Albion Rovers -vs- Stenhousemuir

What a way to start our League 2 campaign - a trip to face the side who always seem to beat us, regardless of the circumstances! This isn't the match I'd want to kick off the season with, but what can you do.

I'm not sure what to expect from Stenhousemuir just yet - we turned in a decent second-half performance against Airdrieonians on Tuesday night (despite losing the game 2-0) and I hope we can build on that going into today's match. Callum Tapping will be the key and we must do everything we can to get him involved in our play. If we punt balls from back to front, we've got no chance - get Tapping on the ball and build our game from there.

Albion Rovers, from what I've seen, could be a handy side this term. Matty Aitken will be an important player for them. I hope their mammoth contest against Stranraer in midweek has knackered them up a bit, but that's probably wishful thinking.

I'm not sure how we'll line up but, if everyone is fit and available, why not go with:

- Botti Biabi - Tommy Muir - David Hopkirk -

- Thomas Halleran - Callum Tapping - Ryan Blair -

- Callum Yeats - Andy Munro - Creag Little - Jonathan Tiffoney -

- Graeme Smith -

I've no idea what to expect, to be honest. The heart says we can win this but the head says the Vers are taking all three points. Let's hope not!

48 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

What a way to start our League 2 campaign - a trip to face the side who always seem to beat us, regardless of the circumstances! This isn't the match I'd want to kick off the season with, but what can you do.

I'm not sure what to expect from Stenhousemuir just yet - we turned in a decent second-half performance against Airdrieonians on Tuesday night (despite losing the game 2-0) and I hope we can build on that going into today's match. Callum Tapping will be the key and we must do everything we can to get him involved in our play. If we punt balls from back to front, we've got no chance - get Tapping on the ball and build our game from there.

Albion Rovers, from what I've seen, could be a handy side this term. Matty Aitken will be an important player for them. I hope their mammoth contest against Stranraer in midweek has knackered them up a bit, but that's probably wishful thinking.

I'm not sure how we'll line up but, if everyone is fit and available, why not go with:

- Botti Biabi - Tommy Muir - David Hopkirk -

- Thomas Halleran - Callum Tapping - Ryan Blair -

- Callum Yeats - Andy Munro - Creag Little - Jonathan Tiffoney -

- Graeme Smith -

I've no idea what to expect, to be honest. The heart says we can win this but the head says the Vers are taking all three points. Let's hope not!

Ryan Blair is isolating so is unavailable. 

1 hour ago, Ralstonite said:

'Mon the Rovers! I've always had a soft spot for them. 

Are there any actual Albion Rovers supporters on here? I actually worked with one once, so they definitely exist.

Hi 😃

Not sure what to make of today, even though its Stenny and we've got a hex over them. We're a very young, raw team, but also seem to be pretty well-organised and hard-working, and I couldn't help but be impressed with them against Stranraer.

My Mrs works with Stenny's Assistant Manger and has been kidding him on that we're going to gub them; clearly taking no heed of the maxim that if you expect good things with Rovers, you will invariably be let down.

I think if we could have chosen our opening game of the season this would have been at the bottom of the list. Didn’t we lose against Albion on the opening day last season? Still it’s good to have the football back. Just wish I could be in Coatbridge this afternoon to witness it, win, lose or draw.

Well then! I'm very pleased with that. All in all, that was a pretty straightforward three points for the Warriors. Greig Spence scored midway through the first half, showing good movement to tuck David Hopkirk's centre away, Creag Little fired home a header after the interval and Botti Biabi wrapped up the game at the death with a good finish. It would have been nice to have kept a clean sheet but Matty Aitken showed perseverance to tee up Kyle Doherty with minutes remaining.

There were a couple of nervy moments, mostly instigated by Aitken, but I thought we were the better team throughout. Little and Andy Munro looked composed at the back, Callum Yeats continues to impress at left-back, Callum Tapping was probably our best player, and the frontline all worked hard. I don't think anyone could quibble about the final result.

Sterner tests await - Stirling Albion should present a far more tricky assignment - but that's a great way to kick off the season.

A special shout to the two bozos doing the commentary for Albion Rovers TV channel: rubbish.

29 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

A special shout to the two bozos doing the commentary for Albion Rovers TV channel: rubbish.

Ach! That's a bit harsh. They're just two young supporters (I'm sure one is still at school) with no training or experience. Could you not give them some tips rather than just write them off as rubbish?

Game-wise  I was impressed by Stenny. Lots of experienced players there that I'd give my eye teeth for. Our lack of experience really showed against them and whilst our young team will learn, I do worry about this season.

That was unexpected, but fully deserved. Should have been 2 or 3 up at half time but once we did get the 2nd was quite comfortable. Heart in mouth when Tapping went down in the first half. We need to keep him fit. I actually don’t remember him being this good.

Albion. Not as bad as they were during the John Brogan era, but can’t really see any positives in that performance today.

Comfortable victory against an awful Albion Rovers team.

Make no mistake they will be pushing Brechin close as the worst team in the league but we still had to get the job done on a notoriously difficult pitch and venue for ourselves.

Three good goals from our point of view. Tapping ran the show again without breaking sweat. Yeats strolled it again he's been brilliant in all the games I've seen. 

Still Blair to come back and with Halleran, Biabi and McGuigan kicking around we have some quality players not in the team just now. Promising signs but aye lets see us against decent opposition before getting carried away.

•  

Just now, Aloysius Snuffleupagus said:

Ach! That's a bit harsh. They're just two young supporters (I'm sure one is still at school) with no training or experience. Could you not give them some tips rather than just write them off as rubbish?

Game-wise  I was impressed by Stenny. Lots of experienced players there that I'd give my eye teeth for. Our lack of experience really showed against them and whilst our young team will learn, I do worry about this season.

I am probably being harsh there but the longer the game went on, the more grating they became, especially when they began to crab about the referee's performance - there was a moment when Jonathan Tiffoney went down with a knock and one of the boys yelped: "DO NOT GIVE THE BALL BACK!" as the Rovers bounded on the attack. There were also occasions where they were encouraging the referee to book (and in some cases, send off) Stenny players. Less aggravating was their lack of knowledge about some of our players - they referred to Jack Hodge as "Bryan Hodge", they couldn't pronounce Botti Biabi and they thought Andy Munro has been with us "for years" (he's been at Ochilview for less than two).

I understand fan-led commentary will be partizan and biased at points but  it turned irksome by the end this afternoon. I'd contrast it with Stirling Albion's in-house commentary team - the lead, Ben McAdam, is 18 or 19 years old, and he came across a lot more professional when he was calling their League Cup tie with Arbroath. He was far more measured and didn't allow what was happening on the park to cloud his delivery.

What I would say about the two commentators today was I learned something about the Albion Rovers team, the players' strengths and weaknesses, previous performances and how partnerships were forming in defence and attack. And, to be fair, they were reasonable in their praise for the opposition. They'll probably get better as the season goes on but they need to calm down a bit!

Comfortable victory against an awful Albion Rovers team.
Make no mistake they will be pushing Brechin close as the worst team in the league but we still had to get the job done on a notoriously difficult pitch and venue for ourselves.
Three good goals from our point of view. Tapping ran the show again without breaking sweat. Yeats strolled it again he's been brilliant in all the games I've seen. 
Still Blair to come back and with Halleran, Biabi and McGuigan kicking around we have some quality players not in the team just now. Promising signs but aye lets see us against decent opposition before getting carried away.

•  
Based on 1 game that's a brave assessment.
Stenny were hardly stunning and both teams huffed and puffed for long spells.
Rovers are a young inexperienced team and didn't play well however in pre season and Bet Fred games they have played much better.
Rovers lost 2 poor goals chasing an equaliser and with a bit more experience would have possibly kept it close.
Stenny deserved the victory so no issues with the result.

They were hardly chasing anything when they conceded the second from a straight forward set play. We were hardly amazing but created chances with alarming ease at times. Simple balls over the top in the first half and we were in numerous times. 

You couldn't fault them for effort but Stevie Wonder would note they will finish in the bottom two this season.

They were hardly chasing anything when they conceded the second from a straight forward set play. We were hardly amazing but created chances with alarming ease at times. Simple balls over the top in the first half and we were in numerous times. 
You couldn't fault them for effort but Stevie Wonder would note they will finish in the bottom two this season.
Right you are, clearly watching the game through Stenny lenses but you're entitled to your opinion.
If you don't think Rovers changing to 3 at the back in an attempt to get back into it was " chasing the game " then I don't know what is.
Enjoy your night.

9 hours ago, Aloysius Snuffleupagus said:

Hi 😃

Not sure what to make of today, even though its Stenny and we've got a hex over them. We're a very young, raw team, but also seem to be pretty well-organised and hard-working, and I couldn't help but be impressed with them against Stranraer.

My Mrs works with Stenny's Assistant Manger and has been kidding him on that we're going to gub them; clearly taking no heed of the maxim that if you expect good things with Rovers, you will invariably be let down.

I take my hat off to you, sir! Ach, I cannae blame you for being cynical. The good thing is Stranraer, Cowdenbeath and Brechin all took a hiding at home today, too. It looks like there will be plenty of competition for a wooden spoon...and there's always the cup.

4 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I am probably being harsh there but the longer the game went on, the more grating they became, especially when they began to crab about the referee's performance - there was a moment when Jonathan Tiffoney went down with a knock and one of the boys yelped: "DO NOT GIVE THE BALL BACK!" as the Rovers bounded on the attack. There were also occasions where they were encouraging the referee to book (and in some cases, send off) Stenny players. Less aggravating was their lack of knowledge about some of our players - they referred to Jack Hodge as "Bryan Hodge", they couldn't pronounce Botti Biabi and they thought Andy Munro has been with us "for years" (he's been at Ochilview for less than two).

I understand fan-led commentary will be partizan and biased at points but  it turned irksome by the end this afternoon. I'd contrast it with Stirling Albion's in-house commentary team - the lead, Ben McAdam, is 18 or 19 years old, and he came across a lot more professional when he was calling their League Cup tie with Arbroath. He was far more measured and didn't allow what was happening on the park to cloud his delivery.

What I would say about the two commentators today was I learned something about the Albion Rovers team, the players' strengths and weaknesses, previous performances and how partnerships were forming in defence and attack. And, to be fair, they were reasonable in their praise for the opposition. They'll probably get better as the season goes on but they need to calm down a bit!

From Bozo number 2 I’d like to say thank you for recognising our hard work this afternoon!!  Now Regarding Jack Hodge if you go check flash scores his name is down as Bryan Hodge. Can’t really say much about Botti Biabi, as I’ve never heard anyone say his name so I took a stab at it. Yes at times we got a bit excited, this was our first time  We tried our best to have a laugh and remain as unbiased as we could, but we slipped up and let our true colours come out every so often. Andy Munro is in his 3rd season with you’s, so ‘years’ is right. The boy at Stirling might be better than us  but not as good looking 😂 Bozo number 1 is 17 and has a passion for talking If anyone else would like the job, application open Monday 8am Good luck everyone 👍👍

1 minute ago, Bozo said:

From Bozo number 2 I’d like to say thank you for recognising our hard work this afternoon!!  Now Regarding Jack Hodge if you go check flash scores his name is down as Bryan Hodge. Can’t really say much about Botti Biabi, as I’ve never heard anyone say his name so I took a stab at it. Yes at times we got a bit excited, this was our first time  We tried our best to have a laugh and remain as unbiased as we could, but we slipped up and let our true colours come out every so often. Andy Munro is in his 3rd season with you’s, so ‘years’ is right. The boy at Stirling might be better than us  but not as good looking 😂 Bozo number 1 is 17 and has a passion for talking If anyone else would like the job, application open Monday 8am Good luck everyone 👍👍

Fair play to both of you - best of luck for the remainder of the season and I look forward to tuning into you at the start of May next year when the teams meet again.

Bozo number 1 here enjoyed my first go at commentating today when I shouted don’t kick the ball out after tiffoney went down we actually thought about apologising but decided not to thanks for your other nice comments and we’ll try and not get to excited after Aitken scores his Hat trick against Brechin!

9 hours ago, Rovers programme boy said:

Bozo number 1 here enjoyed my first go at commentating today when I shouted don’t kick the ball out after tiffoney went down we actually thought about apologising but decided not to thanks for your other nice comments and we’ll try and not get too excited after Aitken scores his Hat trick against Brechin!

Mate, I didn't hear the commentary, but I'd expect a fan of the club to be passionate and a wee bit biased. Maybe just welcome the away team's fans at the beginning of the game and apologise in advance! LOL

I gave the live streaming a miss yesterday- I am struggling to get to grips with it to be honest. From the Rovers forum the consensus was the Warriors were deserved winners. 
I have only watched two games via streaming so far - our friendly against Airdrie was like watching CCTV footage. The Stranraer game was a good bit better -I think they have a camera person instead of a AI system.

The commentary for the Stranraer game I quite liked (although one sided) as it sounded like a few fans getting together. I suppose it’s something new to most clubs and is something that can be developed with time. In general it would probably improve if there was a member of the comms team from the opposition to balance it out a bit. Ben and Jack are decent guys who like most give their best for Rovers - all clubs have people like them and more importantly need them.