Queen of the South vs Raith Rovers, 24/10/2020

Wasnt Morton's 2nd absolutely from them 'cutting us open'? It wasnt from a set piece. Guy got in down the left following some nice passing and fired a ball across the face of goal which was turned in with a well timed back post run.
It was a cross which we all know how good we are at dealing with those. When I say cutting us open I mean through the middle.

33 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
42 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:
Wasnt Morton's 2nd absolutely from them 'cutting us open'? It wasnt from a set piece. Guy got in down the left following some nice passing and fired a ball across the face of goal which was turned in with a well timed back post run.

It was a cross which we all know how good we are at dealing with those. When I say cutting us open I mean through the middle.

We generally look to be quite good at dealing with them from open play at the moment, to be fair.

44 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
53 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'm not even sure it was a cross to be honest, I think he was shooting. It was fired in at ground level too, hardly a 'cross' in the classic sense of the word. And it didnt come from especially wide either. It was well inside the box. 

To be honest very few goals come from passing limited to within the width of the 6 yard box. You are desperately looking for something to fit your 'cant deal with crosses' mantra here. I'd give them credit for cutting us open when they did.

58 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Surely a slick passing move up the wing,  cutting out/getting past a couple of defenders/midfielders and getting the ball into the danger area can be seen as cutting us open,  it doesn't have to be through the middle.  I'm talking generally here rather than a specific incident. 

12 hours ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

I was surprised to see the Rovers priced as (marginal) favourites for this one earlier. I don't necessarily disagree, and maybe home advantage ain't want it used to be, but the bookies seem to be giving up on Queens very early. I could maybe understand it if you'd been hammered by Ayr, but by all accounts it was a fairly even game and their keeper was a standout.

Does that pricing feel right? I'm not so sure. 

The bookies might only be looking at form and not factoring in performances or the fact we have a new team.

Our overall league results in 2020 are
LLLDLLLDDLL

Home league results in 2020 
LLLLL

Results in all competitions in 2020
LLLDLLLDDLDDDL

Home results in all competitions in 2020
LLLLLDD

Results in all competitions this season
DDDL

11 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

I'm interested to see what Queens are like. They've brought in Nortey and Obileye from down south where I'd imagine it'll be similar to us with Duku and Musonda in that nobody will have a clue what they were like. Gozie and Obileye both played for Ebbsfleet last season so there's a link there! 

Aside from Dobbie, Fitzpatrick got rave reviews from the Partick fans prior to going to Norwich. Shields was a nuisance for Albion Rovers and had a big part in Trouten scoring so many goals in the season they got relegated. The only other one I can speak with a degree of confidence about is Joe McKee who got the highest number of assists in league one last season I believe. 

It should be a good test for us. For all that we were really very good for that last hour on Saturday I can't imagine that Queens will capitulate in the same feeble manner that Arbroath did.

I'll be delighted if they do, though.

I'm not even sure it was a cross to be honest, I think he was shooting. It was fired in at ground level too, hardly a 'cross' in the classic sense of the word. And it didnt come from especially wide either. It was well inside the box.  To be honest very few goals come from passing limited to within the width of the 6 yard box. You are desperately looking for something to fit your 'cant deal with crosses' mantra here. I'd give them credit for cutting us open when they did.

We can't deal with crosses. I don't need to "desperately" look for evidence as it's clear to see in every game we've played so far this season and for most of our games in the last two. It's our biggest issue and if we could work on it we won't be anywhere near bottom spot this season.

Edited to add after having watched the goal back that I can't see how it can be construed as anything other than a cross. A cross on the ground is still a cross. They hardly sliced us open beforehand either. The boy hoofed it out wide (dare I say crossed it??) and the other boy dropped the shoulder before firing across goal. As per set pieces, the guy is wide open at the back to tap it in.

14 minutes ago, Flash said:

The bookies might only be looking at form and not factoring in performances or the fact we have a new team.

LLLDLLLDDLL

LLLLL

LLLDLLLDDLDDDL

LLLLLDD

DDDL

Hope you didn't break the L and D buttons on your keyboard typing that out!

32 minutes ago, Flash said:

LLLDLLLDDLL

LLLLL

LLLDLLLDDLDDDL

LLLLLDD

DDDL

Banker on a home win. Rovers, traditionally, are always good for helping sides break a bad run. 

LLLDLLLDDLL
LLLLL
LLLDLLLDDLDDDL
LLLLLDD
DDDL

Jeez that is depressing to read. [emoji19]

LLLDLLLDDLL
LLLLL
LLLDLLLDDLDDDL
LLLLLDD
DDDL
And yet you'll still get idiot opposition fans giving it the "Queens have an advantage with their pitch" [emoji38]

58 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

We can't deal with crosses. I don't need to "desperately" look for evidence as it's clear to see in every game we've played so far this season and for most of our games in the last two. It's our biggest issue and if we could work on it we won't be anywhere near bottom spot this season.

Edited to add after having watched the goal back that I can't see how it can be construed as anything other than a cross. A cross on the ground is still a cross. They hardly sliced us open beforehand either. The boy hoofed it out wide (dare I say crossed it??) and the other boy dropped the shoulder before firing across goal. As per set pieces, the guy is wide open at the back to tap it in.

Personally I think a ball fired across the face of goal at ground level is something different to the "crosses" we've been discussing. It's not the same as the other goals. I've just watched it again too and to be fair there's less "build up" to it than I thought there was but I still think it's a shot on target and I think Ferguson gets a hand on it to help it across to Nesbitt.

Take the point that nobody tracks the back post run though.

Surely allot of goals at this level come from crosses, or set pieces? 3 of the 4 goals in our game on Saturday were from crosses, 2 out of the 2 goals against Falkirk were from crosses... 

At this level where tika taka football and 30 yard screamers are quite rare, getting the ball into the box/getting to the byline and cutting it back is a very effective method against all defences. How do you specifically train against it? A good ball into the box will have you in danger. 

2 hours ago, Flash said:

LLLDLLLDDLL

LLLLL

LLLDLLLDDLDDDL

LLLLLDD

DDDL

With a record like that I can see why Partick Thistle we so aggrieved at their demotion last season!

Surely allot of goals at this level come from crosses, or set pieces? 3 of the 4 goals in our game on Saturday were from crosses, 2 out of the 2 goals against Falkirk were from crosses... 

At this level where tika taka football and 30 yard screamers are quite rare, getting the ball into the box/getting to the byline and cutting it back is a very effective method against all defences. How do you specifically train against it? A good ball into the box will have you in danger. 
They don't need to be good balls into the box against us...

17 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

I think having a player like Dom Thomas, whose delivery is so good, is possibly skewing your findings a little. 

This Rovers side finds it's width from its fullbacks and although Manny Duku is a big unit, we haven't spent much time whipping crosses into him. Rather we're using him as a point man and playing three mobile midfielders off him. 

We scored three against Arbroath on Saturday; an inverted wide midfielder cutting inside and shooting, a ball over the top for an overlapping fullback, and a penalty. 

Given the strength of Arbroath's central defence, and the alleged weakness of Queen of the South's, I'm interested to see how much that focus changes. I think at a minimum we'll see Saturday's short corners swapped out for some balls into the box. I wonder how much the likes of Ethan Ross and Dan Armstrong will look to deliver crosses to Duku instead of being more direct themselves.