Queen of the South vs Raith Rovers, 24/10/2020

6 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

The fourth is possibly the worst on of the lot. The midfield is nonexistent and the closest man in the middle of the park to the attacker is our RB ffs!

Nortey seemed to drift central time and time again, see the image below

4 hours ago, Duncypoo said:

How Dan Armstrong was able to get the pass off, which eventually leads to a shot on goal from this position? wowee

Dan.jpg

I suppose this is what can happen when you sign a central midfielder to play Right Back. There were a few occasions when he was across over towards the left wing offering to receive a short throw.

26 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

The 2nd one has several errors but Buchanan does win and clear the initial header and it looks like Ayo would have booted the loose ball clear if McCabe hadn't got in the way and backheaded it no distance.

Completely agree. That weak backheader is what allowed to ball to land at the feet of the Raith player waiting at the edge of the box. Maybe he didn't get a shout, it certainly seemed to be quite a quiet backline in terms of shouting and organising.

4 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It reminds me of a goal Connor Murray scored for us in a cup tie with Partick Thistle a couple of years ago.  A defender blootered it off his foot as he challenged for a shot.  The ball ricocheted off him into the roof of the net.  It looked like a shot at first, but it wasn't.

A screamer of a tackle into the top corner, except it was Ross Fergusson rather than Connor Murray.

33 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

This.

I missed the early part of the game yesterday dealing with some problems and only saw the last two goals we conceded "live" but having watched the excellent highlights now the criticism the defence are getting, especially Buchanan is well over the top. The 1st goal is entirely down to McCabe letting the scorer run away from him  It's bizarre people are blaming Buchanan for that though he's caught a bit square. The 2nd one has several errors but Buchanan does win and clear the initial header and it looks like Ayo would have booted the loose ball clear if McCabe hadn't got in the way and backheaded it no distance. And McKee is beaten at the back post but he's no defender. We're a wee bit unlucky twice in that goal. The chargedown is fine but flies straight to Davidson and McKee does get a flick on the header but it goes straight onto Duku's head for the goal. The 3rd again sees Raith break quickly, leaving Wullie with 2 against one and nobody tracks the runner again. The 5th is an individual cock up from Ayo. He knows it, we know it, it happens. No amount or organisation or anything else will prevent that.

Which leaves the 4th, which was an absolute car crash of a goal to lose. Firstly Ayo's clearance under no pressure is pretty aimless but Raith get the ball back on halfway. Thereafter the problem is because Nortey is inexplicably over on the left instead of right back where he should be. He doesn't get anywhere near the ball and, with Wullie too far up the park it absolutely maroons the centre halves. Buchanan can't come over because he's been left on his own on the far side with Nortey awol and Ayo decides too late to step up instead of try to make a challenge. Result is Tait had enough time to make a cup of tea and a sandwich before finishing. It's a horrible, horrible goal to lose, and it killed a game we were in danger of salvaging something from at the time.

Have you seen the build up to the second? First of all, Nortey is out of position allowing the attacker to get away easily. Then, instead of defending properly, Buchanan comes flying in and kicks the guy. That led to the free-kick which resulted in the goal. Terrible defending from the defence produced the free-kick in the first place. 
Although I absolutely agree that the midfield are posted missing most of the time. Their first half display was a disgrace. And although the second half was better, more laziness produced 2 goals. 
After laziness resulting in 2 goals last week, you’d expect a reaction this week. Which we got - even more goals from laziness. 

6 minutes ago, Flash said:

Have you seen the build up to the second? First of all, Nortey is out of position allowing the attacker to get away easily. Then, instead of defending properly, Buchanan comes flying in and kicks the guy. That led to the free-kick which resulted in the goal. Terrible defending from the defence produced the free-kick in the first place. 

Well no. As I already said, I didn't see it. I've seen what was in the highlights.

I’m actually surprised more isn’t being said about Buchanan’s wild swipe that crocked the Raith player. If that had happened to one of our players I’d be calling him all the names under the sun. It was absolutely reckless.

I suppose they are going easy on him as he was one of their best players yesterday!

18 minutes ago, DG.Roma said:

Nortey seemed to drift central time and time again, see the image below

I suppose this is what can happen when you sign a central midfielder to play Right Back. There were a few occasions when he was across over towards the left wing offering to receive a short throw.

I acknowledge Nortei prefers midfield apparently but lets not pretend he's been converted to right back out of the blue after he got here. It's a position he has played previously. He came to us on trial as a right back.

1 minute ago, palmy_cammy said:

I’m actually surprised more isn’t being said about Buchanan’s wild swipe that crocked the Raith player. If that had happened to one of our players I’d be calling him all the names under the sun. It was absolutely reckless.

I suppose they are going easy on him as he was one of their best players yesterday!

Ethan Ross was too quick for him. Buchanan didn't have any intention of harming Ross, he was just too slow going for the ball. He's too slow in almost all aspects. 

There's no use getting angry about it. You'd be as well getting mad at the rain for falling. 

1 minute ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Ethan Ross was too quick for him. Buchanan didn't have any intention of harming Ross, he was just too slow going for the ball. He's too slow in almost all aspects. 

There's no use getting angry about it. You'd be as well getting mad at the rain for falling. 

Well yes but that’s not the sort of mature and logical thinking you associate with football fans!

We're all aware how much of a donkey Buchanan is. We're also not stuck with him all season so really we should be giving our condolences on that.

19 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

We've seen far worse. It was rash from Buchanan, but as RatM says it wasn't intentional. Last season we saw Michael Tidser go knee high on Regan Hendry. 

Speaking of Hendry, he was getting a lot of plaudits from the commentators yesterday. He had a really good display and it'll be interesting to see if we can somehow get his contract extended. I'd be astonished if we could. He's an absolute class above most. 

22 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

We've seen far worse. It was rash from Buchanan, but as RatM says it wasn't intentional. Last season we saw Michael Tidser go knee high on Regan Hendry. 

Speaking of Hendry, he was getting a lot of plaudits from the commentators yesterday. He had a really good display and it'll be interesting to see if we can somehow get his contract extended. I'd be astonished if we could. He's an absolute class above most. 

I'm sure Hendry will want to test himself in the Premiership next season so I think it should be fairly easy to get him to sign up ;)

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I acknowledge Nortei prefers midfield apparently but lets not pretend he's been converted to right back out of the blue after he got here. It's a position he has played previously. He came to us on trial as a right back.

Yep understood, however his performance yesterday did not show us this at all. Hopefully his positional discipline improves if he's to continue there for the season. 

The more I look at that second Rovers goal, the more freakishly flukey it becomes.

An extraordinary stroke of luck.  

If Danny Baker still made those videos, I'd fully expect it to appear.

All credit to Raith for taking full advantage of such a remarkable incident.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Said at the time I think it was clumsy and badly timed more than anything else, don’t think it was malicious and unfortunately these things happen in football. Hopefully it’s not too serious for Ross but knowing our luck it will be. I’d only be raging if I thought it was deliberate.

45 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Just watched the highlights on Raith TV there and I must admit the noise that comes from the Palmerston tannoy after Queens score is absolutely fucking horrific. My cat is still hiding under the couch. 

Aye it is pretty cringey when that gets blasted out - particularly when we’re getting pumped!

Hendry looked a real class player at League One and so far looks a standout in the Championship too. I’d love us to have him long term but I wouldn’t be surprised if we receive a bid for him this season as he’s being noticed by other teams fans so you can bet he’s on the Radar of other teams Scouts. When he does move on ☹️ hopefully we can get a good fee with sell on clauses. With Hendry, Tait, Armstrong, Mathews and Ross our midfield is free flowing and great to watch.

Hendry’s deal is up at the end of the season. I got the impression from the way he was talking in his half time piece during the East Fife game that he was eyeing moving on to bigger things. Perhaps just the way I interpreted it, and I sincerely hope I’m wrong as he’s as good a midfielder as I can remember playing for us.

On 25/10/2020 at 18:51, Monkey Tennis said:

The more I look at that second Rovers goal, the more freakishly flukey it becomes.

An extraordinary stroke of luck.  

If Danny Baker still made those videos, I'd fully expect it to appear.

All credit to Raith for taking full advantage of such a remarkable incident.

It’s not a stroke of luck, it’s incredibly poor defending. He seems to pull out the header and goes for a flick rather than a full on headed clearance. Poor defending with a hint of luck, ‘definitely not and extraordinary stroke of luck’.

Add to that the fact the boy marking him comes up to Duku’s shoulders, I’d be looking at why one of the CBs aren’t tight on him.

Edited by Holy Marv

39 minutes ago, Holy Marv said:

Add to that the fact the boy marking him comes up to Duku’s shoulders, I’d be looking at why one of the CBs aren’t tight on him.

I think the fact that our defence is a disorganised shambles has already been well covered.