Queen of the South vs Raith Rovers, 24/10/2020

8 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Looking back at the fourth and you're correct, it's an utter gift for Dylan Tait.

Queens don't have so much as a back line there but three defenders and a wing back. Tumilty put the ball in for Spencer who had so much time to turn 180 and look up to pick a pass. Nortey is well out of position and there's acres of space for Tait to move into as Gibson is still well ahead of the central defenders. Ferguson doesn't cover himself in much glory either as the ball seems to go right down the middle. It's a well timed run from Tait but the most of it was of Queen's own making. 

RRFCQOS4.PNG

Can we sack this shower now and start again?

43 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Looking back at the fourth and you're correct, it's an utter gift for Dylan Tait.

Queens don't have so much as a back line there but three defenders and a wing back. Tumilty put the ball in for Spencer who had so much time to turn 180 and look up to pick a pass. Nortey is well out of position and there's acres of space for Tait to move into as Gibson is still well ahead of the central defenders. Ferguson doesn't cover himself in much glory either as the ball seems to go right down the middle. It's a well timed run from Tait but the most of it was of Queen's own making. 

RRFCQOS4.PNG

It’s set up by a brilliant tackle by Davo in our own half, wins the ball and keeps it in play allowing Bene/Tumilty to break up the park.

Edited by Beastie Russell

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:
12 hours ago, Roath Raver said:
Highlights for this week. Thanks to QoS for supplying us with the footage. 

Those goals really are absolutely awful from our point of view. First one, McCabe fails to track his man but I'd blame Buchanan almost as much. He's marking no one. You could argue his man is Duku but he's nowhere near him either. That ball could have just as easily ended in the net if it was passed to the right. Second goal, McKee (for the second week running) fails to mark his man and it's a free header. Third, McCabe looks like he should be tracking him again and once more Buchanan is in no man's land. Trying to play the offside trap or just couldn't be fucked running anymore. Appalling regardless. The fourth is possibly the worst on of the lot. The midfield is nonexistent and the closest man in the middle of the park to the attacker is our RB ffs! Ayo takes all the credit for no. 5. Just atrocious defensively but not all down to the actual defenders. The midfield need to start doing their job correctly as well.

The second goal watch closely again, McKee gets his head to the ball first but it  lands kindly on to the head of striker and Ferguson can’t quite reach it. 

7 minutes ago, Broony88 said:

The second goal watch closely again, McKee gets his head to the ball first but it  lands kindly on to the head of striker and Ferguson can’t quite reach it. 

Yes, it's actually rather flukey.  It deflects off the striker's head in a goalbound direction.

A stronger hand from Ferguson still keeps it out though.

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, it's actually rather flukey.  It deflects off the striker's head in a goalbound direction.

A stronger hand from Ferguson still keeps it out though.

Or, a header, as it  used to be known.

8 minutes ago, renton said:

Or, a header, as it  used to be known.

It's a deflection.  Yes he's jumping to win the header, but it hits off him in a way he knows nothing about until he deightedly sees it loop across the goalkeeper.  He certainly didn't direct it there.

It reminds me of a goal Connor Murray scored for us in a cup tie with Partick Thistle a couple of years ago.  A defender blootered it off his foot as he challenged for a shot.  The ball ricocheted off him into the roof of the net.  It looked like a shot at first, but it wasn't.

Same thing here.  If you don't recognise the essential flukeyness that took that into the net, there's something wrong.

Said it yesterday,  the first goal,  for me,  starts with Fitzpatrick on our left at the halfway line,  not even bothering putting in as much as a half hearted tackle on the Raith man who drifts past him and sets up the attack. Yes there were others who could have done better after that,  but any defence is going to be under pressure if they've got a powder puff midfield in front of them. 

Yesterday was as comfortable a win as we're likely to have this season. From the get go the team were pressing high and forcing the mistakes and first half it really could have been 5/6 for us. Queens had the better of the opening 20 minutes in the second half but at no time did I think we were going to lose that game. We played into their hands by just launching the ball long for duku to chase in this period but as soon as Queens got their 2nd we seemed to take control back. A few clearances off the line but that's why you put men on the posts. If I was a queen's fan I'd be worried about the season ahead. I can see why Partick fans were so annoyed about only being 2 points behind now but if it had been a normal season I reckon both would have went down regardless. All the best for the rest of the season, its not going to be an easy one with that defence.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It's a deflection.  Yes he's jumping to win the header, but it hits off him in a way he knows nothing about until he deightedly sees it loop across the goalkeeper.  He certainly didn't direct it there.

It reminds me of a goal Connor Murray scored for us in a cup tie with Partick Thistle a couple of years ago.  A defender blootered it off his foot as he challenged for a shot.  The ball ricocheted off him into the roof of the net.  It looked like a shot at first, but it wasn't.

Same thing here.  If you don't recognise the essential flukeyness that took that into the net, there's something wrong.

Looked at the highlights again and Duku actually makes a heading motion as the ball comes onto the Queen's defender.

Also noticed our defender marking your second goal scorer never attempted to get off the ground to challenge as he was on his heels rather than toes.

Such fine lines between success and failure.

Edited by embow

Nup, McKee is to blame there. You're right that he got a touch to the ball but had he been in a better position he'd heave cleared it comfortably so saying he got a touch to it only makes it worse. He close enough to Duku initially that he literally has a hand on him. Instead of staying that tight he drifts away from him. He then gets needlessly closer to our own defender rather than the attacker and the goal is the result. Why he doesn't stick with the attacker until the ball is cleared is beyond me. It's lazy defending on his part and it's exactly the same as the goal he cost us last week.

4 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The fourth goal goes in bizarrely.  Obviously, the attacker gets in ridiculously easily, but the finish just drifts past the 'keeper gently, but somehow goes right in the middle.  His positioning looked poor for the fifth too, although again only an outfield mistake created the situation.

We're clearly dreadful at the back all round, but I fear once more that our goalkeeper is an integral part of that.

I had to rewatch the 4th goal about five times to figure it out, all the body language looked like he had gone across the keeper but then the net bulges right in the middle so presume he beat him at his front post. Fifth goal reminded me of myself taking my turn in goals at fives where the goal hanger gets clean through and I dangle a token foot out whilst knowing I’m not going to get the blame because some lazy bar steward left him wide open

Edited by ribzanelli

1 hour ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

See the source image

Was it not ? Raith deserved the points but I don’t think many would agree with you that the final score reflected the chances created by the teams over the 90 mins. 

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:
3 hours ago, Broony88 said:

Nup, McKee is to blame there. You're right that he got a touch to the ball but had he been in a better position he'd heave cleared it comfortably so saying he got a touch to it only makes it worse. He close enough to Duku initially that he literally has a hand on him. Instead of staying that tight he drifts away from him. He then gets needlessly closer to our own defender rather than the attacker and the goal is the result. Why he doesn't stick with the attacker until the ball is cleared is beyond me. It's lazy defending on his part and it's exactly the same as the goal he cost us last week.

You said he had a free header which isn’t true, I would say it’s unfortunate that McKee gets something on the header and it bounces off the attackers head and in. 

Edited by Broony88

1 hour ago, qos1990 said:

Honestly think our midfield are more the problem than our defence. Defence never covered themselves in glory don’t get me wrong, their getting absolutely no protection at all.

I think it’s basically a case that our midfield are shit and our defence are shite. And our goalkeeper is questionable.

1 minute ago, palmy_cammy said:

I think it’s basically a case that our midfield are shit and our defence are shite. And our goalkeeper is questionable.

They are a mixture of the lazy, the incompetent and both. 

1 hour ago, qos1990 said:

Honestly think our midfield are more the problem than our defence. Defence never covered themselves in glory don’t get me wrong, their getting absolutely no protection at all.

This.

I missed the early part of the game yesterday dealing with some problems and only saw the last two goals we conceded "live" but having watched the excellent highlights now the criticism the defence are getting, especially Buchanan is well over the top. The 1st goal is entirely down to McCabe letting the scorer run away from him  It's bizarre people are blaming Buchanan for that though he's caught a bit square. The 2nd one has several errors but Buchanan does win and clear the initial header and it looks like Ayo would have booted the loose ball clear if McCabe hadn't got in the way and backheaded it no distance. And McKee is beaten at the back post but he's no defender. We're a wee bit unlucky twice in that goal. The chargedown is fine but flies straight to Davidson and McKee does get a flick on the header but it goes straight onto Duku's head for the goal. The 3rd again sees Raith break quickly, leaving Wullie with 2 against one and nobody tracks the runner again. The 5th is an individual cock up from Ayo. He knows it, we know it, it happens. No amount or organisation or anything else will prevent that.

Which leaves the 4th, which was an absolute car crash of a goal to lose. Firstly Ayo's clearance under no pressure is pretty aimless but Raith get the ball back on halfway. Thereafter the problem is because Nortey is inexplicably over on the left instead of right back where he should be. He doesn't get anywhere near the ball and, with Wullie too far up the park it absolutely maroons the centre halves. Buchanan can't come over because he's been left on his own on the far side with Nortey awol and Ayo decides too late to step up instead of try to make a challenge. Result is Tait had enough time to make a cup of tea and a sandwich before finishing. It's a horrible, horrible goal to lose, and it killed a game we were in danger of salvaging something from at the time.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Still at least you’ve got Dobbie so that’s something. Still early in the season and time to get a couple of loans in, be a tough game next weekend at East End as Pars look a decent team this season. Long way to go in the league before anything is decided.

The early part of the game you missed is the part where Raith looked like scoring every time they entered our half.

Gibson and Nortey looked exactly like what they are which is square pegs in round holes. Buchanan was an immobile rabbit in headlights, and Ayo was all over the place except for being where he should be.

It was as shambolic a half of football as you will see from a team.

They played exactly like how you’d expect a team with no manager to play, just an absolute rabble. But I’m not sure if that excuse stands up to much scrutiny, yes the management team were absent, and yes both temporary managers were on the park, but they had all week to pick the team and formulate a plan. The way that first half went it was as if the team had never met before.