Dundee vs Greenock Morten

11 minutes ago, The Derry said:

If we don't beat these fucking losers then really what's the point?

A question that multiple generations of Dundee fans have asked themselves, since Kaiser Wilhelm II sent congratulations by new-fangled telegram to mark their most recent Scottish Cup win.

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

A question that multiple generations of Dundee fans have asked themselves, since Kaiser Wilhelm II sent congratulations by new-fangled telegram to mark their most recent Scottish Cup win.

Shut up, dweeb.

6 minutes ago, The Derry said:

Shut up, dweeb.

I think I'll continue instead champ, thanks for playing anyway.

Dundee are clear favourites being at home but it's an interesting match-up: particularly in central midfield, where Dundee will put some pretty old and slow players with quality up against our array of jobbers who will chase anything that moves for most of the game. Either our pressing will work to give Dundee the runaround or we'll take a shoeing: I'd be most surprised if the game ended in a boring draw.

32 minutes ago, virginton said:

A question that multiple generations of Dundee fans have asked themselves, since Kaiser Wilhelm II 

I can see why you're confused but it was actually Dundee United and Mixu Paatelainen after a shoo'in at Parkheid.

On 20/10/2020 at 23:55, TheGoon said:

As noted, missing McPake is a pain in the arse but one of our other 75 attackers should be able to step in. I was quite encouraged by us and our pressing in the first half against Alloa but we’re still conceding too many silly chances that a slightly less gubbins team will actually take advantage of. I’d take a draw at this stage, we’ll struggle to stink the joint out more than our last trip to Dens.

9 hours ago, virginton said:

I think I'll continue instead champ, thanks for playing anyway.

Dundee are clear favourites being at home but it's an interesting match-up: particularly in central midfield, where Dundee will put some pretty old and slow players with quality up against our array of jobbers who will chase anything that moves for most of the game. Either our pressing will work to give Dundee the runaround or we'll take a shoeing: I'd be most surprised if the game ended in a boring draw.

These issues have me leaning towards a more conventional 3-5-1-1 with an extra body in the middle of the park and Nesbitt playing off Orsi rather than having a straight replacement for McPake.That'll weaken our pressing of the defence compared to Saturday but I think we need more positional discipline here - if we have three attackers and at times both wing backs as well pressing 20 yards into the opposition half it's inevitably going to leave space for their midfield to pick us off regardless of their lack of pace. With Forster missing out for Dundee the pressing's less likely to force a ridiculous comedy error anyway.

Crowd the midfield out a bit more with another body in there, have Salkeld and Strapp (hopefully) maintain their positioning as wing backs rather than bombing forward to press out of possession and let McAlister and Jacobs focus on harrassing f**k out of the opposition centrally. I'd go for Colville but there’s an argument for Lyon if you want more of a physical presence and pace, either way you're looking for that third man to move us up the park quickly when we win possession.

That might be a bit of a slap in the face for the five (:lol:) players who could replace McPake in a like for like change, but tough. It'll give Orsi and Nesbitt a bit of a thankless task having to run themselves into the ground doing the pressing but having all those attacking options on the bench will allow us to change it early.

Edited by Dunning1874

12 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

These issues have me leaning towards a more conventional 3-5-1-1 with an extra body in the middle of the park and Nesbitt playing off Orsi rather than having a straight replacement for McPake.

^^^

1495293028289.jpg.695b8f7c3c4e107e471dbdce1bd61834.jpg

13 minutes ago, virginton said:

^^^

1495293028289.jpg.695b8f7c3c4e107e471dbdce1bd61834.jpg

The 6 man midfield was more of a John McCormack special than McInally. McInally preferred a 4-4-2 with two right wingers and no one on the left, or a 4-5-1 with four centre forwards in the starting XI.

Brian Graham on the left wing. Halcyon days. Think he scored at Dens playing as a winger actually.

McInally played a 3-6-1 at East End Park with Jamie Stevenson as the falsest of false nines and Peter Weatherson at centre back.

Thanks to the world-beating incompetence of the current Ireland manager in the Dunfermline dugout, we won 1-0 anyway. 

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

McInally played a 3-6-1 at East End Park with Jamie Stevenson as the falsest of false nines and Peter Weatherson at centre back.

Thanks to the world-beating incompetence of the current Ireland manager in the Dunfermline dugout, we won 1-0 anyway. 

That was a 4-5-1 with Weatherson at right back, Templeman at centre forward with Stevenson in attacking midfield and rearing it's head again, Brian Graham on the wing.

2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

These issues have me leaning towards a more conventional 3-5-1-1 with an extra body in the middle of the park and Nesbitt playing off Orsi rather than having a straight replacement for McPake.

Think that’s exactly what he’ll do... but, for this particular game, I’d be happier with a simple 4-5-1 to get the three in the middle of the park, still leaving you two wide players to press, one of them coming off the wing to support Orsi/Maciver when we’re in possession down the other side. There’s also likely to be periods in this game when we’re not pressing high, but sitting deeper and letting their defenders have the ball, so 4-5-1 might be a better set up for counter-attacking... and there’s no shortage of replacements for McPake either...

(All that’s assuming Strapp is back, of course, because Robbie fkn Muirhead at left-back in a four will make Robbie fkn Muirhead at wing-back in a five look world class...)

Dundee have obvious weaknesses, but I’m not confident we have what it takes to expose them. Stop their midfield playing, we might nick something; if we don’t, routine defeat incoming.