Queen of the South vs Raith Rovers, 24/10/2020

8 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Surely allot of goals at this level come from crosses, or set pieces? 3 of the 4 goals in our game on Saturday were from crosses, 2 out of the 2 goals against Falkirk were from crosses... 

At this level where tika taka football and 30 yard screamers are quite rare, getting the ball into the box/getting to the byline and cutting it back is a very effective method against all defences. How do you specifically train against it? A good ball into the box will have you in danger. 

^^^^^^ This.

There's no doubt that better organisation/communication in the centre of defence can't go wrong for when the ball does come in to the box - especially with a newly formed squad like QOS have.  Equally, when you watch the top sides they always work really hard to close down the wide men and stop the crosses coming in at source in the first place.  Easier said than done I guess.

1 hour ago, TOPFITTER said:

Unfortunately in Scottish football the "Prima Donna's" who are called to officiate in football games have an undue influence in the games, their substandard efforts can negate any positives a team can produce and also accentuate any mistakes and so the last thing you want to be doing is gifting unearned chances to your opponents. This of course is only my opinion based on an ever dwindling expectation of enjoyable attacking football, given what I have watched over the last 50 years of the Scottish game. So if we can defend well and attack as this side is showing they can that'll do me, anything more is a bonus !!!

My biggest trial Saturday will not be the football but negotiating technology to obtain a full 90 minute stream Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

These days, a full 90 minute stream is par for the course for me, especially in the mornings!

1 hour ago, TOPFITTER said:

My biggest trial Saturday will not be the football but negotiating technology to obtain a full 90 minute stream 

Normally stick to RaithTV audio, but I decided to give QoSTV a go, hope it goes well!

Looking forward to more crosses than a Alabama klan rally!

Given the amount of pant wetting from both sets of fans this season about the state of our respective defences, I'm thoroughly looking forward to a turgid 0-0 on Saturday. 
I've been impressed with our new defenders tbh. I don't think they've done too much wrong. Even the crosses/corners haven't been entirely their fault, the goals on Saturday were midfielders failing to track (and Maxwell as well tbf). Our weakness at defending set pieces is down to the whole team.

I've been impressed with our new defenders tbh. I don't think they've done too much wrong. Even the crosses/corners haven't been entirely their fault, the goals on Saturday were midfielders failing to track (and Maxwell as well tbf). Our weakness at defending set pieces is down to the whole team.
I'm just wondering what your thoughts are on crosses and our ability to defend them?

14 hours ago, Messi Scott said:

You don’t need to listen to me to know we’re favourites against QoS 

Both teams 8/5 to win on Bet365. Sounds about right. I haven’t a clue who’ll win either. A draw it is. I’ll bet on us to win, that should seal the deal.

Hopefully the weather isn’t as bad as that forecast predicts. I really enjoy watching us under McGlynn, we are a very decent footballing side on our day.

However, when stormy conditions make that impossible we don’t tend to adapt very well and I don’t think we really have personnel suited for when things become a slugfest. Thinking particularly of the draw at Stranraer and defeat away to Dumbarton last season in similar conditions.

Hopefully the physicality of Duku up top helps us on that front this season. 

2 hours ago, R.R.FC said:

Hopefully the weather isn’t as bad as that forecast predicts. I really enjoy watching us under McGlynn, we are a very decent footballing side on our day.

However, when stormy conditions make that impossible we don’t tend to adapt very well and I don’t think we really have personnel suited for when things become a slugfest. Thinking particularly of the draw at Stranraer and defeat away to Dumbarton last season in similar conditions.

Hopefully the physicality of Duku up top helps us on that front this season. 

Stranraer and Dumbarton have grass pitches. Maybe we’ll fare better on an artificial one.

Edited by Scary Bear

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

Stranraer and Dumbarton have grass pitches. Maybe we’ll fare better on an artificial one.

How times have changed. I remember in McGlynn's first spell he almost had us beaten before a ball was kicked every time we played on an artificial surface. Now grass surfaces are the enemy.

48 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

How times have changed. I remember in McGlynn's first spell he almost had us beaten before a ball was kicked every time we played on an artificial surface. Now grass surfaces are the enemy.

Grass surfaces are only the enemy when they are a quagmire. So basically the majority of Scottish lower league pitches in winter when there’s heavy rain - Stranraer, Dumbarton, Brechin. Any more you can think of?

I’m not a fan of shit plastic pitches either, like Forfar’s one.

Edited by Scary Bear