Dundee vs Greenock Morten

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I don't think wins get much more straightforward than that. Morton offered nothing until the last 5 minutes. They barely play with a shape, zero attacking threat and were happy to just let us knock the ball about. Muirhead provided the laughs and it's a decent Saturday all round.

Much improved from last week although I'm not sure we needed to be.

We were poor, but could easily have nicked a draw, even (or especially) with ten men and not just in the last five minutes. At least three clear chances from the point when McPake decided to shore it up and settle for the 1-0.

Not much for either side to be happy about, tbh.

2 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

We were poor, but could easily have nicked a draw, even (or especially) with ten men and not just in the last five minutes. At least three clear chances from the point when McPake decided to shore it up and settle for the 1-0.

Would be fairly happy to get out of any league game with 3 points tbh.

Just now, The Ghost of B A R P said:

I can only remember one chance that can even be deemed close to clear cut which is when Nesbit shot straight at the keeper from an angle he realistically shouldn't have been shooting from. Couple of headers from corners that were nowhere near troubling Ferrie and only looked close due to depth perception. I was not worried except for the last 5 minutes and as I said, that was the only chance Morton produced in those 5 minutes.

It really was as simple as it gets today and we didn't get out of first gear (Although I'd question whether we have the ability to get out of first gear!)

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

They barely play with a shape, zero attacking threat and were happy to just let us knock the ball about. 

If we 'barely played with a shape' and you only managed a narrow 1-0 home win then I'd be much more concerned about your club's prospects for the season than ours tbh.

Sounds like we utterly shitfested it from start to finish but not collapsing after an early goal and the welcome end of Muirhead stealing a jersey are small positives. I'd rather have seen us have a real go today but it was clearly a damage limitation exercise from the moment that the line-up was announced. 

We'll be atrocious to watch but are looking a good bet to finish 8th so far which is all that's needed from this pointless transition season for us. 

Muirhead was silly but didn'y really affect the outcome. We struggled up front until the last 15 mins. 

Our defence looks solid enough, midfield is fine just need to work on our final pass up front. 

We missed McPake, and you would imagine him and Nesbitt will give most defences a torrid time 

Just now, virginton said:

If we 'barely played with a shape' and you only managed a narrow 1-0 home win then I'd be much more concerned about your club's prospects for the season than ours tbh.

Sounds like we utterly shitfested it from start to finish but not collapsing after an early goal and the welcome end of Muirhead stealing a jersey are small positives. I'd rather have seen us have a real go today but it was clearly a damage limitation exercise from the moment that the line-up was announced. 

We'll be atrocious to watch but are looking a good bet to finish 8th so far which is all that's needed from this pointless transition season for us. 

Umm, yes, hence how I want McPake punted. Thought that was fairly obvious tbh.

Are you looking a good bet to finish 8th? Optimistic IMO.

1 minute ago, virginton said:

This is true. We are shite and still won. I can handle this for today. Rest of season needs more improvement 

Just now, #Gary said:

Seen some of the second half. Had a few half chances after the ever hopeless Muirhead was sent packing. Blessing in disguise that no fans are allowed in to watch him.

To be fair to Muirhead (Who is utterly garbage, I agree!), why in the hell is he being deployed at LB?!

No coincidence we improved with Muirhead off the park. Hopkin needs to get over his obsession with versatility and play players in their best positions for us to have a coherent system, or in the case of Muirhead and Blues send them on loan to Brechin because that's their level and they drag their teammates down with them.

It's frustrating to throw points away with such a terrible bit of defending right at the start of the game when the whole game plan was clearly to keep things tight. With that out the window and a need to attack it was clear that we had no idea what we were supposed to be doing in possession -  we were just cluelessly hammering the ball towards their box and hoping for a lucky break.

That starting XI was so obviously devoid of creativity which is a ridiculous position to be in when we have such a top heavy squad. Nesbitt should be starting every game.

Edited by Dunning1874

13 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I can only remember one chance that can even be deemed close to clear cut which is when Nesbit shot straight at the keeper from an angle he realistically shouldn't have been shooting from. Couple of headers from corners that were nowhere near troubling Ferrie and only looked close due to depth perception. I was not worried except for the last 5 minutes and as I said, that was the only chance Morton produced in those 5 minutes.

It really was as simple as it gets today and we didn't get out of first gear (Although I'd question whether we have the ability to get out of first gear!)

Header cleared off the line, Fjortoft had another header wide when he should have done better, plus Nesbitt's shot. Salkeld also put a cross on a plate that Orsi and McAlister ignored, McAlister made a mess of a chance from about eight yards, and there were three occasions when anybody but Cameron Blues might have buried it. Plenty of chances for a team that never actually created much.

Not saying we deserved anything, because we didn't, but you should have put us away long before the last twenty and didn't really look like doing so.

Edited by The Ghost of B A R P

Just now, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Header cleared off the line, Fjortoft had another header wide when he should have done better, plus Nesbitt's shot. Salkeld also put a cross on a plate that Orsi and McAlister ignored, McAlister made a mess of a chance from about eight yards, and there were three occasions when anybody but Cameron Blues might have buried it. Plenty of chances for a team that never looked actually created much.

Not saying we deserved anything, because we didn't, but you should have put us away long before the last twenty and didn't really look like doing so.

Absolutely. We've always had a tendency to absolutely shite ourselves when a team goes down to 10. This has happened for as long as I can remember. Hopefully we'll have more attacking options next week with Jakubiak being back, but I reckon the clean sheet was the main aim for us after the calamity of last week.

10 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Would be fairly happy to get out of any league game with 3 points tbh.

True, but there was nothing there (or last week) to suggest that Dundee have much hope of getting out of this league... and there's plenty to suggest that Dunfermline, ICT, and Ayr will give them problems.

Fair play to the management for identifying every problem from last week and addressing them. Hopefully we keep that shape from now on. 

I'd be very worried if I was a Morten fan, they offered nothing. Brora gave us a better game. 

16 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Umm, yes, hence how I want McPake punted. Thought that was fairly obvious tbh.

Are you looking a good bet to finish 8th? Optimistic IMO.

Heavy home defeats for Alloa and Queens as well as our win last week say that it is realistic. We'll do absolutely nothing more than that with this squad but Hopkin is prepared to shitfest effectively while the other teams in that battle are not. 

Edited by vikingTON

23 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

We are very good at defensive heading.

Beyond that, Hopkin needs to start making the right choices a bit more consistently.

Fjortoft and Salkeld good, too many of the rest invisible. Blues and, increasingly, McAlister getting right on my tits. And imagine Nesbitt having to sit on the bench watching that for an hour...

As for Muirhead, pay up half his contract and punt him to Kelty or Queen's Park as soon as possible; never want to see him in a Morton strip again.

Didnt get the stream but my understanding is that Muirhead was given a second yellow for 'remonstrating with the ref'...correct?

The comments I'm reading cant be concerning that I'm sure (Morton fan comments) ....I'm assuming he was gash?

1 minute ago, TONTROOPER said:

Didnt get the stream but my understanding is that Muirhead was given a second yellow for 'remonstrating with the ref'...correct?

The comments I'm reading cant be concerning that I'm sure (Morton fan comments) ....I'm assuming he was gash?

At one point he was 'running' down the left wing and looked like he was pulling a tractor. 

Just now, TONTROOPER said:

'Sarcastic applause' seconds after getting booked...

He was murder for 70 minutes until the ref put us all out of our misery; we were actually better after that with 10. As much Hopkin's fault as it is Muirhead's, but we've seen enough.