Queen of the South vs Raith Rovers, 24/10/2020

3 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Grass surfaces are only the enemy when they are a quagmire. So basically the majority of Scottish lower league pitches in winter when there’s heavy rain - Stranraer, Dumbarton, Brechin. Any more you can think of?

I’m not a fan of shit plastic pitches either, like Forfar’s one.

You’re in for a treat.

13 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Both teams 8/5 to win on Bet365. Sounds about right. I haven’t a clue who’ll win either. A draw it is. I’ll bet on us to win, that should seal the deal.

Bet365 are giving great odds there, I wouldn’t expect that high a return from beating QoS 

The first Rovers v QOS game I was at was around 1964/65 at Starks Park. I m not sure but I think QOS won that day, my abiding memory was of their goalkeeper Alan Ball was his name and I think he made some good saves during the game. It was a long time ago and the old memory box isn't the same as it used to be.

13 minutes ago, steakngravy said:

The first Rovers v QOS game I was at was around 1964/65 at Starks Park. I m not sure but I think QOS won that day, my abiding memory was of their goalkeeper Alan Ball was his name and I think he made some good saves during the game. It was a long time ago and the old memory box isn't the same as it used to be.

https://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=2102&team2_id=2090&teamTabs=h2h

1 hour ago, steakngravy said:

Aye!

And the keeper before him was a certain George Farm.😉

Edited by embow

30 minutes ago, embow said:

Aye!

And the keeper before him was a certain George Farm.😉

Farm was Queens goalie/Manager when I first started going to Palmerston. Allan Ball signed in '63? and went on to become an outstanding keeper for Queens over many years and was a true club legend.  Memories of him include him playing the second half of a Cup tie at Ayr, with what was reported at the time as a broken leg, a game which we drew 2-2 thanks to Allan's heroics,  and losing a goal from a long,  wind assisted kick-out from East Stirling goalie George Wood.  I'm sure the ball bounced about the Queens 18 yard line and flew over Allan's head into the net. Allan is sadly no longer with us but was a weel-kent and respected face around town and in Scottish football. 

41 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It's a nice piece, but I'm not having it that Dykes saved Queens.

Had he been capable of scoring goals on an even infrequent basis, we wouldn't have been in such difficulty.

If Lyndon Dykes saved a family of 4 from drowning in a sinking car you'd be on here criticising him for not going back to save their dog! He's clearly referring to an individual playoff game, not an entire season.

I don't think he did "save" us anyway in that there's no particular evidence that we would have lost the game without him, but anyone who watched that game couldn't fail to acknowledge he completely dominated it. He scored one, forced another own goal, struck the post and generally terrorised Rovers backline all night.

8 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

I've done a wee preview of the game here.  Thanks to @19QOS19

Bookmarked your page, been well constructed and very enjoyable so far...

...onto the game, Dumfries was always one of the finer away days for me, mixed bag of results from the handful times I've been there, will probably buy the stream and hope for a Rovers win but would be happy with a point. Still far too early in the season to tell how good our signings are, suppose the same could be said of Queens, certainly would not put this on any coupon, far too tricky to call.

Edited by keyser_soze

10 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

If Lyndon Dykes saved a family of 4 from drowning in a sinking car you'd be on here criticising him for not going back to save their dog! He's clearly referring to an individual playoff game, not an entire season.

I don't think he did "save" us anyway in that there's no particular evidence that we would have lost the game without him, but anyone who watched that game couldn't fail to acknowledge he completely dominated it. He scored one, forced another own goal, struck the post and generally terrorised Rovers backline all night.

He also missed a sitter. Just saying.

26 minutes ago, Jan mosniack said:

He also missed a sitter. Just saying.

Given its fitba, you can pretty much say that in any game!

@Mr X, do I correctly understand that while the stream starts 30 minutes before kickoff, you can login and connect prior to that? I just want to be early enough to avoid the inevitable slow joining issues that seem endemic across the Championship.