a point from the game. 

Ricky Little was man of the match for me. If we can take the form showed last night forward should do well again this season. Some good possession and passing moves down both flanks and good defending against some clever Hearts forwards. 

Some nonsense talked by the commentators, at least Caldwell and Daly gave due credit to us.

I think there's a bit of patronising of how good Arbroath were going on.  They had the best chances of the first half certainly, although Halliday passing the ball to an unmarked player in the box isn't particularly good play.  The Gordon save from Doolan was good although one you'd expect a class goalie to make.

Hearts clearly the better side after halftime and the goal looked like it was coming with the chances we were making. Arbroath could have snatched a draw late on and it wouldn't have been a travesty , but really they were on the back foot the entire 2nd half till injury time.

They made it tough for us, we made it worse and we'll take the 3 points and better improve massively for next week

14 hours ago, farflung lichtie said:

Thought Arbroath, with the makeshift defence, had the right approach and the players kept busy, with the occasional creative touches. Disappointed we didn’t score from the decent chances we had.. A tad more composure needed

Just one thing - what was the Hearts manager going on about the Lichties great home record? I’d check if I could be arsed but sense it’s motivational hyperbole seeking to moderate inevitable complacency among his team. Our record was surely no better than average last season, if that.

Difficult to imagine a better ventilated outdoor gathering than Gayfield with its natural air conditioning so a real shame at least some fans couldn’t attend.

Our home record wasn't the greatest in league 1 when we first came up. 

It's a myth the whole Gayfield is an advantage because of the small pitch and wind.

Tynecastle is 5 yards shorter and only 1 yard wider for comparision on pitch size. 

Edited by Robertolichtie

9 hours ago, Douglas Peel said:

Questions: Between Arbroath and Hearts,which side was the first to wear Maroon? Keith FC in the highland league wear it too,What are the others in the Uk leagues? I dont have the answers,just curious.

We wore Maroon in 1877. Apparently the story is we had red, white and blue hoops and the colours ran in the washing and we just stuck with it.

12 hours ago, Douglas Peel said:

Questions: Between Arbroath and Hearts,which side was the first to wear Maroon? Keith FC in the highland league wear it too,What are the others in the Uk leagues? I dont have the answers,just curious.

Hearts

image.png.3d9d7d05495ddfa2d4d776c4f97e45a1.png

Arbroath

image.png.46d0454e1cffe7cd23461b41255a7384.png

Stenhousemuir

image.png.2f11ad6c167d9d88eb86817283030b9e.png

We wore Maroon in 1877. Apparently the story is we had red, white and blue hoops and the colours ran in the washing and we just stuck with it.

Club historians reckon that the 1876 Red White and blue hoops were probably surplus acquired from Edinburgh University.

The Maroon appears to be the result of an early merger with another Edinburgh club called St Andrews. Hearts’ name and St Andrew’s colours were preserved

So the answer to “who wore Maroon first?” is most probably “Saint Andrews”

If it wasn’t for Rangers having spoiled the colour scheme and Celtic having spoiled the pattern I’d quite like red, white and blue hoops as an away kit. There’s a certain Gallic flair to it

The relevant bit of “Story of the Hearts” is here

https://londonhearts.com/images/mack02/pages/p026.htm

16 hours ago, Robertolichtie said:

Our home record wasn't the greatest in league 1 when we first came up. 

It's a myth the whole Gayfield is an advantage because of the small pitch and wind.

Tynecastle is 5 yards shorter and only 1 yard wider for comparision on pitch size. 

I have thought for a while, not just with the current manager, that we are better away from home

On 24/10/2020 at 13:16, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

I think there's a bit of patronising of how good Arbroath were going on.  They had the best chances of the first half certainly, although Halliday passing the ball to an unmarked player in the box isn't particularly good play.  The Gordon save from Doolan was good although one you'd expect a class goalie to make.

Hearts clearly the better side after halftime and the goal looked like it was coming with the chances we were making. Arbroath could have snatched a draw late on and it wouldn't have been a travesty , but really they were on the back foot the entire 2nd half till injury time.

They made it tough for us, we made it worse and we'll take the 3 points and better improve massively for next week

So one of the would be "big boys" of Scottish football get relegated to the second tier . They demolish a full time team, like themselves, who many would consider to be their biggest rivals for the title, then come up against a team of part time players. Players whose main source of income is not football. Players who have to fit in football around their jobs. Players who travel the breadth of the country to their home games and who have to take time off their job to play in mid-week or re-arranged games. Players who only get together a couple of times a week to train together.

And yet the "big boys" struggled to beat these part timers.

Maybe time for a reality check Amusing Pseudonym, for you and for your team. Patronising? Really? How about giving a bit of credit where credit is due? And yes, Hearts had better improve massively for next week and the weeks after that if they want to prove to be worthy Championship winners.

6 hours ago, SotesBornalichtie said:
So one of the would be "big boys" of Scottish football get relegated to the second tier . They demolish a full time team, like themselves, who many would consider to be their biggest rivals for the title, then come up against a team of part time players. Players whose main source of income is not football. Players who have to fit in football around their jobs. Players who travel the breadth of the country to their home games and who have to take time off their job to play in mid-week or re-arranged games. Players who only get together a couple of times a week to train together.
Maybe time for a reality check Amusing Pseudonym, for you and for your team. Patronising? Really? How about giving a bit of credit where credit is due? And yes, Hearts had better improve massively for next week and the weeks after that if they want to prove to be worthy Championship winners.

There’s a weird double standard when it comes to being Patronising in these situations

before the game saying that “Arbroath will have done well if they keep the margin of defeat fairly narrow” would certainly be seen as patronising but after the game saying “Arbroath did well in keeping the margin of defeat fairly narrow” is perfectly reasonable.

Some people don’t get that nuance

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

8 hours ago, SotesBornalichtie said:

Look if you want patted on the head for effort, fair enough.  Arbroath worked very hard and gave us a tough game, helped by some appalling play from us.  They certainly weren't fantastic or some of the other words used to describe them.  That's all I'm saying.

A decent performance and whilst Hearts probably deserved to win the game, I'm still a wee bit disappointed we didn't come away with a point. Just makes the Raith game all the more bizarre considering how solid the defence looked compared to a week ago in Kirkcaldy.

Ruth looks decent ; McKenna was fine as well and I think Miko will hopefully have another stonker of a season. Luke did good when he came on, and if he just squared a little earlier it may well have been 1-1. I prefer him coming off the bench and adding something to the game or chasing up lost balls etc when holding on to a tight lead rather than him starting the game and leading the line.

If anyone had to score against Arbroath, I was happy (well, not the right word ; but content even) it was Wighton. A top lad, and did very well at the club and obviously has a place in his heart for the Lichties going by his manner and lack of celebration , so well done Craig and good luck for the season.

A lot to be happy about it, even if -4 and 0 pts after two games ; but next week is huge, and TBH, I'd take a point right now up at ICT.

14 minutes ago, Kejan said:

A decent performance and whilst Hearts probably deserved to win the game, I'm still a wee bit disappointed we didn't come away with a point. Just makes the Raith game all the more bizarre considering how solid the defence looked compared to a week ago in Kirkcaldy.

Ruth looks decent ; McKenna was fine as well and I think Miko will hopefully have another stonker of a season. Luke did good when he came on, and if he just squared a little earlier it may well have been 1-1. I prefer him coming off the bench and adding something to the game or chasing up lost balls etc when holding on to a tight lead rather than him starting the game and leading the line.

If anyone had to score against Arbroath, I was happy (well, not the right word ; but content even) it was Wighton. A top lad, and did very well at the club and obviously has a place in his heart for the Lichties going by his manner and lack of celebration , so well done Craig and good luck for the season.

A lot to be happy about it, even if -4 and 0 pts after two games ; but next week is huge, and TBH, I'd take a point right now up at ICT.

Hearts forward Craig Wighton: How Arbroath and Robbie Neilson helped me fall back in love with football

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-forward-craig-wighton-how-arbroath-and-robbie-neilson-helped-me-fall-back-love-football-3014149

Interesting snippets from Rab Douglas’ column in The Courier. He mentions Wighton’s good attitude in being farmed out to AFC last season and his performance in his win at Tannadice in front of a Nielson were influential. But also that Craig Gordon’s wage will be more than the entire Arbroath payroll.