Albion Rovers -vs- Stenhousemuir

4 hours ago, Ralstonite said:

Mate, I didn't hear the commentary, but I'd expect a fan of the club to be passionate and a wee bit biased. Maybe just welcome the away team's fans at the beginning of the game and apologise in advance! LOL

They did that. In fact they used a bit of humour to do so; something along the lines of "we'll try to be unbiased but we think these Albion Rovers players are the best players in the world"

Personally, and I'm a bit biased myself, I thought they did well. You could hear them struggling a wee bit at the start as it dawned on them that there was a lot of time to fill with chat but they settled into a nice easy conversation after that albeit with yellow and red specs to the fore. I note what Cesc says above about getting things wrong re the away team, and I accept what he says as he's a knowledgeable guy and one of the best posters on here. However, to me they knew more about Stenny than I expected - former clubs that kind of thing. Certainly, they knew far more than me, so they'd clearly done some research over-and-above my looking at the team sheet to see what names I recognised.

The one thing that hasn't been noted in all of this, although Jack (Bozo) hints at it above, is that there won't be huge amounts of volunteers to do this, as it's a pretty daunting task, and hard to do well with no experience. I know I wouldn't even try it so credit to Ben and Jack that they gave it a go

4 hours ago, Vodka Vic said:

In general it would probably improve if there was a member of the comms team from the opposition to balance it out a bit. 

That's a cracking idea. Get Cesc invited for the next Stenny home game if COVID keeps us out that long. 

37 minutes ago, Aloysius Snuffleupagus said:

They did that. In fact they used a bit of humour to do so; something along the lines of "we'll try to be unbiased but we think these Albion Rovers players are the best players in the world"

Personally, and I'm a bit biased myself, I thought they did well. You could hear them struggling a wee bit at the start as it dawned on them that there was a lot of time to fill with chat but they settled into a nice easy conversation after that albeit with yellow and red specs to the fore. I note what Cesc says above about getting things wrong re the away team, and I accept what he says as he's a knowledgeable guy and one of the best posters on here. However, to me they knew more about Stenny than I expected - former clubs that kind of thing. Certainly, they knew far more than me, so they'd clearly done some research over-and-above my looking at the team sheet to see what names I recognised.

The one thing that hasn't been noted in all of this, although Jack (Bozo) hints at it above, is that there won't be huge amounts of volunteers to do this, as it's a pretty daunting task, and hard to do well with no experience. I know I wouldn't even try it so credit to Ben and Jack that they gave it a go

That's a cracking idea. Get Cesc invited for the next Stenny home game if COVID keeps us out that long. 

That's all one can expect from an amateur commentator, really. Aye, I agree that having an 'away' commentator would be interesting. The problem would presumably be vetting to ensure they're suitable and good enough.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/10/2020 at 19:18, ski64 said:

Based on 1 game that's a brave assessment.
Stenny were hardly stunning and both teams huffed and puffed for long spells.
Rovers are a young inexperienced team and didn't play well however in pre season and Bet Fred games they have played much better.
Rovers lost 2 poor goals chasing an equaliser and with a bit more experience would have possibly kept it close.
Stenny deserved the victory so no issues with the result.

My 'brave assessment' of Albion scrapping with Brechin looking more likely by the week.

Pub team I'm afraid fella.

15 hours ago, Neilly said:

My 'brave assessment' of Albion scrapping with Brechin looking more likely by the week.

Pub team I'm afraid fella.

Most of them would get ID'd going into pubs. We have a team of weans, and on yesterday's evidence, Brechin don't have much to worry about.